iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha catchn’?

Started by SawyerTed, April 16, 2022, 08:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Another is the "Freshwater Drum".  We call it a: Gasper Goo

Here they are considered a trash fish.  We slice the top of their heads open and get the rocks out. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

Freshwater Drum are called sheephead around here
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

SawyerTed

Freshwater drum were once common in the rivers of SW NC.  There's only one indigenous population left in the French Broad River IIRC.  The Wildlife Commission has a plan to restock several of those rivers.

The Dan River and Kerr Lake on the Virginia boarder has a population where some big ones are caught.  Those are non-native fish.  I'm not sure what that means - introduced or stocked.

The record here is 22 pounds.   
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

caveman

It was a long grind today to catch a mess of specks and a few bass.  The biggest speck was 2 lbs and the bass was a touch over 4 lbs.  The weather was perfect, and I really enjoyed spending time with one of my good friends.  We will enjoy some fish and grits either tonight or tomorrow. 

That's Interstate-4 and an Amazon warehouse in the background of the top picture (male speck).  Not too many years ago all of the land around this lake that was not swamp was citrus groves.
Caveman

SawyerTed

Glad you are getting some "speck therapy'.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

caveman

I went speck fishing with a friend and his son this afternoon after the rain stopped.  We caught a good mess but did not murdercate them.  We did catch a few mudfish and no bass while filling the livewell.

We ate some fried fish that we caught Tuesday tonight.  Bass are my favorite freshwater fish, but the specks we had tonight were about the best I've ever eaten.  I hope to be retired this time next year.  If so and my health holds, there will be some fish in trouble.  This is a lake that JMoore and I have fished since we were kids.  A huge development is going in on the south and west sides of this mostly secluded lake.   Things are changing here rapidly.  I don't know where all the folks are coming from, but they sure keep coming.
Caveman

SawyerTed

Spent some of the Forum downtime at Santee SC on Lake Marion.

These catfish are from Thursday.  The big guys didn't show themselves.  These are 8-22 pounds.

My cousin is holding the 22 pounder he caught.  I'm in the background in the other photo - on the boat.

doc henderson

That makes sense, Ted.  If you only caught the small fish, you should be in the background! :o ;D :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

caveman

JMoore painted a trailer we built for him and his family at my place this morning.  A couple of my other friends called and asked I wanted to go with them this afternoon to go try to catch a few fish.  John was invited but his honey do list was lengthy.

I met my neighbor at his place at noon.  We head the 10 miles or so to the boat ramp, which is 1/8 mile from the Detroit Tigers winter ballpark.  They were having a 1 o'clock game today so we spent quite a bit of time getting form his place to the ramp.  I think they were playing the Braves, which is always a big fan draw.

We started slow, catching an occasional shellcracker or bluegill out of the lilly pads.  We had crickets, jumpers (freshwater shrimp) and worms for bait.  We caught a few big (5 lbs or more) Tilapia, which we call Nile Perch and a bass or two.  Later, probably around 4 o'clock we started getting after some big bluegill and a few shellcrackers.  I did not take any pictures.  The fish are on ice and we'll clean them in the morning. 

The sky was blue, and the air was hot, close to 90 degrees.  I have a fresh red neck.  We had a lot of fun as we always do when we are fiddle fart fishing.  I used a bamboo pole I've had since the early 90's, which my friends ragged me a bit about, but it put a lot of fish in the boat today. 

Today was also the first time that I've ever fished out of a pontoon boat.  That thing was like fishing off of a mobile bridge or pier. One of my friends who was among us today guides bass trips at a local resort.  He usually fishes on his days off too.  On the corporate trips he guides that have more than two guests, he uses a pontoon boat.  He's been telling me for months how convenient they are to fish out of when he has several guests/clients.  I suggested that we strap a 10-12 step ladder on the deck and shoot Nile Perch with our bows from the top of the ladder.
Amended the post.  A picture before we cleaned them this morning.

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!