iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodpecker Slab Flattening Mill Cradle Bracket Redesign

Started by CEaston, May 12, 2020, 10:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CEaston

I have a Woodpecker slab flattening mill and it would work great for slabs that were thick enough that my flattening bit could reach. I did start to run into issues when I had thinner slabs that were not able to reach. I tried a bit extender, that did not end up well.

I know what you are thinking, "Why not just shim the slab up?". Well I did and apparently I was not very good at it because I never seemed to get consistent results. I had searched the web for someone who may have had the same issue as myself and may have already had a new cradle bracket design but struck out. So I decided to design a new "L" bracket for the cradle to allow me to drop it into the slides. This does limit the working area because the now lower cradle will run into the supports of the cross members but I have been able to work around that so far.

Anyways I figured I would share just in case anyone was running into the same issue as me and wanted a different alternative to shimming the slabs. Pictures is Gen 1 and allows for 1" increments to drop the cradle down, it also has an "ouch" point at the top of the brackets. Gen 2 which is in the PDF drawing allows for .5" increments and puts a .5" filet on the "ouch" point. I also increased the bottom bolts size that screws into the cradle to 1/4"-20. Gen 2 also increase the gauge of the steel from Gen 1. There was a little to much flex in Gen 1 and I opted to go for a thicker gauge on Gen 2.

boonesyard

I have the same mill. We have been able to shim our slabs and we also have a bit extender that has worked very well. What you have going here looks like it should work just fine.

This slab flattener works very well, but we're doing so many that I'm currently looking at something more automated to speed things up. Not sure yet if we'll go with a WM Slabmizer or CNC. 

Good Luck
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

CEaston

@boonesyard That Slabmizer does look pretty awesome. I haven't dug to far into it, is it just for flattening or will it take G-Code like a CNC? 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: CEaston on May 12, 2020, 06:40:22 PM
@boonesyard That Slabmizer does look pretty awesome. I haven't dug to far into it, is it just for flattening or will it take G-Code like a CNC?
It should it's 😂😂. It's thousands more than the Woodpecker jig

boonesyard

I wish it would, but it does not. It's run with a joy stick, variable speed control,  and a manual crank for the z axis.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Walnut Beast

Quote from: boonesyard on May 12, 2020, 12:35:35 PM
I have the same mill. We have been able to shim our slabs and we also have a bit extender that has worked very well. What you have going here looks like it should work just fine.

This slab flattener works very well, but we're doing so many that I'm currently looking at something more automated to speed things up. Not sure yet if we'll go with a WM Slabmizer or CNC.

Good Luck
Have you looked at the WoodWizz. What CNC are you looking at

boonesyard

I have looked at the Woodwiz, they are both quality machines. Their base models are close to the same price, the max width is identical but the edge goes to the Slabmizer due to it's 13' length capacity vs 11'6" on the Woodwiz (these specs are for the base models only, they both have larger options). They both appear to have simple and robust controls, but I think I would choose the corded remote capability of the Slabmizer over the controls permanently mounted on the Woodwiz. I have not run either machine, so this is purely research based.

A have not identified a particular CNC machine, although I have been looking at used machines for some time. The 5'x10' models would be as small as I would go, and it looks like you can get in to a decent used machine for about the same money (15-16Kish) as the Woodwiz or Slabmizer. There are a number of benefits over the CNC format in that you set it, and walk away. Also, they have the ability to cut out pieces, and do 2d and 3d modeling.

I'm not afraid of technology, but I sure like the idea of keeping it simple. A CNC machine would definitely have it's benefits, but the added size capacity and simple operation and upkeep of the other two options are very attractive.   
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

WIwoodworker

CEaston... Woodpecker redesigned their unit almost exactly the way you did it. They also upgraded the dust collection ability.

When I first used the flattening mill I ran into the same problem with thinner slabs. I added a sheet or two of plywood under the slab between the rails which effectively raised the bed height eliminating the need for a bit extender.
Peterson 9" WPF

Walnut Beast

Quote from: boonesyard on May 13, 2020, 09:45:05 AM
I have looked at the Woodwiz, they are both quality machines. Their base models are close to the same price, the max width is identical but the edge goes to the Slabmizer due to it's 13' length capacity vs 11'6" on the Woodwiz (these specs are for the base models only, they both have larger options). They both appear to have simple and robust controls, but I think I would choose the corded remote capability of the Slabmizer over the controls permanently mounted on the Woodwiz. I have not run either machine, so this is purely research based.

A have not identified a particular CNC machine, although I have been looking at used machines for some time. The 5'x10' models would be as small as I would go, and it looks like you can get in to a decent used machine for about the same money (15-16Kish) as the Woodwiz or Slabmizer. There are a number of benefits over the CNC format in that you set it, and walk away. Also, they have the ability to cut out pieces, and do 2d and 3d modeling.

I'm not afraid of technology, but I sure like the idea of keeping it simple. A CNC machine would definitely have it's benefits, but the added size capacity and simple operation and upkeep of the other two options are very attractive.  
Very nice insight. I haven't been around either machine. One guy I talked to had a Slabmizer and really liked it. And another guy I talked to has a WoodWizz and really likes it but wished he would have gotten the longer model. The remote would be nice on the Slabmizer  . I did talk to Josh at Baker on the Wood Wizz and he said you could get the 5.5 hp in 220 on it. He also said the dust extraction is pretty good on it. But like you said no corded remote. Maybe they will make changes in the near future. And the Slabmizer may offer some more features or options. 

CEaston

Quote from: WIwoodworker on May 13, 2020, 11:46:45 PM
CEaston... Woodpecker redesigned their unit almost exactly the way you did it. They also upgraded the dust collection ability.

When I first used the flattening mill I ran into the same problem with thinner slabs. I added a sheet or two of plywood under the slab between the rails which effectively raised the bed height eliminating the need for a bit extender.
So I was a little too early on the design then, at the very least I guess I probably saved $ on designing them myself rather than eventually buying from Woodpecker.

Thank You Sponsors!