iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 15 sawhead roller wheel gumming up

Started by Dan R, February 18, 2021, 12:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan R

Does anyone have troubles with the  sawhead roller gumming up? Mine does and causes the sawhead to bounce when cutting and causes the power feed to be jerky. 
Also any good ideas how to clean it and keep it clean?

Just to be clear it is the single wheel on the opposite track to the power feed.
Dan

ladylake

Most run a plastic or rubber scraper on both sides of the wheel.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mudfarmer

Can't go look, mill is buried under mountains of snow but there should be at least a felt wiper on that side that manual calls for you to lubricate. Does your mill have this and are you keeping it lubed/adjusted? Don't remember if there is also a plastic scraper.

What species are you milling or does this happen with anything?

Dan R

Didn't have any parts left over when I assembled the mill so I think I will fab up a couple of felt wipers for both sides of the wheel. I keep the drive side felt loaded with ATF and keep wheels clean 
I cut either Douglas fir or Western Red Cedar

Woodpecker52

The wheel should have felt wipes front and back as well as metal tabs that bolt them in place.  I added a paint brush head on the back to keep the dust off track.  The pads need to be lathered with ATF before each session as well as track.  I use compressed air to clean them after a couple of logs but my mill is stationary.

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Dan R

Thanks for the photos Woodpecker. I will have to go back and look but I don't think I got the felts or holders to attach them. I will fab some up to try to stop the wheel from bouncing.
Dan

firefighter ontheside

Definitely the wipers soaked in ATF is what you need.  I've never had an issue on the idle side, because that side is so easy to put the ATF on.  I've had similar issues on the drive side.  Its not as easy to put lube on that side, because the wiper felt is covered by the metal.  Have to remove the metal shroud and put ATF on the felt under the shroud.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!