iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna chainsaw advice

Started by mjeselskis, February 20, 2012, 01:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

I know, asking for advice may start a feud, but I could use some help.

I'm looking for a new saw, something in the 60-70cc range. I like the looks of the new 562xp but the new 'Autotune' has me worried. I'm afraid of the new technology until it's out for a few years. I'm either going with Jonsered or Husky, doesn't matter which, both are good dealers.

I was at the Jonsered dealer today and he happened to have a new Husky 365 on the shelf. After I told him what I was looking for, he suggested that it might be just what I need. First thing, does the XP line have any advantages over this saw? The saw gets good reviews, but I'd never seen many 365's in action, mostly 357xp and 372xp.

So now I'm weighing my options, 562xp, 365, 357xp, 372xp, or the jonsered equivalents. My father has a couple year old 2171 and I like the power, but i'm not sure I need to go that big.

I cut about 20 cords of firewood a year and enough saw logs to feed my woodmizer.

Suggestions, if you dare?
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

mad murdock

I haven't used any of the newer XP saws.  I have a 372 XPW, and i really like it.  I think it is great for the size/weight.  I would not hesitate to buy another one.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mjeselskis

I'm leaning toward a 372xp or the 357xp due to the long history of reliabilty and performance.

I am curious though, does anyone have a 365?

nmurph

The old 365/372's were the same saw chassis with a different piston/cylinder. The new 365/372's designated XP X-Torq (it's getting hard to find the OE's still in dealer stock) are exactly the same saw, notwithstanding the restrictor plate in the transfers of the 365 that is not found in the 372. The piston/cylinder are exactly the same. You can remove the transfer cover and grind the restrictor out and viola', you have a 372. Either version and displacement is a fine saw. If it were my money, and I was in the market for this size saw, I would get the 365 and get to grinding.

mjeselskis

Quote from: nmurph on February 20, 2012, 05:53:45 PM
The old 365/372's were the same saw chassis with a different piston/cylinder. The new 365/372's designated XP X-Torq (it's getting hard to find the OE's still in dealer stock) are exactly the same saw, notwithstanding the restrictor plate in the transfers of the 365 that is not found in the 372. The piston/cylinder are exactly the same. You can remove the transfer cover and grind the restrictor out and viola', you have a 372. Either version and displacement is a fine saw. If it were my money, and I was in the market for this size saw, I would get the 365 and get to grinding.

Thanks nmurph. The dealer mentioned the 365 was underrated at 65cc, i guess that's what he meant. Is there a reason the 365 isnt labeled as an XP saw, besides marketing?

Cut4fun

The new strato X-torq 365 71cc

The older 65cc ones came in open and closed port. I had several of the 65cc ones in closed port and the were great runners.  Mine showed 365 special on decals.

nmurph

Quote from: Cut4fun on February 20, 2012, 07:27:21 PM
The new strato X-torq 365 71cc

The older 65cc ones came in open and closed port. I had several of the 65cc ones in closed port and the were great runners.  Mine showed 365 special on decals.

Yep, I've had a couple of Specials and they were pretty close to the 372's.

nmurph

Quote from: mjeselskis on February 20, 2012, 06:40:10 PM

Thanks nmurph. The dealer mentioned the 365 was underrated at 65cc, i guess that's what he meant. Is there a reason the 365 isnt labeled as an XP saw, besides marketing?

No reason... the saws are exactly the same except as noted.

thecfarm

Won't know for a year or 2 if you made the right choice.  ;)  That's the trouble with life,no way to turn back time and try another saw. I was just at the dealer in Buckfield and he had some 372 on the shelf. I had a 372 for years now. Just replaced the anti vibration springs on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mjeselskis

Quote from: thecfarm on February 21, 2012, 08:32:21 AM
Won't know for a year or 2 if you made the right choice.  ;)  That's the trouble with life,no way to turn back time and try another saw. I was just at the dealer in Buckfield and he had some 372 on the shelf. I had a 372 for years now. Just replaced the anti vibration springs on it.

Was it Frechette's in Buckfield? I saw that 365 at Ralph Libby's in buckfield, but he normally sells all Jonsered.

I'll try to make this one of my last questions. People mentioned the new 365 vs the "old" 365. Any way I can tell if the one on the shelf that i saw is the old style or the newer one that is nearly identical to the 372?

Thanks again

John Mc

The new 365/372's designated XP X-Torq... are exactly the same saw, notwithstanding the restrictor plate in the transfers of the 365 that is not found in the 372.... You can remove the transfer cover and grind the restrictor out and viola', you have a 372. Either version and displacement is a fine saw. If it were my money, and I was in the market for this size saw, I would get the 365 and get to grinding.

I believe I read somewhere that the difference is in the transfer covers themselves, and not in a separate restrictor plate. If I'm remembering correctly, the photos indicated that you could not make the change simply by grinding. You'd have some extra work to do You have to make the channel on the cover deeper, but there is not enough meat to do so without building the cover up).

I may be remembering this incorrectly, but it's something to look at more closely before you buy a 365 with the idea of converting it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JohnG28

One word of advice I can give you.  I bought a Stihl 361 a couple years ago.  I love the saw and wouldn't ever give it back.  I do have a reasonable amount of money invested in it, and if I didn't mind collecting saws and only had one main saw I would have gone bigger.  It remains my largest saw for the moment, but I hope to add a 460 this year.  For the small price difference go a little bigger, I doubt you will regret it.  Happy saw shopping.  ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

nmurph

Quote from: John Mc on February 21, 2012, 07:50:35 PM
The new 365/372's designated XP X-Torq... are exactly the same saw, notwithstanding the restrictor plate in the transfers of the 365 that is not found in the 372.... You can remove the transfer cover and grind the restrictor out and viola', you have a 372. Either version and displacement is a fine saw. If it were my money, and I was in the market for this size saw, I would get the 365 and get to grinding.

I believe I read somewhere that the difference is in the transfer covers themselves, and not in a separate restrictor plate. If I'm remembering correctly, the photos indicated that you could not make the change simply by grinding. You'd have some extra work to do You have to make the channel on the cover deeper, but there is not enough meat to do so without building the cover up).

I may be remembering this incorrectly, but it's something to look at more closely before you buy a 365 with the idea of converting it.

The transfer covers are different on the inside, but in that the 365 has the restrictor cast into it. You will need to loosen and raise the cylinder enough so that you can remove the transfer and grind the restrictor off, but it is not necessary to completely remove the cylinder to get the transfers off if you don't want to. As a practical matter it isn't a big deal to pull the cylinder the rest of the way off, but it might be to some. You will also need a Torx bit for the tamper-proof bolts. They have a small hole in the middle of the bit that allows the small pin in the middle of the bolt to slide into the recess. They are available at any automotive shop, tool supply, etc...The whole process is maybe a thirty minute job for a first timer with basic mechanical skills.

thecfarm

Yes,it was Frechette's. Ralph did not want the sell all of the Husky line,trimmers,lawn mowers,snow blowers ect so I heard, so he got away from them. I thought Ralph was selling Efco too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cut4fun

Real easy way to know new from old. New 365 has de-comp button in top of cylinder cover. Old 365 had de-comp button on right side of cylinder.

DeerMeadowFarm

I'd get the 372XP. I have a 346XP now that I cut firewood with now. It's nice and light, fast and powerful. I cut half of what you do per year and I'm considering the 372XP for myself!

Go big; you won't regret it!

How many times have you said:
"Gee, I wish I had built this shed/garage/barn/etc. a little smaller, I have more room than I need."
or
"Gee, I wish my truck had a little less power than it does..."
or
"I wish I had bought a 10 ton splitter instead of this 20 ton splitter...."

;) :D

Cut4fun

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on February 22, 2012, 03:16:20 PM

How many times have you said:
"Gee, I wish I had built this shed/garage/barn/etc. a little smaller, I have more room than I need."

I have actually said this  ;) :D. When I replaced my 70x55 2 story barn with a new barn 36x48 (I think). I just dont need that much space anymore.    teeter_totter

You also need to know the 372 and 365 x-torq are both 71cc now. Only the older ones had cc difference.

nmurph

...and the 365 X-Torq will save quite a few dollars. I believe it is something like $150 dollars cheaper. Husky charges like a surgeon to remove that restrictor.

Cut4fun

I could get the new 365 XT 71cc with 20 out the door for a total of $570 with 18 $560.

HiTech

The older 365's where similar to the 371 XP. They had a power peak of 9,300 rpm's where the 371 XP went to 9,600 rpm. That's loaded speed, not free revving. Free revving they will go close to 14,000 rpm's. I bought my 365 in "97" and haven't had a minutes trouble with it. It has cut a lot of wood. Firewood for the house, firewood for the sugar house and logs and cutting up on the landing, just about anything you could imagine. Been a good saw. The XP's cut faster but for 20 cords of wood a year the 365 will shine. The old 394 XP is a great saw for the landing. Power++

nmurph

Quote from: Cut4fun on February 22, 2012, 04:36:20 PM
I could get the new 365 XT 71cc with 20 out the door for a total of $570 with 18 $560.
The cheapest I can get one for is about $620 OTD with a 20" bar.

Cut4fun

I want to get one to try out for that kind of money. But with about 4 372, 1 2171, 268xp with 272xp topend, 362xp setting on the shelf I just cant make myself pull the trigger on a 365xt even for that price.

Let alone all the other makes in same cc range on the shelf.  :D

mjeselskis

Quote from: HiTech on February 23, 2012, 12:28:56 PM
The older 365's where similar to the 371 XP. They had a power peak of 9,300 rpm's where the 371 XP went to 9,600 rpm. That's loaded speed, not free revving. Free revving they will go close to 14,000 rpm's. I bought my 365 in "97" and haven't had a minutes trouble with it. It has cut a lot of wood. Firewood for the house, firewood for the sugar house and logs and cutting up on the landing, just about anything you could imagine. Been a good saw. The XP's cut faster but for 20 cords of wood a year the 365 will shine. The old 394 XP is a great saw for the landing. Power++

I was back at the dealer's again tonight to pick up my old Husky 44 (1980 vintage). The 365 had the black decomp button on top, so I'd say that it is the 71cc model. I am leaning towards picking it up for 600. The 2156 was 650 and the 2172 was 790. So the 365 looks like a decent deal if it's almost as much power as the 2172. The only thing I can't decide is if it is worth the extra weight for the power. The 2156/357xp looks like a slick saw with good power and low weight. Oh well, I probably can't go wrong with any of them.

If only I had enough cash to buy one of each.

John Mc

If you are seriously considering the 357XP, you should look at the new 555 as well. Similar specs as the 357, and still "pro" constuction (despite the lack of the "XP" designation). THe 555 also has "auto-tune". A video posted somewhere showed the 555 beating the 357XP by a significant margin. And the 555 lists for about $100 less than the 357XP.

I own a 357XP, and like it a lot, but if I were in the market for a replacement in the same size range, I'd look seriously at the 555.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mjeselskis

Thanks for all the input. I went back to my original thought and picked up a 562XP tonight. I am hoping to try it out tomorrow. It sure feels alot better than my old Husky 44.

Thank You Sponsors!