iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air drying some walnut slabs

Started by busenitzcww, June 03, 2019, 10:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busenitzcww

Nothing like that feeling of getting your wood stacked and under a roof.
Do you guys spray walnut with bora care? I've got a bunch of ash coming up that I want to treat but wondering if I should have done my walnut too? Other species? I have some bur oak, locust, coffee bean, mulberry,and hedge. Can you spray it good enough after it's stickered if you see bug action? Should have thought this out before I moved all these 3' x10' slabs  :)

doc henderson

very nice.  dark, but very nice!!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

I don't spray my walnut, bug don't seem to like it much.  I once had termites build a mud tunnel over some walnut to get to some oak.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

I don't spray walnut either.  PPB's will get in walnut sapwood though.  I have had that happen more than once. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Ditto Danny and Robert's advice.  If you spray it, don't use Bora-care on green lumber.  Use Timber instead (cheaper).  Bora-care is best for dry lumber.

If you do spray it, typically you only need to spray the bark and sapwood.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

firefighter ontheside

Interesting info here.  I've been spraying everything , but maybe I will not spray walnut, at least not the heartwood.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

just picked up 1.5 pounds of tim bor today from the pest guys.  plan to make a gallon in a sprayer.  any other tips.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Use hot water to help it dissolve.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It will be important to cut and then fit together almost right away, as it is not uncommon to have the logs warp and twist as they dry and then the t&g will not align.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Marshall7199

Good looking slabs. not to be too nosey but what is the white material under the concrete blocks?
Rookie learning from the masters.

DWyatt

Looks like limestone screenings/sand to me.

K-Guy

@Marshall7199 

It is that beautiful Kansas oceanfront beach sand. :D ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

Looks like a spilled bag of grits.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

busenitzcww

Quote from: Marshall7199 on July 22, 2019, 10:24:38 PM
Good looking slabs. not to be too nosey but what is the white material under the concrete blocks?
Thanks! It's just limestone screenings from the local quarry. I'm kinda wishing I'd had just poured concrete and then I wouldn't of had to level all by bases, or at least been really close. I started putting cinder blocks down and then shimming a 2x6 on top of that for my pallets.

Thank You Sponsors!