iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Headlight Hack

Started by Jeff, March 24, 2021, 09:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

My son is driving his mom's 2009 malibu that has been junk sice it was new in my opinion. It's had more money poured in it over the years than any misengineered car deserves, but I digress. 

The headlights on the thing were so cloudy the lights died out about 100ft out.  i refuse to put any more real money in the thing. Ive tried those polish kits. They only work if the lights are not real bad. These were bad.   I'm guessing this fix won't last forever, but It may very well out last the hunk a crap It's attached to. If not, I'll do it again. I wet sanded the lights with 800 grit sandpaper, then 2000. I then washed them well, dried them off and made the magic happen. A coat of clear krylon spray paint. BOOM! it filled the scratches and made the lense clear again. Jeremy took it out last night and said the difference was unbelievable. 

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

"clearly a bright idea"!   :D   8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

Excellent idea.  Ill remember that one.
Praise The Lord

Jeff

Not my idea, I saw it on youtube and said Hey!.

Tacotodd

That car is sacrilege to the Chevelle of old. I dislike them myself.

I've been told that toothpaste once a year works for cheap, but I distrust the source. 

NOW, if they only made those out of real glass, then I'd spend the coin on them for my ride, but alas....
Trying harder everyday.

LeeB

Is there clear paint for plastics? Wonder how long it will stick?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Lee, I figure I got enough left in the can to sand and paint 20 times. All for 4.95. 

This is the car you have to remove the front air foils and bumper to change a headlight bulb, and they have a problem. They eat headlights. 

doc henderson

@Tacotodd you shoud really brush those teeth more than once a year.   ;D    :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

LeeB

I've heard of being able to take scratches out of plexiglass with a heat gun. Wonder if it would work for headlights?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Or, why not just spray it with krylon like we did? Day 2. Still there.

Ljohnsaw

I used auto rubbing compound to clean mine on my Toyota Tundra.  Then paste wax.  But they yellow up again in about 6 months.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Mooseherder

I replaced the whole assembly on my 17 year old truck last summer.   They were a lot cheaper than I anticipated.   I think about 250.00 for both.  The originals had been polished a few times and were shot.  I regret not having done it sooner.  What a difference. 

DDW_OR

Quote from: Jeff on March 24, 2021, 05:16:04 PM
Lee, I figure I got enough left in the can to sand and paint 20 times. All for 4.95.

This is the car you have to remove the front air foils and bumper to change a headlight bulb, and they have a problem. They eat headlights.
do not touch the bulb glass with your bare hands. the oil from your hand will leave a residue and cause excessive heat buildup, thus burning the bulb up faster.
if you have to touch the bulb then use New clean rubber gloves.

it is the UV sun light that causes most of the headlight fogging.
"let the machines do the work"

Jeff

Touching bulbs has nothing to do with this car. That car has a defect. Google it.

Ive also replaced harnesses to try and stop it. It is a p.o.c.

DDW_OR

a lemon is a lemon no mater what you do.

cannot even make a lemon meringue pie out of it :D
"let the machines do the work"

Raider Bill

I use toothpaste and a rubber cup on a drill motor.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sauna freak

I use a bentonite coated chamois buffing cloth, then 99% deet insect repellent to and a good rub with soft cotton.  Works like a charm with chalked headlights.  As a field expedient, just the deet will brighten them significantly.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

Al_Smith

They've improved the lights since the days of a T3 Sylvania sealed beams used on '57 Chevys .However the prices are through the roof these days .As I understand it they make something to clear up the plastic on the modern ones .I think sitting in the sun for a number of years doesn't do them any good .

Tacotodd

But I sure do like the old school simplicity.
Trying harder everyday.

Al_Smith

Head lights can be a pain in the back sides at times .I have a pair of Lincoln MK 7's 1984 .One of them would get moisture inside the plastics for some reason .I think how I fixed that was silicon grease on the sealing gasket .Keep in mind that's a Lincoln not a 1949 Ford .No reason for that .Humbug --

farmfromkansas

My wife had about a 2000 model Malibu, and it was a good car, at least as far as we could tell.  Since then I bought her a Toyota Corolla, now that is about a trouble free car.  And it makes close to 40 mpg. She had bridgestone tires put on it, now she complains about the road noise.  One of these days when she is the only grandma driving a car, will probably tell me she needs a SUV.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Al_Smith

Speaking of which. headlights .Driving back from Toledo on Sat .evening on I-75 I thought I finally lost my night vision .Traffic was heavy enough on coming could not  run the bright lights .Made a world of difference  .Come to find out one of the dims was burned out .Driving around like a cyclopes ,perdiddle in days of old .
These dang lights are not like a '57 Chevy at 4 bucks a pop .$29.95 for one ,wow :o BTW I had to get on You Tube to figure out how to change it .

Ljohnsaw

Yeah, had the same thing.  Driver side dim went out and for a few nights (don't drive at night much), I couldn't see too well.  Went to the auto parts store to get a new bulb.  They had normal, bright, super bright and blinding LEDs.  I think the top end was something goofy like $65/bulb - maybe more.  Anyhow, reading the packages, the brighter the bulb, the less life they had.  Great, pay 50% more and get 50% less life.  Also, it was a good deal to buy a pair.  So I did and replaced both and saved the one for a spare.  My thinking is the new ones would be brighter just because they are new.  It would be just my luck to change the bad one and then the other would die the next week.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Al_Smith

The danged light bulbs have changed drastically over the years .Plus what you have to go through to change them .I can figure it out but it's just as simple to You Tube it before I even start in .
Some time back I had the lights on a Lincoln MK 7 fog up .It was a Florida car sitting in that hot sun .I used something which I forgot what to buff most of it off .On a '90 Cadillac I had both dims blow out at the same time 20 miles from home at 10 PM .I imagine I annoyed a few people driving with the brights but I really had no other choice .

Al_Smith

To revisit this topic I wonder if that Krylon clear  paint will renew colored plastic .On the rental house I am trying to sell the plastic features such as attic vents have faded as have the screen/storm doors .They are kind of a reddish lavender .I should have known better because in time anything with red pigment will fad in the sun .That job of vinyl siding was done 24 years ago if memory serves .

Thank You Sponsors!