iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees near Tile Bed

Started by lakeresident, August 28, 2019, 12:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lakeresident

Some time ago, our neighbors asked us to cut down two tall pine trees that were leaning over toward their home. We did that. However, a year or two later, we noticed two new trees growing right out of one of the stumps. Maybe birds deposited seeds? As you can see in picture, the trees have now grown quite tall!

Here is a picture of the stump:

It looks like one may be a white birch - the other I am not sure - maybe an aspen? Here are leaves:

We like the trees and their unique origin, but unfortunately, they are located right next to our septic system tile bed.

I am concerned that the roots could destroy the tile bed. As a result, we plan to sadly cut the trees down.

Finally, to my question! Once we have cut the trees down, what should we do to also kill the root system? Appreciate any advice!

snobdds

Spray the stump with round up...

thecfarm

I am killing a stump as we post,a red oak.I cut a bowl into the stump.maybe 2-3 inches deep. I have  a bucket of rock salt and a bucket of water right next to it. I keep the stump full of rock and water. But round up will do it too. I have done this with popple stumps,and beech stumps. Seem like you cut one of these and you get 1000 more.  ;D :o  The deer like it too.
Welcome to the FF.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lakeresident

Thanks for the replies so far.

I was under impression we could not buy Roundup in our province (Ontario, Canada). But I see it listed : https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/roundup-grass-and-weed-killer-refill-5-l-0599474p.html#srp

The stump based trees are still quite small. Would I grill one or two holes in each and apply the Roundup (or Salt)? Should I cover the big stump to try and stop new shoots growing? (there are some there already)

ADDED: I found this article on-line. https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-kill-tree-roots/

More or less confirms your advice. Problem for us seems to be availability of concentrated Roundup ( article calls for Glyphosate herbicide with 41 percent or higher active ingredient )

Thank You Sponsors!