iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winding down

Started by petefrom bearswamp, July 01, 2020, 07:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Update on my going out of business.
Lumber and slabs are moving pretty good so far.
Have about 1 mbf of Hemlock, 2.5 mbf of White pine and 1.5 of hardwood lumber left.
8 slabs remaining and even have a prospective buyer for my hardwood stickers.
Looking forward to an empty lumber yard and hardwood storage building.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Due to rain plus getting the Cabin/property ready for the 4th, I haven's sawed for a couple of weeks.  I could get used to this "retirement" thing, but I have sawing jobs waiting.  DanG.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

Enjoy your well earned retirement!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

cutterboy

You've kept it up for a long time. I hope to do as well. I wish you the very best of luck.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Stephen1

I wondered how that was going for you. Did you sell the mill yet? Or are you going to keep it , just in case the sawdust needs a scratch!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Weekend_Sawyer

Congratulations on your retirement.
I see life like chapters in a book.
What's your next chapter going to be like?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

EOTE

Quote from: Magicman on July 01, 2020, 08:06:04 AM
Due to rain plus getting the Cabin/property ready for the 4th, I haven's sawed for a couple of weeks.  I could get used to this "retirement" thing, but I have sawing jobs waiting.  DanG.
What!???  You're just now finding the "off" switch?  You might not really have to flip the off switch but maybe downshift out of overdrive.   ;D :D  I am finding that pain is my reminder that 7 days a week is too much.  Just have to find balance.  :)
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

petefrom bearswamp

The mill is still for sale, but may keep it.
I have 39 nice mature Black cherry that are dying.
No clue why.
Talked to a gal at the college of environmental science and forestry in Syracuse and she is baffled too.
I have offered them for sale but if I dont get what I feel they are worth, I may keep them and make more boards, BUT I don't want to do this.
I counted the cherry way back when I was young and at that time I had 710 trees 12" and larger in diameter.

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Quote from: EOTE on July 02, 2020, 10:42:06 AM
Quote from: Magicman on July 01, 2020, 08:06:04 AM
Due to rain plus getting the Cabin/property ready for the 4th
What!???  You're just now finding the "off" switch?
I have no "off" switch, just idle.  ;D  I was 'downsized/retired' over 25 years ago so this life is now the only one that I know.
I finished bushhogging the 7 miles of trails on my property yesterday, so all is ready for our July 4th trail ride and scavenger hunt.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moodnacreek

Glad to here you are selling your lumber. I don't think I would be able to ever sell all mine. Must be over 100 M here. Many years of sawing and stacking. The p.p.b.'s are doing their best to help.

petefrom bearswamp

Lumber is moving well.
very little Hemlock left, but 1-2 mbf of White pine.
1-2 mbf hardwoods
5 slabs left
Sold all of my hardwood stickers, 840 of them 1000 softwood stickers and 9 or 10 of my lumber covers depending how many I can get on my trailer.
Ill be ecstatic when the yard is bare and the pole barn empty.
One project I have left is siding for my grandson's house.
1x10 Hemlock in varying lengths for clapboard with 7-3/4" reveal
Think I'll build a jig for my planer to taper the siding
Will be labor intensive but I have the time to do it.

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Update
Hope all forumites and families are well during this pandemic.
Hemlock gone except for a few 1x6 and 1x8 
2 slabs left
500 ft of pine
1mbf hardwood.
Made the siding last week, 3000 lineal feet,  a piece of cake.
Several inquiries on the mll but nobody has been here clutching a lot of green in their hand yet.
Have sold my sick cherry for a decent amount giving the current market
If I had sold it in the late nineties it would have sold for about 2-1/2 times my current price.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Bruno of NH

Glad to hear you are doing well.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

3 Years ago I told Linda that I would sell the mill when I turned 80.
Her reply was "I'll believe it when I see the taillights disappear down the road"
I will be 83 October 9th
Well here it is, last Thursday, on its way to Pleasant View Arkansas 1157 miles away.
My inventory is 99.5% gone and I still have enough other stuff to keep me busy.

Video of sawmill departing
Sawmill departing - YouTube
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Bruno of NH

Sorry for your loss.
Enjoy fishing and hunting.
I hope you will still come to the Northern Projects and hang out with us.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Stephen1

Enjoy your retirement! 8)
Do not be a stranger around here. We still enjoy wealth of wisdom
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

terrifictimbersllc

It looks like it will have a nice safe ride to its destination.

I know the feeling.

Happy trails!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 29, 2020, 01:28:47 PMHer reply was "I'll believe it when I see the taillights disappear down the road"
I see that it left "taillights" first, so does that even count??  ???

I wish you the very best during your next 83 years.  :)

mike_belben

Well good riddance!  On to all the other bigger and better things that mill kept you from doing!  

:)
Praise The Lord

samandothers

You now can catch up on whatever you'd like to do, even goofing off.

moosehunter

Hey Pete,
 You feel the need or desire to run a mill,.... Give me a ring. You are always welcome here. Or,.. we can come to you. I'll tail for you 😁

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

cutterboy

Pete, many of us on this forum are not far behind you. We can't mill forever even if we want to.

I wish you the very best.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

customsawyer

Pete I understand the feelings you are going through. When I sold my first mill it was like a youngun leaving the house. You worry if they are going to be taken care of and everything else.
When you get a chill this winter, come on down to GA.  I have a spare room and you can help me with the mill or getting rid of my inventory.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!