iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Different kind of Oxy Acetylene torch

Started by mad murdock, February 27, 2019, 03:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

not sure how many of you guys/gals have seen a Cobra , formerly Henrob, formerly Dillon, DHC 2000 torch setup, I was first introduced to them in the mid 1980's at Aircraft Maintenance School in Janesville Wisc.  Amazing torches. I finally bought my own setup as I decided to branch out whole hog this year and quit my day job as an aircraft mechanic to expand the sawmill and do my own Mobil based aircraft(mostly helicopter) maintenance service work. I can weld aluminum, stainless, all kinds of steel and even cast iron. All with the same torch setup, as well as cut up to 1" plate steel with plasma like results. Definitely the best welding setup for the $$ anywhere I have seen. I have done a lot of tig and mig as well as O/A and good old stick welding. With this torch you use tig filler rod and even though it is gas, it is just like tig welding except with super awesome heat control which makes it so much easier and much more versatile. I will try and link a vid or 2. The promo vids are not a gimmick it really is as easy as they show in the vids.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Greyman

Interesting.  I wonder why it's limited to 3/8" welding and 1" cutting, it seems like they could just make bigger tips?  I watched a couple videos but kind of fast forwarded a few places.  Do you always do a single pass on welds?

barbender

Murdock, I'm pretty intrigued by those set ups. I watched a demo years ago, it worked so well it actually turned me off- I was afraid it was too good to be true! I look forward to hearing more of your experience with it.
Too many irons in the fire

hedgerow

Mad Murdock
I have run different types of welders and torches for the better part of 50 years. Never ran across the Corba.  The Corba looks to be a interesting tool for ones big tool box {Your Shop}. Keep us posted as you use it. 

caveman

I bought one a long time ago, when it was sold as the Henrob 2000.  It does work well for a variety of tasks.  When cutting thicker metal, I prefer a traditional "Victor" type torch.  The small size of the Henrob tends to get my hand a bit too close to the heat when I have it cranked up.  It is very efficient and I have only had to replace one copper tip over the years (I did not have it spaced right and melted it).

The old man that demonstrated it at the car show I was attending the day we bought it was a cutting master, evidently.  He cut better than anyone I have ever seen.  It did not matter whether he was cutting circles in 1/2" mild steel or cutting out jigsaw puzzles in the thin stuff, he was incredible with this little torch.
Caveman

mad murdock

The thing I like about it is that it does not stress the metal after welding as the heat concentration is so well the weld can be hammered or manipulated without adding stres. I am building an airplane whose main fuselage structure is 4130 tubing. When I was in A&P school I did some cluster welds with the Dillon 2000 torch they had and found it to be consistent and super easy to do. I am looking forward to the build and will get to it as soon as I get my family legally to the states. Hopefully early May. I did make some special tools with it so far, and it is way better than tig. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mometal77

Interesting... well stay away from Hypertherm plasma cutters i had the local central shop fix the plasma cutter and it lasted 15 ft something broke. Plus i asked to get the old board back and it came junked scraped from them taking parts off the thing emailed corporate and sent the info nothing lesson learned cost me 1500 i could have bought a new machine will look into this and stay away from everlast products those people are horrible with support. I was looking at the chinese plasma cutters on ebay one man on u tube his cuts after months of use.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

DMcCoy

Thanks for posting this M M.  I have a project or 2 that I would like to make with aluminum and was considering a spool gun for my MillerMatic.  I think this looks to be what I wil get instead!

farmfromkansas

Just looked at both this one and the Detroit Torch, and the DT is a little less expensive for the kit.  How expensive is the gas, and do you have to lease bottles like you did with an oxyacetylene torch?
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!