iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

50th Elopement Anniversary + Hawaii + PICTURES....Now 59

Started by Magicman, March 29, 2013, 06:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

50 years ago today, PatD and I began our journey to forever....together.   smiley_love

Just as a sorta introduction to my early life, I left home in July '61 at age 17 never to live at home again. There was not a problem except my folks could not afford to support me anymore so I had to learn to fend for myself. I went to work for Southern Bell Telephone Company in October, '62, but when your pay is only $60 per week, you have no money. This redneck was one broke dude, but I had a job.

I met Pat on the CB radio around the 1st of January, '63 and somehow found out that her birthday was January 13th. No way could I ask her out before her birthday because then I would have to buy her a birthday present.  :o Did I mention that I had no money   ???  Anyway, I probably made myself a nuisance around her place. Heck, they had food, so sometimes I got invited for supper.

We continued to see each other until toward the end of March when her Dad decided that he had seen enough of me. My instructions were to not come back. Pat called me at work Monday morning and we decided over the phone to get married that Friday, the 29th of March.  :o That week we gathered birth certificates, blood tests, and whatever else that we thought we needed to prove our age and get married. Mississippi's marriage laws were too strict, so we decided to hop over to Alabama.

I picked her up from her work Friday morning and away we went in a 1959 Pink Edsel Convertible. I had been living in a rooming house and had no apartment, so my friend Frank, agreed to find us a place before we got back Saturday afternoon. Since my parents had never met Pat, we would go there Saturday morning for an introduction. Everything went off as planned. We got back to Jackson, found Frank who took us to our apartment, and the rest is kinda history. Ten months later we were parents.

The first piece of mail that arrived after we got married came on Wednesday. It was a bounced $10 check from the city of Jackson for the water deposit. Did I mention that I was broke and had no money  ??? ???  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I use to make more than $60 a week and still be broke.   ;D  I want to congratulate both of you on this day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Happy Anniversary Lynn and Pat. May you have many, many more.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ND rancher

Congratulations to the both of you! May the next 50 go well.   Keith
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

clww

Happy 50th to Pat and Lynn! smiley_clapping smiley_love horn_smiley
What a great story of your beginning together. Hope today is especially memorable for the two of you. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

justallan1

Congatulations to the both of you.
Allan

Jeff

Happy Anniversary. :)    Tammy and I also met via the C.B. Radio.  The internet of the 70's :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sonofman

Congrats, MM. Nowdays, it seems like it is only us old farts that are staying together. May you two have many more happy years together. What are you 2 planning to do/done to celebrate?
Located due west of Due West.

Magicman

Thanks for the well wishes.

I am not in favor of a reception, etc. where everyone comes and eats your cookies and drinks your kool-aid so tonight we will have the entire family together and will go to a favorite fish house.

And since we started this thing alone, on the 13th we will visit the only state that we have not been to.  We will get on an airplane (now that is a step for me) and fly to Hawaii.  There we get on a cruise ship which moves to a different island at night and you spend that next day doing the touristy stuff.  We will spend 7 days doing this and fly back home on the 21st.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Lynn, that's a great story!  My congratulations to you and Pat on your anniversary!  I hope that y'all have a great time in Hawaii.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

wesdor

Congratulations on 50 years!  Great story that you are sharing.  I suspect there were a few people who said it could never last.  You show what happens when real love is in a marriage.

We have never been to Hawaii, but friends tell me it is fantastic.  Enjoy!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 29, 2013, 09:21:35 AM

And since we started this thing alone, on the 13th we will visit the only state that we have not been to.  We will get on an airplane (now that is a step for me) and fly to Hawaii. 

Post pics.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Been to HI about 10 times. Very beautiful and very expensive. On the big island, make sure you take a visit to the North Shore, as there is less of a crowd. I'll dig through my records here and see if I can locate some business cards of places you may want to check out.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jeff

The one thing I would want to see in Hawaii is the volcano. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Red Clay Hound

Congratulations Lynn and Pat!  Sounds like you've come a long way since 1963! :)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

beenthere

Congrats on the 50. "beenthere, done that" couple year ago.
And our first year was on $44 a week.

50th is good excuse as any for a party.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chain

Congratulations!  I'm sitting here gazing out the window at a flock of Cedar Waxwings sharing juniper berries with each other. So, I know you and your wife have shared many experiences through good and bad times, but that's why we're married so long as to share and help one another.

We saw the Arizona Memorial when out there 30 years ago. A combat veteran of the battle gave his insight of the horrors of that day as we stood quietly in reverence of those entombed. When you get back let us know if there are any Veterans left giving their testimonials, a tribute to real Patriots.

lowpolyjoe

Weekend_Sawyer

Wonderful story, congratulations.
don't forget your sunscreen and floppy hats! Take pix of both!  :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Al_Smith

Neat story ,congratulations indeed .

Chuck White

Congratulations to the both of you!

Diamond Head would be on my list of places to visit!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Al_Smith

Well I'm certain this would not apply but worth mention .

A few years back this young female controls engineer of whom I took under wing was getting married and going to honeymoon in Hawaii .I talked to her like a Dutch uncle .

I said Amanda ,I know you're young and in love .However it might be years and years before you ever get back to the islands .Don't make your only remberance of the trip starring at the ceiling of a motel room . ;)

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

LAZERDAN

I know you were young but did ya all have Have CB handles back then.  My son and his redneck friends all have CB's again even though they all got smart phones, which most likely have a cb app.  Hmmm now I gotta go see.             lazerdan

Thank You Sponsors!