iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pelletts anyone?

Started by mmtrees, March 30, 2019, 08:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmtrees

Does anyone make wood pellets for stoves or smokers/BBQ's?

I would like to know if anyone takes their shavings from their workshop and makes them into BBQ pellet smokers?

Does anyone know of any small machines that can do this?

doc henderson

there are a ton online.  many of the cheaper ones are made in china.  many are electric or 3 point pto driven.  I think for random wood shavings, might be nice for a pellet stove for heating, but some wood is good for grilling/smoking.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

There's been more than a few discussions on pellets.  Here's one:

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=97859.msg1514596#msg1514596

You may want to search out some of the others.  
HM126

Magicman

The folks that do really well with pellets are the ones that sell the machines/presses.  The users, not so much.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Exactly what Magicman said, the cheap, small, Chinese ones won't make a good product, or won't make any product. The million dollar units cost too much to own and operate to be successful without subsidies. 

It's a racket. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

flyboy16101

I am looking into the same thing currently for the pellet furnaces. From what I have read so far the saw dust would have to be pretty fine something like what comes off a band mill. Any size much bigger would need run through a hammer mill. That being said I can buy 40 lbs bags for $4 to $5 at the local big box stores and running anything other the fine dust would take up a lot of time and extra effort. Also the packaging would take a lot of time and effort. My guess would be that you would have to do alot of volume to get a return on your investment. I did find a company called Buskirk Engineering that makes smaller units that are Made in USA. They have a video on you tube that explains how there machines work and what goes into making good pellets that don't crumble.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

mike_belben

U can make compressed pucks of coarse sawdust pretty easily with a hydraulic pipe rammer and a hunk of steel plate that you put in the path to pack then lift out to ejects.  Waste vegetable oil is an excellent binder to hold it together and make lighting easier. 

I heated a house for a few years on wvo and sawdust.  Has its merrits.
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

I read an article about changing out the auger motor to use wood chips.  the standard motor did not rotate fast enough to keep up the temp with the less dense wood chips.  I thought about making a mold to compress chips to make logs to go into my woodstove.  I would have adapted it to my log splitter to use the same ram/pusher.  but this would be a novelty as the time and fuel would not make sense.  I give planner chips to folks with chickens @Southside .  saw dust from the mill to the burn barrel as it gets rain and snow.  fine table saw dust to my doc with a composting toilet (5 gallon bucket} in his off grid cabin.  fire starters with wax and planner chips, but not enough to get rid of it all.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Yea - some of us have seen what you can do with a cupcake pan, some wax, and chips! Are you on the "Do not fly list" now?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

that is the potasium permanganate and glycerin liquid!  careful they may be reading this forum!!!   :)  not yet on the list.  i wonder when they will add chickens on the list of things you cannot bring on a plane!  @Southside .   8)   fly_smiley air_plane   usflag

Thank You Sponsors!