iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging on my own

Started by Manofvalor, October 22, 2016, 01:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manofvalor

I was contacted by a gentleman and his business partner and the want me to log 400 acres of hardwood for the them ......my problem is going about how to charge them should I do by board foot or by stumpage.The trees are 80 feet tall (at least) and he'll be renting log trucks and skidder (I'll be relocating until the job is complete.

OH logger

i would charge what the market will bear. :D. but around here 11 cents a foot to cut, skid, and buck is standard. but if hes providing the skidder that would change. skid distances vary a lot too. around here board footage and stumpage is the same thing. whats the difference there? and where is "there"?
john

sandsawmill14

who is buying the fuel ??? if they are i would ask for $90 a thousand if $110 is the going rate ;D you can always come down if you have to but you cant go up ;)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

redprospector

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on October 23, 2016, 12:07:40 AM
who is buying the fuel ??? if they are i would ask for $90 a thousand if $110 is the going rate ;D you can always come down if you have to but you cant go up ;)
Hahaha! I like the way you think. So I'd ask for the $110...and come down to $90 if I had to. :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Manofvalor

Thank you .....and "there" is Louisiana I've looked at the trees a bunch of red and white oak and a large tract of black walnut any where from 90 to 100 years old also a lot of black bears and wild hogs on the property and they are paying for skidder fuel and loader fuel .....I'm paying for my saws oil and gas to cut down and cut the logs to length basically a supervisor as well to make sure his " crew doesn't steal from him "

Manofvalor

Update I've agreed to cut the 400 acres for 600 dollars a acre the business partners are leasing the Tigercat skidder ,saws ,crew, ,loader they want me to supervise their crew and make sure they are safe and productive they also providing transportation to the mills as well for logs cut by the crew and I ......does this sound fair?

I dont want to cheat anybody

Ljohnsaw

Hm, sounds nice.  How big is the crew?  How many acres/day or days/acre ;) will they be clearing?  You will be mostly supervision or will you be getting your hands dirty as well making it difficult to keep track of them?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!