iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Lorax

Started by Bert, March 08, 2012, 07:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

I'm sure you've seen the TV preview for the remake of this old Dr Seuss story. I dont know about you all but it makes me a little nervous. I can see all the kids convinced that cutting of trees is bad. I watched the 70's tv version of it last night with my 3 yr old son. I could tell he was concerned when the the onceler cut down all the trees to make his Thneeds.

The moral of the story should have been to harvest the trees in a sustainable manner, not stay out of the forest... Just sayin!
Saw you tomorrow!

DeerMeadowFarm

It's like the whole Bambi thing and it's affect on the kids thoughts about hunting as well....

Warbird

That's why my son doesn't watch crappola like that.

KBforester

Not having seen it, I tend to agree. I have read some articles about the makers getting flack from the other side as well.

I haven't seen it (I don't have TV) but I guess they endorsed an SUV ad? If its anything like the original book, it probably miss leading.

I remember growing up watching the movie Fern Gulley. Aside from the bad wrap on logging, I get worked up that they showed a forester walking in front of a machine putting X's on Every tree. Now what the hell is the point of putting X's on all the trees if you're going to cut them all down? Anyways, they did illustrate a really cool machine. Eats logs in the front, spits out boards in the back.

Trees are good.

Brad_bb

I saw it last weekend with my neices.  I could not belive the political messages they were clearly putting forth -- Business' are bad, left unchecked they will consume without regard to anything but profit and devastate the environment.  The main character continued to cut down trees until there were no more and the landscape was a wasteland.  Then he went out of business becuase he had no more trees.  How unrealistic and ridiculous!
Total radical left messages pushed on the soft minds of little kids.  Shameful!  Shame on Danny Devito for being in this trash.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

RPF2509

I would use the movie as an opportunity to promote forest management.  To me the book (I haven't seen the movie but did see the trailer) makes a great case for forest management.  I used this argument on a Sierra Clubber at an anti clearcut seminar and she basically had to shut up.  I made the point that foresrty had gone far beyond what was depicted in the book and that protecting the swanee swans, barbaloots and the fish were an intergral part of forestry (at least in North America) and all were being managed for sustainable harvest.

tcsmpsi

I watched Bambi...and thumper.  I reckon since I knew I wasn't a drawing, it didn't apply to me.  Never even had an inclination one way or other about my hunting...rabbits or deer.  Never cared for hunting skunks, anyhow.   :D

Of course, it is always better to empathize and understand the notions of others when making ones OWN decisions.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

KBforester

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 10, 2012, 03:58:16 PM
I saw it last weekend with my neices.  I could not belive the political messages they were clearly putting forth -- Business' are bad, left unchecked they will consume without regard to anything but profit and devastate the environment.  The main character continued to cut down trees until there were no more and the landscape was a wasteland.  Then he went out of business becuase he had no more trees.  How unrealistic and ridiculous!
Total radical left messages pushed on the soft minds of little kids.  Shameful!  Shame on Danny Devito for being in this trash.

I agree that exploitation is not a rule in industry, but there are plenty of instances in human history when a civilization has done just that... completely over-exploited a resource until the entire society has collapsed. It is a wise word of warning, but it's a shame they didn't go the extra mile and go in to sustainable harvesting of some kind. The Lorax should have had a paint gun in his hand, marking out a shelterwood harvest.
Trees are good.

DeerMeadowFarm

My 8 year old daughter went to see this movie over the weekend; her take on it? "It was funny!" I was cutting wood when she came back and she didn't go all crazy on me about cutting trees or anything. Maybe, as adults, we overthink this?  ???

Brad_bb

Point is, this is clearly a political agenda targeted at kids.  Not right.  And similar messages repeated again and again through movies, teachers with agendas, etc, starts to sink in to soft minds.  They don't yet have the ability to think critically for themselves.  This could have been a fun and well animated movie with the political message left out. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Tam-i-am

The movie was true to the book and Seuss clearly had an agenda.  His message/book was during the whole environmental thing of the 70's.  We have a tendency to look back at history and put today's values on them.  Good example - we do not celebrate Christopher Columbus day in school because he contributed to the slave trade.  Do kids need to know that, could we have left it as he discovered America.  We are judging him for something that was acceptable in his day.

The producers could have chosen to down play Seuss' agenda but then people would complain it was not true to the book.  It really is the job of their parents to discuss the message and other view points.

I enjoyed the movie, and while I am a Seuss fan The Lorax was never my favorite book because of his view points.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Jeff

Tammy, you should put your logrite face book link in your profile. There is a place for it so your facebook link shows up in every one of your posts.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Dee, Zach, Zander and I saw the movie last night.  Afterward they talked about how much they liked it.  When they asked me how felt I pointed out how the evil capitalist business man caused the apocalyptic landscape all for money and that I felt it was an anti-business pro eniviromental extremist film and that I felt that something could have been included about sustainable forestry.  I did like the show but don't like the message.  It didn't I'm proud to say change Zach's view of logging which is that it's fine to cut trees because new trees grow every day  ;D 8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Patty

Just goes to show you are bringing them up right, Corley! Good for you!  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

OneWithWood

All is not lost folks.  Even kids learn there are two sides to every story.  Project Learning Tree, a structured curriculum that is disseminated to schools by the American Forestry Foundation (Tree Farm) has a module developed to enable teachers to discuss the film with their students and introduce the concept of sustainable forestry.  This could actually work out ok for everyone.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!