iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wester Red Cedar

Started by TimTrench, May 12, 2021, 04:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimTrench

Hi All.
I'm new to sawing lumber, and am currently sawing red cedar siding for my house build.  Steep learning curve...
This cedar is showing these marks up the trunk (see photo).  I have taken a couple of 12 inch rounds off, but the marks persist up the trunk.  The wood where the marks are is not soft/spongy.  The trunk has been well used by sapsuckers!
Is this just the start of rot or something else?  Is the wood useless for siding?
Thanks for any advice.

TimTrench

oops, here's the photo...
r>

Skeans1

curved-wood

I don't know about western cedar but if it was eastern cedar, this type of rot is the worst log you could get. You will get spots of rot on almost every board. A dark brown rot in the center is a bit better, at least you might get some good wood on the faces.

nativewolf

Tim I think you'd get more responses on the sawing section of the forum.  Maybe @Southside or @Jeff could move it over there?  

@Percy @ljohnsaw and other west coast sawyers might have relevant insight but it does look like rot.   
Liking Walnut

Percy

From my results of cutting WRC, this type of rot can buck out as you go up. Not always. I usually buck an 8 footer off to see if the rot has disappeared. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ljohnsaw

I'm too far south for WRC.  I have Incense Cedar.  MUCH thicker bark.  I don't recall having any rot in my IC.  In fact, I cleaned up some logs on my property that were buried in forest litter so they must have been sitting a while.  They were still solid.  The only one I had with some decay was one with an old lightening scar and the ants had moved in.  It was more of an ant excavation than rot.  I'm using IC for my sills and deck.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!