iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I think it's Total...

Started by mrcaptainbob, July 16, 2020, 01:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

I have great running Olympik 272i with a 32" bar. Well....it HAD a 32" bar. The end now has a curve in it just past the sprocket pack. I need a replacement but cannot find one.
Info is:
A80T  (is that for Total brand?)
SP31381 H5
I run Sthil skip on it and am very happy with it. I minor mishap two days ago claimed the blade. Where might I get a replacement? I believe it's a Total brand. I don't care the brand...that's just what was there.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mrcaptainbob

Thanks for the help, Jeff. I just now sent a request to chainsawr.

sawguy21

It should use an Oregon DO24 mount or equivalent, I have no idea if that is still available.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

If you didn't bend it like a horse shoe you can straighten it with a arbor press

mrcaptainbob

I was considering that, Al. It has a slight arc near the tip. If I could find a new sprocket tip and learn ho to rivet it correctly, I'd do that.
Sawguy. Thanks for the descriptor on the mounting end. D024. I did find one from Oregon, but has is called D025. Looks pretty similar, but the holes are round. These are a sort of square-ish look.
So...IF I can straighten this to a satisfied opinion (mine), is it possible to find a spr...Oh!
I just now found some info on the tip!
Homelite
A98503
3/8P
Does it 'have' to be a Homelite? Can another brand cross reference? Are they all similar?

Al_Smith

There is a zillion different sprocket tips .Unlike some I don't know bar codes or sprocket tips .I just go by what they look like The last I changed was a 32"  Mac mount that was .050 bar with a .404 tip ,west coaster .Changed to 3/8"..I think it was an old style Windsor ,three rivet .You can find them on flea bay .
Now if you change one be careful knocking the old rivets out because you can break the end of the bar out 

Ed

Total bars were Stens house brand, they were made by Tsumura. No idea who carries them. Stens is no longer in business.

Very good quality bars...

Ed

Spike60

Stens is definitely still in business Ed. You must be confusing Stens with Tilton Equipment. Tilton is no longer in business and it was them who originally brought in the Tsumura bars, and under several labels. The early ones were branded "Tilton Equipment". Then they created the "TotaL" brand selling lot's of aftermarket parts along with bars and chain, PPE and such. They also branded those bars Jonsered and sold them with the saws or seprately. Don't know if they ever branded them Olympyk or not.

But to the OP's question, there were a couple of different tips used on the total bars. Probably only the later one is still available, but any Tsumura dealer should have them.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Take the time to drill out the rivets rather than just trying to punch them out. I used to do it in the field when I was loggin' with a gen or 120V source(before rechargeable drills)......so it's not brain surgery.

Use a sharp center punch and then drill......

Kevin

sawguy21

IIRC D025 is a Stihl mount, I don't know if it is close enough to fit.

Spike60

Long bars for Olys and Jonnys aren't really being made anymore. The only 024 (10 mm slot) bar still listed by Oregon is 20" .058. The 9.5mm slot Homelite pattern 196 bars will work, but the longest one left is only 24" long. The Stihl mount bars have a 12mm slot and would be kind of a sloppy fit; plus you need to drill out the adjuster holes. Taking a die grinder to a Husky mount bar and opening up the slot from 8mm to 10mm also works.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

On that slot thing I've turned basically just thick washers as adapters to emulate the over sized bosses on Stihl mounts .Fact I have a 24" Stihl bar on a classic old red wood slayer of the PNW, Homelite 2100 A .114 cc 

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Spike60 on July 17, 2020, 11:38:10 AM
Long bars for Olys and Jonnys aren't really being made anymore. The only 024 (10 mm slot) bar still listed by Oregon is 20" .058. The 9.5mm slot Homelite pattern 196 bars will work, but the longest one left is only 24" long. The Stihl mount bars have a 12mm slot and would be kind of a sloppy fit; plus you need to drill out the adjuster holes. Taking a die grinder to a Husky mount bar and opening up the slot from 8mm to 10mm also works.
Back in the day a lot of Husky large mount bars by Oregon were sloppy enough to fit on the 10mm Jonsereds studs. I had at least a couple like that.

I found on the 80.... a 28", .058 bar running 404 skip-tooth square file chisel was max for that saw and with the same configuration, a 32" bar was max on a 90. I had a good friend find me a partial roll of .058 404 skip-tooth square file chisel chain before it all disappeared. 

If you have any large mount Husky bars long enough....try them, you might get lucky like I did.

Kevin

Ed

Spike, thanks for the clarification on who went out of business.

My Husky dealer always sold Total bars, now stocks Tsumura.

Ed

Michael

Mrcaptain can you post a picture of the mount. I have some bars that are of the older Homelite and Poulan and 32 inch. Maybe I can help. They are for sale of course.  Mike
If you need saws or parts I may be able to help.

mrcaptainbob

I will post a pic tomorrow eve of the bar end. With a tape measure alongside and some other dimensions. Thanks, Mike.

Bob.

mrcaptainbob

A neighbor has access to an arbor press and did a great job straightening it out. I think it will work. But I'd still like to replace the sprocket tip. The numbers on that are Homelite A98503  3/8 P. Is there a cross reference for other brands? How can I get one?

sawguy21

It was likely made by Oregon.

mrcaptainbob

Sorry about not getting a pic as promised, Micheal. FEL pump work took precedent today. Will do it tomorrow for sure.

mrcaptainbob

Michael

I have pictures on my desktop but can't seem to get them to post here. Send me an email for pictures mrupley@jps.net
If you need saws or parts I may be able to help.

Thank You Sponsors!