iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Pictures

Started by sawinmontana, April 30, 2003, 12:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawinmontana

Laying our sills on the 12'x16' garden tool shed from Sobons book. My brother Greg, sister-in-law Rebecca, brother Russ, nephew Frank(on the dirt pile), my mom Ann, and my Dad Duke.

My brother Russ using a persuader we made to take a bent apart after it was test fitted.

Standing up the secound bent.

My brother Russ and his wife Rebecca, the owners of the building, putting up the rafters.

More rafters.

This is me decking the roof.

hydeoutman

Nice job ;)......keep the photo's coming

sawinmontana

Before my sister-in-law sees this I better make clear something.! I keep saying my brother and I built this shed when it was actually all three of us. She cut as much of the joinery as we did. I just wanted to make sure she gets her due credit. Sorry Rebecca!! ;D

Scott

Kevin

Mark M

Wow! - this looks really good Scott, have you built a timber frame before? You mentioned a book, please tell me about it.

Mark

sawinmontana

Mark
This was the first one we ever built. I had read alittle about timberframing and saw pictures of them in some of the glossy magazines. I just fell in love with how they look and wanted to try building one. I also liked the thought of building "the old way". Somehow we ended up with a book called "Timber Frame Construction, All About Post and Beam Building" by Jack Sobon and Roger Schroeder. Its published by Storey Books in Pownal, Vermont www.storey.com
In this book there is pretty detailed plans to build this little garded tool shed. We followed the plans exactly because we had never built one before. Also our mill limited us on length. You could make it as long as you can saw a timber just by adding more bents. I think you can make it alittle wider and still use the plans in the book. If we could do it anybody can!!

ohsoloco

That's a great book that Scott mentioned.  Seems like every time I read through it again I learn something new  :P

IndyIan

Nice frame Scott!
This is a bit of a strange question but how well do you think the building would stand up to being moved?

For various reasons I'm going to build our shed at the north end of our property this summer but in a couple years we will be building our house at the south end of our property and will want the shed there.  The plan to move it is, pull it in the snow on runners behind one of my neighbours big farm tractors down the road to the south end.  I imagine the shed is very resistant to twisting and would only be loosened up slightly if at all..  
I'm not exactly sure how I'd get a foundation under the shed in its final position but I guess I could jack it up and put concrete blocks under it at the very least.

Am I crazy? :o  DonT be afraid to tell me! ;D

sawinmontana

I think it would do fine moving as long as it was braced to prevent racking. I think frames are braced for side to side and end to end movement but not on the diagonal. So as long as your runners are tied together it would do fine. Also on our shed we laid the 2x6 and 2x8 floor decking down and didn't nail it, that way if it shrinks we can tighten it up and then add more boards. We could take the deck boards out and then spike a bit x across the sills to brace it. Now that I think about it if the deck boards were nailed down then that would be braced. I've thought about moving it. I worry about the corners on the sills. there is just one peg and 2 inches or so of relish. a person might want to brace those connections some way. maybe a tempory brace spiked to the sills at all four corners. You really have me thinking about this now!!

Scott

Bro. Noble

Scott,

You never answered the other part of his question------Do you think he's crazy :D :D :D

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

We already know that answer, but it don't have nuthin to do with movin' a shed. ;D

over
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

IndyIan

hmmm...  Guess I left myself open to that... :D  
Note to self, always post AFTER the morning coffee ::) :)

To avoid ripping off the 'front' sill I was thinking I'd put a beam across the front attached to the runners(runners would be attached under the side sills) and pull from the beam.
I guess it would be a good idea to put a diagonal brace to hold the sills square.  Or build knee braces into the sills...
hmmm...  Probably couldn't knock the shed over with a bulldozer then! 8)
I do think a diagonal brace would be critical to hold the sills square and if the sills stay square the rest of the shed has to as well.  Nailing the floor boards down would help but a real brace would be best.  Imagine if you caught the front corner on something... :'(

Ian

hydeoutman

Indylan,
I don't know to much about moving a shed but I would think if you put the floor boards down on a diagonal that would help with the twisting.

dail_h

It'l move just fine.Jack it up,put 2 long beams under it with a cross beam to pull by,and a tail beam to hold the rearend of the beams straight and go,or put it on a trailer.When you get where you'r going jack it up build the foundation, and let it down on it .
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

JimMartin9999

Build the new  foundation before you do your move.  This is standard procedure.  My neighbor moved a large house this way, about a mile.  
Jim

UNCLEBUCK

sawinmontana that is beautiful workmanship ! awesome ! i went to school for log home building 20 years ago doing the scandinavian scribe methods and built 2 log homes and i think this structure you have is the prettiest ever,without a doubt !  i am reading that book and learning about it all, i assume that your roof decking boards are dried good , reason i am asking is i have alot of green white oak lumber and posts and beams and i just have to read more because i am afraid to start my project , i just got engaged for the first time over easter of this year and the little soon to be mrs. wants a log cabin and i am sick of the scandinavian way, anyway its just beautiful, congratulations to all ! :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!