iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dropped a nice Red Oak the other day.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, December 14, 2013, 04:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I wanted to share this with you all.
Like my subtitle says Jack of All Trades, Master of Fun!
I have been dropping trees for many, many years. Usually incorrectly.
In the last 5 years I have learned quite a bit about tree felling. Mostly from here and also across the internet.
I have been wanting to take the game of logging to learn more but alas, my day job... need I say more.

Anyway, have dropped some trees lately and MAN they are falling right where I want them.
The biggest one is this red oak that measured 31" at the stump. I put it 90 degrees from the lean.
Don't worry, this doesn't mean I'm going to try any technical take downs near a house!

Here's a pic.

Waa Hoo
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Holmes

Looks like a job well done and you're havin fun.  8)
Think like a farmer.

clww

Having fun and nobody got hurt--that's the main thing! :) :) :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now what? Hook the Harley to it and pull it ;D out?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Way to go! learning face cuts and the direction then using wedges is a might force that is hard to beat.
I too learned a pile from a certified logger this past year.  On hills and ravines, no problem, if done correctly.
As to the Harley, I reckon so, a skidder is a skidder, just missing the diesel smell,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Autocar

Looks like your getting the idea down, as you progress in timber cutting your want to make that cut alot closer to the ground theres alot of nice wood there plus board feet your losing. Keep up the good work and be safe.
Bill

thecfarm

It's easier,just learning, to cut high. Once you gain some know how come down closer to the ground. Closer is better. It gives you more practice on sharpening a chain too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Good job with the felling.  Looks like there were a couple of "widow makers" hanging up there too.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

What you talkin' about Ray, those high stumps are best when a little snow covers them up and you drive over top with the tractor and then it spins a tire just a wee bit.... Thats when you learn to cut the darn things lower.  ;) :P   I now cut them low, no need to walk a mile for help.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

isawlogs,I had a man,42 years older than me my whole life,looking over my shoulder to make sure I cut every stump as low as he would. You catch on pretty quick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Ray, I had his cousin eyeing me, but my X-BIL had no training and often left stumps high enough to get the tractor caught on them...... >:(   ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks guys, a little knowledge does go a long way!
I cut the stump off for firewood later.

Danny, that ol 066 was the best thing i ever bought on ebay.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

gspren

If you want more practice just come on up and I'll point some out to cut, I'm not that far away. Bring your 066 or use my 044.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!