iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Reel" McCoy sawing some big poplar..Video. Love that big mill!

Started by richhiway, March 02, 2019, 05:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WV Sawmiller

Neat video. Thanks for sharing. When you split the pith like that don't your boards tend to want to dry with a curled shape as looks to me like there would be a lot more tension on one side of every board than the inside/pith side?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scsmith42

That's a pretty efficient method for quarter/rift sawing with a circle mill.  It pretty much duplicates the end result of how we quartersaw with a swing blade mill.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

jimparamedic

moodnacreek

That's the way I saw 2x6 and 2x8 from big logs. I think everybody does. The problems are; more work and not as straight but much better lumber for those who know.

WV Sawmiller

I am still concerned about the process of ripping the cant right through the middle of the pith. My understanding is that violates one of the most basic principles of sawing. Don't the boards tend to curl inward towards the pith when sawed like this?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

Yes, anytime there is either pith or sapwood on a board it will pull.  However, since he is splitting the pith then rotating 90 and then sawing the boards, they will either have pith or sapwood or sometimes both on their edges, and will curve "crook" instead of bow, same as any QS wood.

Poplar won't curve as much as some woods when cut like that.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Depends upon the end product.  Personally I will never split the pith because I mainly saw framing and farm lumber so I would rather have bow than crook.  Woodworkers would rather see crook which is edged out.

The crook will be toward the bark side and away from the pith.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green

moodnacreek

You get more rift and quartered in the mix. Less shrinkage and stronger. 

Thank You Sponsors!