iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The (2nd) Oldest Tree I'll Ever Cut

Started by sprucebunny, February 21, 2006, 06:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Don't think I can help ya, Tim..... Maybe if she thought they were a tool ???
I bought my x-husband a set so I'd have someone to go on adventures with ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Tim L

Im pretty sure the wife is convinced the tool is riding it !
Do the best you can and don't look back

SwampDonkey

Like Sprucebunny mentioned earlier in the thread, those white cedar keep growing after they fall over. I have some that have new cedar growing straight up from the trunk. SB's estimate of age in the rot, probably isn't far off. You'd be surprised how slow and dense them little cedars grow on wet ground. There is a section here on the old farm that was logged and has cat tails. I walked across the area a couple of weeks ago and there are little cedar starting to peak thier leaders up through them cat tails. Now that's pretty wet if there's cat tails. :D

So ya want some cedar? Here's about 3500 cords delivered in the last two weeks. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Well Murf I will stick my head on the block and ask ...  If anything I have 7 to 8 hours to hide if sher decides to come and bang on my coconut .. :D

Joan what is the oldest tree you cut down .  ???

But what I want to know is  how can you tell the futur .  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sprucebunny

;D Not to fear, gentlemen ;D

This is the oldest tree that I'm likely to ever cut down or up.

It's a yellow birch that I am told is likely to be curly.

isawlogs

How big is that yellow birch  ???

I know that it will have nice boards , you want to see what is possebly inside .  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Looks kind of like it has some bunch knots or epicormic branches. Joan, does the bark have ripples. Might not see it if it's a really old scaly barked yellow birch. Where's the crown? Or is it a victom of sun scald after the woods were cut down? I find those usually have some pocket rot if the crown dies. I have one that looks similar to that, but it's loaded with male pollen buds for this coming season. It doesn't look very pretty and the wood pecker was hack'n away at it yesterday. :D I only have one really big old feller and he hasn't a dead limb on him. The reason it survived was because of it's dominance and it's crown shades it's trunk well to.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

This has no crown and I was expecting some kind of heart rot. The woodpeckers haven't been too tough on it, yet.
I think the DBH is 16". Ya ;D I want to know what's inside. ;D

isawlogs

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Joan if it's not too far gone you might get some spalt. Might even get some foxfire up toward the top where it's been more exposed. Get out the wood lathe. ;D

isawlogs

Joan , I have a boaed left here from a tree I sawed that had very similar features on it . I will have the camera back here over the weekend and will shoot you a pic of the board , the pics above are from that tree .
  I had a hard time deciding where and how to cut this , as all the faces of the logs where apealing to the eye .

Marcel

Black_Bear

What is foxfire?

Inquiring minds want to know.

SwampDonkey

Black_Bear

Thank You Sponsors!