iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vacutherm iDry input

Started by schwanee, August 04, 2018, 07:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

I would also agree with jfric.  Brian at Vacutherm is the technical point man and has helped me when Ive had questions. If he's not available when I call, he gets back to me very quickly with a return call.  
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Stephen1

I like to post questions here when I have lots of time for the answers. It helps others on the forum and keeps the forum alive.
I have had no customer service problems dealing with Jim or the staff at IDRY . They respond to all my questions. 
The other sponsors on here have great customer service also, I call when I have concerns that need an answer to sooner than later. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Just Right

Glenn I may do what you did with the crushed concrete.  Definately less money.  But my question if bout how Thick would concrete need to be.  And what are you and anyone else with the water hook up, and the water exhausted?  How much water comes out and could you just run it on top of the ground?  Thanks.  Have enjoyed the updates from everybody and am starting my shed/building to put this puppy in.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Glenn1

The crushed concrete was 6" thick but compaction was a very important step. We used a 3 ton double roller to go back and forth. Then we added four 6 x6 for the kiln legs to rest on. This made it easier to shim the kiln.  Our barn is raised above the surrounding ground so we have the the pipe going thru the wall and running out towards our creek.  

When the wood is green, there is quite a bit of water running out of the kiln.  
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

woodworker9

I, too, am watching this thread with great interest, as I'm giving serious consideration to buying one of these kilns.  I understand that any pressing questions can be answered with phone calls, but I use this forum as a means for learning from other peoples questions, as well, and not just mine.  I think it would be very beneficial if someone from Idry would monitor this thread and give the necessary answers.  There are great questions that are being asked, as well as important details included from the growing number of you that have already made your purchase.  Typically, I'm the type that doesn't spend my money until my research is complete, and I've learned most of what I need to in order to make an informed decision.  

I will continue to read this thread with the hope that participation in this discussion grows.  It's a very perfect way to get a lot of questions and answers compiled in one tidy place.  Not ever having owned a kiln, I don't even think of half of the questions that have already been asked here.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Just Right

Glenn,  I am pretty much flat around here so I don't want a mud hole so I will probably do a redneck septic system since it is just "gray" water.  I thank you for your input.  From what I am seeing what you and Busy are doing,  seems to me (other than oak) that in order to dry different species,  it is important to have the moisture content of each similar when putting them in.  Have you noticed better service of drying if you keep the charge all the same species?  Thanks

Glenn1

As long as the moisture content are similar, there is no problem in mixing species.  If you mix moisture content, the worse case scenario is that you will need to remove the dry wood and leave the others in the kiln to continue to dry.

schwanee

Has anyone with this kiln set up the water supply with a tank and pump? I'll be setting mine up in an area where I may not have a water supply and am working on options. The kiln only requires 0.75 GPM to cool off the vac pump.

Would love to hear if any of you guys have any good ideas!

Crusarius

I would think setting up a cooling loop with a radiator and fan just like in a vehicle would work perfect.

Just Right

Thank you Glenn.  Got about a month ish left on getting mine and I am getting excited about it.   

A loop and radiator system sounds like a good idea.  Especially if water supply is limited.  My rough math is about 200 gallons a day that would be operating that vacuum pump.  Then about 5 to 10 gallons of water a day coming from the charge of lumber.  My question would be is the water coming from the wood clean enough not to contaminate your water supply,  and start leaving deposits of stuff internally in the kiln?

Stephen1

I understand that vacuum pump will run about 20-30 mins initially, so less that 30 gallons of water. I'm not sure how much more it runs to maintain the vacuum. It drops it vacuum once a day to allow waste water to drain.
I would think the waste water will be caustic of some sort. Every one talks about the inside of klns need to be indestructable from the acid wate moisture from the wood.
I am about 3 weeks out for my kiln. I am waiting on the CSA stcker, which will allow my electrician to hook it up. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

briankingsbury

Quote from: Just Right on February 17, 2019, 12:56:17 PM
Thank you Glenn.  Got about a month ish left on getting mine and I am getting excited about it.  

A loop and radiator system sounds like a good idea.  Especially if water supply is limited.  My rough math is about 200 gallons a day that would be operating that vacuum pump.  Then about 5 to 10 gallons of water a day coming from the charge of lumber.  My question would be is the water coming from the wood clean enough not to contaminate your water supply,  and start leaving deposits of stuff internally in the kiln?
We have estimated the pump to run around 2-3 hours each day so 200 gallons would be a good safe number and your 5-10 gallons of wood water is also a good estimation. Some steam that did not condense in the kiln would run through the pump but we don't have a good number on that yet. If anyone else has some thoughts let us know. 

old3dogg

The water removed from wood is very acidic. Very low pH. It would be corrosive to any metal.

jfric

I don't think my kiln is using anywhere near 200 gallons a day. I don't think it's even running 60 gallons a day. 
I have been trying to use the amount of wood water coming out of the drain as a way if understand how the drying is progressing. I don't have the time to monitor it everyday but I try to check it once or twice a week. I started a new load on Monday and on Wednesday it realease about 18 gallons of wood water (didn't have time to check the release for Tuesday). On the previous load, on the second to the last day only about a gallon came out. 
iDRY vacuum kiln, Nyle L200m kiln, Woodmizer LT15-Wide, Bobcat S300, Stihl MS880, 36" and 60" Granberg Alaskan Mills, Ford F550 flatbed.

nativewolf

So how are all you guys doing?
Liking Walnut

Stephen1

I am hoping to pick my unit up early next week. I have the electrical installed, the plumbing is ready, the 1st 2 loads of wood have been brought in from the snow and ice to thaw. 

tule peak timber

Will Jim have a display at AWFS in Las Vegas this summer ?
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

tule peak timber

Are there any comments from folks that did buy  this kiln? I would love to hear more about this kiln. I talked to Jim today,,,, knowledgeable  person. Rob

Stephen1

I have been looking all over trying to hear more.
Most of what I hear is it is not as fast as 1" in 1 week, maybe 8-9 days.
Like everything patience. The wood is coming out looking good. 
One gentleman described the process as a speeded up air drying process.

tule peak timber

Thanks. If I hear more on someones experience I will post it.

Busysawyer

I haven't dried a whole lot of green material yet. What I've found so far. 4/4, 5/4 and 6/6 walnut right of the mill is pretty close to the week per inch. It took 13 days for me to go right off the mill with 1 5/8 thick walnut down to 6-7%. . Here is my findings for thicker material. Mixed load of 2in, 2 3/8 and 3 1/2 thick walnut green. I left the 2 and 2 3/8 in for 24 days. The 3 1/2 is still in. I think the extra moisture coming from the thicker material slowed down the process for the thinner material.  
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

tule peak timber

Busy, Amount of checking/ degrade overall? Thanks for the feedback.  Rob

Just Right

Got an email saying my kiln will be ready in about a week.  Making plans of a road trip to go get it.  Can't wait to get my hands on it and get that thing online!!

Stephen1

I made it to Barre VT 
I will be over to IDRY to pick up my kiln in the morning. 
If all goes well I will be home Tuesday evening and setting the kiln in place of Wed morning. 
Pictures to follow. 

Thank You Sponsors!