iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help deciding to buy a used Farmi Winch?

Started by Piston, August 25, 2010, 11:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

I went to look a an old Farmi winch.  It was bought by the original owner back in 1980 from what he says and he bought it new.  He used it for a few seasons just skidding firewood logs with his old MF tractor.  He said the tractor was about 40hp if that matters.  I don't know the model number but it is somewhere between the 351 and 501. 

It has been sitting for about 15-20 years and hasn't been used since.  It's sitting behind a barn now which is where he took it off way back when, it has a lot of surface rust obviously but actually seems pretty solid.  I assume every moving part in it would need replacing since it's been sitting so long. 

My question is do you think it would be worth buying and having someone rebuild it with new parts?  How complicated are these winches?  Are there tons of moving parts?  I've never used one but I see them go for at least a couple thousand dollars in good shape. 
I can buy this one for 800, does anyone know if it is worth it or not?  Thanks for any help.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

adirondack harvester

jimparamedic

treefarmer87

my dentist i go to in charlottesville has a farmi he says it is very good!
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

g_man

I have a small JL 290 Farmi winch. I think they all have a similar design. There are actually very few moving parts. PTO turns a small gear. Chain drive to a big gear on the
drum. With a dry friction clutch. They are simple to take apart and work on. I bet you can clean it up your self. They are built to last and be out doors. I would go for it.

Don K

At that price it would already be on the trailer.  :o :o ;) ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

John Mc

Make sure you can still get parts for it. I was looking at a used Farmi a few years ago. It was an older model. Fortunately, I checked with a friend at the local dealer... I was told parts were not available, so I walked away. (Now maybe this guy just wanted to sell me a new one, but he's always been a straight shooter in the past).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Piston

I emailed a distributor to see if I can still get parts for it.  Thats good to know they aren't too complicated. 
I'll try to see if I can turn the shaft on it a little and take a look at it again.  That would be nice if I could just clean it up real good, throw a new cable on it, and grease it up really well and have it work.  It sure would come in handy to skid the firewood logs up the hill that is a little 'iffy' on the tractor  :D

I found online that a new cable for it would be about $270.  I'm sure it needs one of these because I wouldn't want to trust and old rusty cable.  So at the minimum I figure I would have about 1100-1200 into it.  I'll see what the distributor says about the parts availability.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Cedarman

Do not let oil get on the clutch.  Chain might need replaced if rusted.  I bid $900 sight unseen.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

thecfarm

Seems like $270 is kinda high for cable.But it may have a special end that goes into the winch.I just bought 165 feet of 3/8 for my Norse winch for what seems like $120 at Labonville.This was one with no special end for the winch but had a hook on the other end.Any chains come with it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fireman05

I have a farmi JL351P and have used it for 5 years with no problems.  Few moving parts and am just now needing to replace the winch cable and found a new one through Valby Sales for just under $200.  I have shortened the cable a few times due to damage to the working end of the cable.

I wouldn't pass up that deal if it were me.  I have skidded 500 or more cord of cedar and hardwood since owning it.

Good luck!
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

ahlkey

I also have the 351P Farmi Winch that I use on my 45HP tractor.  I have added a Amsteel extension to reach close to 230 ft at times but the longer you are out the more chances of getting hung up. Keep in mind when winching uphill you will need a large snatchblock tree anchor to another tree and while it can be slow going by yourself it gets the job done. If solid and still working not a bad deal at $800

Piston

I heard back from the dealer and he seems to think it is probably a model 456 which I can't find much info on but he says all the parts are still readily available.  So I'm gonna take a chance and buy the winch and hope that with a little tender love and care and a few new parts I will have a good dependable winch.  He said the 456 is a 10,000lb winch!  I didn't realize how strong these things were.
Any quick tips or tricks to using one?  both safety related and operationaly speaking? I don't want to take an arm off or something the first time I use the winch.
-Matt

4genlgr

how big a tractor are you using?? that size farmi you would want a 60 horse or better with a good lift capacity on the rock arms

i have a 351 on a 990 jd. the rock arms are rated for 1500 pounds the winch weights 500 which leaves a 1000lb payload

using a farmi is pretty basic. i hardly ever speed up the tractor to get the line to wind in faster  at idle mine pulls just fine and things still will happen faster than expected.    DON'T stand where the rear wheel of the tractor can roll up on you. it is awfully tempting to lean on the tire during a long pull DON'T (do i hear the voice of experience talking ::)) when i replaced the control lines on mine i made them short enough not to get tangled in the works but long enough to hang off  the roll bar with a bungee cord that let me stay out of the danger zone when pulling in.
make sure the backlash brake is set right, rats nests are no fun. bigger trees will need to be processed in the woods. if skidding something out feels uncomfortable make it shorter and come back, i think fuel is still cheaper than broken things.  i skid alot from the top pulley, big stuff from the snatch pulley both winching and skidding and sometimes skidding from the drop slots. my tractor is low and the wheels are set as wide as possible, a bigger tractor puts the winch higher and a high center of gravity is not good.
The dealer should be able to get you a manual for the winch if he sells farmi's
the thing to remember most is thata a tractor is NOT a skidder. a tractor will pull wood and do a decent job in the right conditions  good luck stay safe

John Mc

The Farmi 501 is rated at 11,000 pounds pull, and recommended for a 40-60 HP tractor. The 351 is rated at 7700# pull and recommended for 17 HP to 40 HP max. If the one Piston is looking at is rated for 10,000 pounds, 60 horse or better may be overkill. I'd agree a bigger, heavier tractor may make things easier, but wouldn't think he needs to run out and upgrade if he has a 40 or 50 HP tractor. There are a lot of tractors in the 50 HP range that may suit this winch pretty well.

Piston, what tractor are you using this with, and how much does it weigh?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dave Shepard

I have an older Farmi that sat on it's back in the woods for about 15 years before we got it. I had some trouble with it in the beginning, until I realized the chain had a frozen link in it. I put a new chain on, adjusted it, and it's been fine ever since. My biggest concern would be that the friction might be rusted to the "flywheel". They are pretty simple machines, and I think a full disassembly and cleaning/ re-greasing would be in order. Make sure you have a long rope, and use it. The Farmi winches have a high enough line speed that if the log catches on something, it can pull a smaller tractor over before you have time to let go of the rope.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Piston

Actually I'm hoping that by the time I actually pick up the winch and get it rebuilt I'll have a new tractor.  Currently I have a Case 275 which is a smaller tractor with turf tires and isn't too good in the woods (30hp) as well as an old Case 385, not sure the HP but around 40ish I would say.  Trying to sell these 2.
I'm looking for a decent deal on a newer used JD 4520 or 4720 or a Kubota 5240 or 5740 cab.  So if I do end up getting one of those soon then it will be right around 50-55ish hp depending on the model (slightly less at the PTO).  All of those tractors I'm looking at are around 4500 lbs without the FEL, which I'll be getting.
-Matt

Dave Shepard

I'm not up to date on the Kubota models. Are either of those hydrostatic? I wouldn't be without hydro, and I use mine for some heavy work.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

John Mc

Quote from: Piston on August 28, 2010, 02:52:52 PM
I'm looking for a decent deal on a newer used JD 4520 or 4720 or a Kubota 5240 or 5740 cab.  So if I do end up getting one of those soon then it will be right around 50-55ish hp depending on the model (slightly less at the PTO).  All of those tractors I'm looking at are around 4500 lbs without the FEL, which I'll be getting.

Plenty of HP... it's not the HP that's the limiting factor on winch usage anyway, it's the weight and how "beefy" the frame and 3 point hitch are. You should be in good shape with any of these. Are you going to load the tires?

Dave Shepard

I think loaded tires if very important on a small tractor with a loader. My Kubota L-48 was good with the backhoe(2,000 lbs) on, but tippy without. With loaded tires, 1,200 pounds, it is now safe to operate without the hoe on, and really stable with the hoe on. ;) I can get away without tire chains for most winching work in the summer, when it's dry. In snow, ice, or even frozen ground, you will probably want chains at least on the rear.

redneck

we have had our farmi winch for 26 years.  It was purchased by my grandfather in 84.  Maybe the same model your looking at?  It has been outside its entire life, and we have never had any issues with it except for the locking device for the main line.  I could have fixed myself but was able to order the part through our massey dealer.  I even have the original owners manual for it with a parts list.   Easily worth the 800, and would probably work right away with some fluid film sprayed on the chain.
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

thecfarm

Never winch in at a shape angle.Try to winch in as straight as you can.The log can catch up on something and tip the tractor over side ways.Watch out for anything that will winch in before the log is close to the winch.I've had dead trees laying on the ground try to hit me well before the log was close to the winch.Stand away from the tractor while winching in.Some older Farmi winches only had 2 legs instead of a blade on the bottom. These work good,but sometimes only one leg will dig in and the tractor will try to come around side ways if the log catches up on something. Just have to reset the tractor and start over.I have 5 chokers on my winch.I have 5-8 foot chains and 5-3½ foot chains.Sometimes I twitch out 2 trees with one 8 foot chain.I like the smaller chains when I am cutting small wood.This way I don't have to run 6 feet of chain through a choker. There is a way to rotate the tree to get the limbs on the bottom up in the air or to rotate a crooked tree so it won't dig into the ground.Hard to explain,but it's real simple to do. Put the hook as low to the ground as you can so the tree will twist as you winch in.The hook will be on the top now when you are done.Play around with what side of the log you put the hook on.This is a nice trick to learn.You make have to hook on to another tree to pull the log away from something.I don't try to run out 100 feet of cable to get a log.I have a hard time walking in a straight line.But then I don't feel I have to get right up to a tree either.I do use the alot of cable in a hard spot.I have no idea the lay of your land.Be careful going up hills with a good load on.The front can get real light. Step on the clutch and everything will stop for you.Of course you know turn off the PTO before making any adjustments on the winch.If you have trouble pulling the cable out by hand try hooking on to a tree or good sized log and pull all the cable out,than keep the cable tight,winch the cable back in.I myself don't run all the cable the manufacturer says I can.Seems like at times the cable will get caught up in the chain on my model,100 feet is all I need most of the time.I do have 2 extensions I can use if needed.I suppose you know to keep a couple wraps on the spool to prevent pulling the cable out of the spool.I've had my winch for almost 20 years and have used it ALOT and one of the few things that I have owned that I have not broken it or needed any repairs on it.You will really enjoy your winch.I've talked one guy into buying one and he is some glad he has it now.Have fun with it.It will make things so much easier.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

Id go for it too at that price as there aint much to go wrong with them Mate Ive had one since i was 17yo  im not sure which mod but it will pull about 4 ton easy when its on the chamberlain which is 80hp when we picked it up it had been laying in the grass on a pallet for years in a paddock and got it for $600 back then dad n i just pulled it apart cleaned up and re greased all the moving parts and put it back together its worked well whenever we have needed it over the last 12 years its done about 1000 ton of  pine and hardwood for us  Mate

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Piston

Thanks for the advice guys. 

As for the tractors I'm looking at, yes they are all hydro, I've never had a hydro and am really looking forward to it for loader work which seems never ending around here  :D

I'm not sure if I'm gonna get the tires loaded or not?  I was gonna see how it worked with a heavy box blade on the back for FEL work but of course when using the winch that's all that would be on there, which is only about 500lbs I believe, so maybe I will need to load them.  The only reason I would rather not is for towing the tractor between here and NH which I will do often.  I figure by the time I have the weight of the tractor and implements I'll be getting close to my limits, but of course we'll see when the time comes.
-Matt

Jasperfield

I still have for sale, a BRAND NEW, un-used, Farmi JL501 winch for sale w/cable, sliders, pulley, snatchblock, and manual (AND, with new PTO shaft and all new appurtenances) for $4,072. That's a 15% discount, and with no tax!

828-206-4904

...but it's not used.

Thank You Sponsors!