iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

c5500 4x4 for a log truck?

Started by Rod, August 17, 2005, 07:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

So whats your opinon on a C5500 4x4 and build a 16 log bed to put on it.It would be used for small logging jobs like 1-20 acres which the big loggers wont fool with because the job is to small.I figure it could haul abou 4 0r 5 tons of logs.

Woodhog

For this class truck it would probably be the best choice... your only other choice would be the Ford F550...4x4...

I dont own one but The C5500 has a wide range of options including air ride seats etc due to
the higher cab than the F550 which only has the same cab as the F150 F250 etc.....
The Allison tranny comes in several options also if you went to the Auto...

I dont know about the economics of trucking small loads of wood, around here they went from
that size of trucks to tandems, to tandems with pup trailers then to tractor trailers  because they said they couldnt haul enough to make it pay....
They truck from daylight to dark and then go home and beat and pound on the trucks
half the night to get them running for the next day...

My trucker leaves at 5AM and rarely gets home before dark...every day...

If you cut wood also I would leave the trucking to the truckers as it is a hard competitive racket, at least around here...

but that would be a nice little truck if you need that class of truck in 4x4...

woodmills1

I would love to have one of the new big chevy 4x4's.  I would put a log loader and a dump bed for muti uses.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ScottAR

Air ride seats fit in a Ford cab.  The previous owner put some in there.  They are a little high but ride nice.  CushNaire is the brand if I remember. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Rod

well I told my buddy about my idea and he must of thought it was a good idea because he went out and bought one,$41,000 out the door.It's in the shop now having a 16' log bed made for it now.He's real good and picking out venver trees in the woods.I think this idea is to hual venver logs mostly.He sent th truck to a guy that all he does is build log truck beds.My buddy was telling me how this log bed was going to have alot of spiceal stuff on it,the bed will cost about $6000.When he gets it done I'll take some pictures of it.

rebocardo

I know nothing about the Chevy, but,  if it is going to be a log truck and has just two axles (4x4) I would make sure it had Detroit lockers and was a diesel. Myself, I would get a standard transmission so repair costs were low and so you could actually rock it if it gets stuck off road. 

I would think the next three items, after the bed, would be a very solid headache rack that protects the whole cab and winches front and back.

caryr

Rod,

I think you and your buddy will be very happy with the truck. I looked extensively at one earlier this summer (5500 4x4, diesel, Allison, ½ turn locker). It didn't quite match up with what I need, so for now I'm going to use the local truckers while I keep my eye open for a good self loader.

Also, I think the Ford truck division (>F350) was sold to Sterling.

Cary

Rod

Cary,I'll see how my buddy does with his truck,and if it works for him then I might get one.He figures he can hual about 1500 to 2000feet on it.Its and auto with some sort of jake brake on it.He said it gets good MPG.its a desil motor.

caryr

That's very smart! Let someone else workout the details first.

I wouldn't think you would have much use for a Jake brake with the smart auto, but I guess every little bit counts. I have the same basic setup in my ¾ ton pickup and it is a dream to use. The smart autos handle a load very nicely and really help save the brakes.

Cary

thedeeredude

caryr,
   Theres companies out there that make an autotranny locker so you can use a jake brakeR.  Lock up the tranny and hit the jake brakeR

wiam

The new firetruck we just got has an Allison automatic with an exhaust brake.  When the switch for the brake is on the tranny shifts itself to 2 and the exhaust brake come on when you let off the throttle.  It really slows you down.  I think it might be tricky in winter.  Might have to turn it off.

Will

caryr

Quote from: thedeeredude on August 19, 2005, 05:49:44 PM
Theres companies out there that make an autotranny locker so you can use a jake brake

I didn't realize this was an after market addition, but I do know how it works with the Allison. My point was that I didn't know how useful it was going to be, which was somewhat confirmed by Will. I have had about 10k behind/in my pickup and gone down some fairly steep hills with minimal need for brakes. If you have a large load in/on the bed like Rod's friend it will probably work fine, but I wouldn't want to use it with too much trailer behind me or on bad road conditions.

Cary

timberjack240

just go all out and but a nice big old red Mack  ;D

Rod

He had a new Mack but he sold it.His dad is a big time logger but him and his brother had a falling out so now he's going on his on in  logging .

SawDust_Studios

Hmm.  My father and mother have a Gulfstream Motorhome sitting on a C5500.  With the Allison Tranny, it is a pleasure to drive with a load.  With all the motorhome stuff, the empty weight is somewhere around 16-18kk.  The hitch is rated for 10k, so it definetely has some decent power and weight capabilities. It would likely do a bit more, but they like to keep those under 26k Combined so they don't require CDL's I guess.

Dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Rod

Righ,on a c5500 you don't need a CDL ,at lest thats what my buddy said even tho he has his CDL.He said he's oing to stick a farm plate on it

David_c

You don't need a CDL for truck. But as soon as you hook a trailer to it with a GVWR over 10,000# you will need one wheather your over 26k or not.

Rod

He said something about not needing some other stuff going across state lines with a smaller truck under CDL.

Woodhog

I was recently at the local lumber dealer and he had a c5500 there.

I crawled under the front end and measured the ground clearance at the lowest point
it was only a little less than 7 inches from some sort of fastener on the tie rod ends...

He might have to be really carefull on logging type roads.. maybe the lumber yard had some
sort of low profile model???

ironmule2004

I pull 10-tons regularly w/ an f-250 powerstroke.  I use a gooseneck dual tandem trailer. I have gone as high as 12 tons, weighing in at a total of just over 38,000lbs at the mill scales.    I don't have a CDL and I haven't ever been stopped by the D.O.T. I usually run the highways loaded at 60-65mph easily.  I  could pull 15-16 tons with this truck,  but I wouldn't be able stop it.  The truck  is all factory w/o any chip.  It will take off with 10 tons(I run a 6-speed) in granny low w/o feeding it any fuel.  I know of a Dodge 3/4 tn that also does what I do.  I don't know about the c5500 but I know that a regular 3/4 chevy couldn't do this.  It is nothing but a half ton w/ a factory body lift to make it look like more than it is.  Get under one and see for yourself.   

David_c

You may not have been stopped by DOT. But i bet you you get in a accident you will be in trouble. legal limit for towing without cdl is 10,000# unless of course you are pulling a boat or mobile home.

Rod

i think if you have a fram plate you can two over 10000  without a cdl

David_c

With farm plates you can tow and have truck that either would quilify for CDL. You can drive up to 150 miles. But the kicker with that is you need to make sure it is not being used commercally.

Rod

When the DOT pull me over I tell them I'm not for hire and they get off he step of the truck and I drive on.My buddy put on the side of his tractor trailer,''NOT FOR HIRE''. :D

Rod

I've never had the DOT check to see how far from home I was.

Thank You Sponsors!