iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping is a mess too.

Started by boonesyard, May 08, 2021, 11:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Quote from: Daburner87 on May 09, 2021, 10:34:39 AM
If you want to tip your Rural Carrier call the post office and ask them who your regular carrier is, and what days they work. Then leave the flag up with an envelope with their name on it saying "To our mail carrier Such and Such".  Ive also had customers send me a letter directly at the post office address with a check written out to me inside. Some people are very creative.

To tip FedEx and UPS drivers leave an envelope on your front door that says UPS or FedEx on it so they can see it.

If your carrier still messes up you gotta speak with them direct or leave a note in the mailbox.  We dont like getting complaints any more then you like complaining.  
I was told  its illegal to tip a USPS worker because it's a federal job and anything over $20 can cause them to loose their job if caught. Everyone  has their hands out these days for services we allready pay top dollar for. 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

RichTired

US Federal regulations forbid postal employees from accepting cash or cash equivalents — that includes that Visa gift card, although they can accept gifts worth $20 or less.

So I put a gift card addressesed to the mail carrier's family to share thru out the year.

My father-in-law retired as a letter carrier. His last route of twenty plus years was in an affluent section of town with lots of widows with railroad pensions and other dividend checks monthly. He got lots of "gifts" over the years. Just to say, we had ham every Christmas for years thanks to those nice old ladies... :)
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Southside

I do believe you are correct there 21 on the "gratuities" matter.  My square system has an option for "Let customer leave a tip" which I intentionally shut off as it prompts the customer if it's on and personally I find that offensive.  Get tired of the jars at take out places asking for tips.  If someone feels I deserve it then they will leave one. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Iwawoodwork

We  have had very good USPS service here by our rural postal carrier, Ups has been good also however Fed ex I had some issues with such as leaving packages 3-400' down the driveway where it can not be seen from the house several times, the last issue was just about a month ago and a relief driver was turning around in the house parking area and clipped the rear corner of the wifes Mercury Grand Marquis breaking tail light and damaging rear bumper. He did come find me as I was farther back running the sawmill. It tore the wheel well trim clear off the Fed EX van. When he and the manager came out 3-4 days (after the weekend) later for the manager to look at the car and fill out his report I also mentioned about them leaving packaged down along the driveway. We have a large Dog crate set up about 1/2 way down by the gate for deliveries and we pointed that out to him so we will see.

Ricker

We have no problems with any of our delivery people.  The whole tipping thing puzzles me.  I get why waitresses get them, they make like 5 bucks an hour because they get tips.  But some other professions?  They make good money being barbers, postal workers, lawn care and sawmill operators etc..  I always tip the waitress and the barber cause who wants to walk around with a bad cut.  Beyond that I don't see tipping someone for doing the job they are paid to do and doing it right.

Resonator

When I was a delivery truck driver we were told to not accept tips unless we could eat them, and being in the foodservice business we were given a lot of free meals. ;D

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

chet

We got a new USPS rural carrier recently. Everyone is hoping this one can comprehend what 'DO NOT FREEZE' means, come this winter.  ::)  
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ed_K

We've had usps turn overs the last 6 mo, and every new person has brought packages to big, to the house 1/4 mile from the main rd. We've left a yankee candle in the box next day, so I think when a new person gets the route the old one tells the new one who get good treatment. I've had nothing but bad service from ups, I ordered a drill press from Grizzle and when it was finally delivered the driver saw us in the driveway and backed up and turned around and dumped the box out the back door. We walked down to find the box all smashed up but was lucky all parts were there and none broken. Another time a driver tried to leave my chemo meds down at the neighbors doorstep at the end of my driveway, I yelled at her asking why she was leaving it there, and the reply was she didn't see my address number. There is a 10' tall tree stump there with a 3' square piece of ledge sticking out of the top of it with the number in 12" high numbers. A few weeks after Grizzle sent the drill press they sent 2 more I had a time getting them sent back and since then everything I ordered from them I've gotten extras sent day later, their computer system leaves a lot to be desired. I switched my meds delivery's to fed-x and haven't had a problem. I wish prime would deliver to rural customers.
Ed K

DixieReb31

Quote from: Ricker on May 09, 2021, 04:38:38 PM
We have no problems with any of our delivery people.  The whole tipping thing puzzles me.  I get why waitresses get them, they make like 5 bucks an hour because they get tips.  But some other professions?  They make good money being barbers, postal workers, lawn care and sawmill operators etc..  I always tip the waitress and the barber cause who wants to walk around with a bad cut.  Beyond that I don't see tipping someone for doing the job they are paid to do and doing it right.
Totally agree.  I cannot see tipping my USPS carrier.  Why?  What would a tip do that they should already be doing?  This kind of thinking is why people think they are 'entitled'.
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

WV Sawmiller

I think I am with Dixie31 on this one. I think tipping should be for extra services provided not for someone doing their job. I typically tip my waitstaff because I know their pay is often based on such but I still base my tip on the quality of service and personal treatment involved.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

The country changed our address about a year and a half ago, yet we can't change our address with many of our vendors because it's not a valid address 🤔 now usps is complaining that we are using 2 addresses. All while admitting that they haven't done there part to make it a real address. 🙈

I broke a track the other day on my excavator and it was supposed to be delivered today, but apparently there is an "emergency " and the shipment is delayed. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

kelLOGg

After 9 days I am still waiting for a metric oil plug for the new engine on my mill. Ordered it from McMaster-Carr who from whom I usually get it within 2 days. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Crossroads

Quote from: kelLOGg on May 11, 2021, 06:10:10 AM
After 9 days I am still waiting for a metric oil plug for the new engine on my mill. Ordered it from McMaster-Carr who from whom I usually get it within 2 days.
When an MMC order is delayed, you know there's problems!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

boonesyard

Just got a call from Fedex, asked if I'd be available to receive an order from Woodmizer (my operator seat)? I said sure, glad you found my order. She said at least it didn't take 80 days to go around the world. I said tomorrow would be 13 days since it was shipped from the dealer. She said that's about right, they're running 2 weeks behind  :o
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Crossroads

I was told about 3 weeks ago that if i ordered a seat, it would be 6-8 weeks out. How did you get it so fast?

boonesyard

Quote from: Crossroads on May 12, 2021, 01:00:40 AM
I was told about 3 weeks ago that if i ordered a seat, it would be 6-8 weeks out. How did you get it so fast?
The salesman I talked to called around to different dealers looking for one. Found one in Missouri they were willing to part with. Just lucky I guess, as long as Fedex show up today.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

HemlockKing

I’m waiting a year for mine.
A1

Thank You Sponsors!