iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strapping Cart

Started by TimW, February 08, 2021, 10:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

I just bought a roll of polyester strapping.  I will use it to secure bundles of lumber and to strap blade boxes going back to Resharp.  I bought 4,000 feet of strapping, the tensioner, and the crimpers with 1,000 crimps.  I priced carts and lost my breath over the price.  Cheapest cart I found was $250.  

I decided to make my own.  I designed the cart off of my two wheel dolly.  I installed a front wheel bearing hub off of a Ram 1500 pickup.

Then added a backing plate from 3/4 inch plywood, added 2x2 spacers and a front plate over the strap reel.  I cut out and installed 1/4 inch steel plate over the plywood to secure it to the hub.

I still need to install a clip to hold the strap and a fiction brake on the reel.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Tacotodd

Looking good Brandi.

BTW, be careful not to let just anyone see your tool cart, they might think you're conservative or something ☺
Trying harder everyday.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mike_belben

Nice work and yes banding caddies are outrageous.  I got mine at the scrapyard.  

A spring loaded rake tine will make a decent brake. Or a bungee cord pulled over the drum.. Rubber vee belt, anything like that. 
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

be sure and grease that thing every 10,000 miles.  and make a video when you change the reel.  i assume it will sound like a NASCAR pit crew!   :)  looks great.  I spent money on mine, and it is not as heavy as I expected.  I called the company and they said they had a heavier one for more money, but of course the one I bought is called heavy duty.  The company was great, but the first one was flimsy and bent as they changed suppliers.  they got it fixed, but a lot of time on the phone and waiting for parts.  I should of done what you did.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

dougtrr2

Nice cart.  I would add a tray to hold the crimper and crimps.  Keeps it all together and handy.

Doug in SW IA

TimW

Thanks guys.  Sorry for the delay.  I forgot to hit notify before leaving the page.
I'm still working on the brakes.  I just screwed a 2x4 on a pivot screw and added a spring.  I got the clamp for the strap, itself, almost done.  I will finish it later today.  I cut an Acetone gallon can  on it's side and bent the jagged edges down.  I plan on screwing that on the back side for the crimps and tensioner.  The crimpers will hang from the top on a screw.  I did get a handle installed.

I didn't put much time on it as I was distracted by the Houston auction of Richie Brothers.  I was in the timed auction bidding on a 116 gallon poly fuel tank with enclosed pump and  hose under a closable cover.  Just the ticket to leave in a sawdust infected shed.  I won not 1, but two bids.  So now I have two, but will sell one.  
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: Tacotodd on February 09, 2021, 12:43:46 AM
Looking good Brandi.

BTW, be careful not to let just anyone see your tool cart, they might think you're conservative or something ☺
Funny you should mention my SnapOn tool box, Tacotodd. :D  That there is an original SnapOn Taco Wagon. :D :) :D  First of a long line of roll cabs.  I am a "or something". smiley_clapping
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on February 10, 2021, 06:23:44 AM
be sure and grease that thing every 10,000 miles.  and make a video when you change the reel.  i assume it will sound like a NASCAR pit crew!   :)  looks great.  I spent money on mine, and it is not as heavy as I expected.  I called the company and they said they had a heavier one for more money, but of course the one I bought is called heavy duty.  The company was great, but the first one was flimsy and bent as they changed suppliers.  they got it fixed, but a lot of time on the phone and waiting for parts.  I should of done what you did.
Doc,
 I thought about going out and buying a cheap two wheel dolly, but glad I built this with the pickup hub bearing, as that 4,000 foot reel is heavy.   As it is, the cart is bottom heavy before the reel install.   Besides, it is all made from wood cut on the LT40.  It don't get any better than that.  I did keep wanting to lean to using more metal and the welder, but that would have ruined the "wood vibe".
hugs,  Brandi

Tacotodd

I love it, I'm "or something" also!
Trying harder everyday.

TimW

Quote from: Tacotodd on February 11, 2021, 04:48:11 AM
I love it, I'm "or something" also!
:D smiley_clapping smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing smiley_wavy thumbs-up smiley_hellow_im_here smiley_sun smiley_thumbsup
hugs,   Brandi

TimW

Oops, I forgot to add my "finished" photos.   I just made a brake out of a short 2x4 with a spring attached.  The strap retainer turned out more elusive than first thought.  I was going to cut a slot in a huge paperclip.  But the hardened spring steel changed my mind.  I was wanting to just pull the strap and it would unwind and the paper clip would slide sideways on the rod, but not fall off the rod.  It would be great, if I could cut the slot.

Here is my cut down Acetone can doubling as a crimp container and tensioner holder.
I was going to paint, "Strapper" on it and started to paint, Scrapper.  I had the SC painted when I realized my mistake.  So I changed the C to an O and added another S, so SOS. :D

hugs,  Brandi

samandothers

Nice job! Very creative on the cart and word correction!

doc henderson

if the paper clip is not doin it, I can post a pic of mine and how it is done.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on February 14, 2021, 09:20:00 PM
if the paper clip is not doin it, I can post a pic of mine and how it is done.
Doc,
    Right now, the installaion is semi automatic.  Meaning I have to unclip the strap and pull.  Please send pics of your's and how you did it.
hugs,  Brandi

doc henderson

here are pics of the strap retainer.  

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on February 19, 2021, 06:05:40 PM
here are pics of the strap retainer.  

That is simple and easy to make.  I will make one like it.  Thanks Doc!
    hugs,  Brandi

TimW

I used the "Strapper" cart yesterday and again today.  Wouldn't change anything but add a more secure place for the tensioner.  Right now it just sits in the open top gallon tin can that holds crimps. 
 hugs,  Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!