iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water temperature monitoring (again)

Started by eastman03, November 09, 2018, 10:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eastman03

Hey guys, I have read a lot of the posts on here about different methods of monitoring the temperature in the water lines, remotely and otherwise, but it seems as if there is no standard product or way to do it.   I love some of the raspberry pi solutions, but I'm looking for something more over the counter.  I asked a local dealer for boilers if he had any recommendations and he led me to www.monnit.com website based in the US (I'm in Manitoba Canada fyi).   
Basically I'm just curious if anyone has had any experience with their products?  It would seem to fit the need of any OWB owner looking to monitor temps.  And if I read correctly, you can even get text notifications based on low or high temp readings which would be great for me. 
Thanks guys
Also, if there is any other solutions out there I'm all ears.

mike_belben

On automotive temp monitoring i use $10 chinese "ktype thermocouple probes" from amazon, paired to a chinese LCD display for another $10 or less.  Compared to a $80 autometer gauge its pretty cheap and takes up very little dash space. They make all styles of probe but i use NPT and just drill/tap/weld bungs wherever i need them.  I havent found farenheit displays but after a while the celsius doesnt bother me.  Its just a number.. Your brain will eventually recognize the range of good numbers.  

For home application im sure there are 110v k type temp displays but havent ever looked.  The power needed is probably milliamps, its tiny.  A 12v battery tender will turn them on.  

For remote monitoring i think the simplest thing is a camera set up in your home that can see the displays in the image.  These days all the security cams are smartphone accessible. 
Praise The Lord

mapleveneer

I realize that it still doesn't fit the over-the-counter category, but the current raspberry pi solution has been made much easier thanks to Node-Red being included with the basic pi setup.  Use DS18B20 thermocouples available @about $2 each.  There is a node-red node available that reads these sensors.  Using node red you don't need to do any coding, the whole program is gui-based, you just wire things together on the screen. You can output to displays, gauges, graphs.  Can send emails, push notifications, even tweet.  Set high and low temp alarms.  Control relays.  Nodered.org.

Thank You Sponsors!