iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guide Pins

Started by Jeff, November 04, 2001, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

In another thread we were talking about remotely adjustable guide pins for circular sawmills. Here is a technical drawing of what we use.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

Nice drawing. Since I'm klewless, could you do another post explaining what the numbered parts are? I'm thinking I've figured out which end goes against the wood, but I could have it right backwards..  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Don P

I was also wondering what is advancing through the outboard arm? Is this a stock part or something you guys fabricated?

Jeff

1. Simply the cover to keep saw dust out of screw shafts
2. are the actual guide pins. Wooden sleeved in brass. The saw rim runs between these two pins just clearing the tooth holders or "shanks".
3. Threaded screw assembly that moves the inner guide pin in and out.

4. same as 3 only for the outer guide pin.

5.Threaded screw assembly moves both guide pins together

6 extension handle

Don I am not sure what part you mean.  This whole assembly is an off the shelf item from our sawmill manufacture out in New Hampshire.

L. Wakefield

OK, I see it- on my bandsaw on the porch there are 2 little  metal rollers that serve the same purpose.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Don P

After reading my post, it even confused me and I wrote it! :D

What I was asking is what connects part #4 to the outside pin #2 through the arm? It must be something flexible yet precise in length.

LW, you got roller guides? Thats a nice saw, I just have cool blocks and dream of the $150 upgrade to the Carter guides. Don't really use the saw enough to justify the cost though.

I've knocked the guides off my mill twice and at $200 it kinda ruins the day.

Jeff

Don the whole arm moves in and out. It is built fairly heavy because of the wear and tear it receives.

Ron Wenrich

Don

On most saw guides like that shown, there is a threaded rod connecting #4 to #2.  That moves #2 to the left or right.

My outside saw guide isn't as heavy as that one.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!