iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unusual cherry tree growth?

Started by captinjack, June 20, 2006, 08:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captinjack

I just observed these growths on one of my cherry trees.  What are they and what must I do if anything?

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

captinjack

Thanks for your prompt response.  Now I have something to investigate further.  This is not a big problem as I only have a few of these trees and they have never done well so the loss is not bad.

Phorester

With only a few trees, if practical, prune out the parts of the branches with the knots and burn or bury them at least a foot deep.  Should slow down the spread of this common black cherry disease.

bberry

Cap,
Blacknot is a common problem with cherry, plums and perhaps other stone fruit. You should try to cut the infected parts at least 6 inches back since the good looking wood (limb) can also be infected. A spray program with a fungicide will slow it down. I just cut more than 20 limbs off my Stanley and Green Gage plums that were infected. Burning them is good. Local Ag officials should know what fungicide is best. Be careful with it. Several sprays per year may be needed.
Bberry

Tony_T

Sulfur spray works on black knot and it's a relatively mild (to humans) fungicide , I think copper sulfate will also work.  I've used both on my plum trees.

Thank You Sponsors!