iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

helping out a buddy.

Started by doc henderson, March 27, 2021, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

my friend Dallas called and asked if I could help him weld up a cart for his welder.  He showed up with a little buzz box and 2 sticks of angle iron.  This was not my idea, but the old buzz box I had, had two wheels on the back and a swivel caster on the front.  we took some measurements and went to TSC and got two 10 inch wheels with half inch holes and an axle and caps for the ends.  we got a 2 inch swivel caster.  after that was done, we fabed a handle out of 5/8th sucker rod, and then some hooks with 1/4 inch rod.  with all the rain, he has been organizing his shop.

the wheels

handle painted, and wire leads on hooks.  he is the buddy the went ERCC (eastern redcedar crazy!)

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

There are friends, and there are good friends. You are one of the latter.  Good job.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

olcowhand

Great Job, Doc!
Since my "unofficial" Retirement Jan 8th, I've been doing a great deal of Welding/ Brazing. I recently completed a fab of a small trailer to haul my Lincoln Ranger 8000 Welder/ Generator, and it tries to follow my everywhere.....
And remember: when one helps a friend in need, he is a friend "in deed"- indeed...
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

doc henderson

well would love to see a pic of your trailer OCH.  Dallas and I are always competing to repay the other back.  If others have projects they did to help out a friend or neighbor, feel free to add it to this post.  We all have our talents and tools.  It feels good to get more use from our tools and make a project faster and more polished when it is done.  we get to try new techniques and hone our skills.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

scsmith42

Well done Doc! Simple and effective.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ljohnsaw

I did nearly the exact thing with my Lincoln.  For the handle, I used the top "handle" from an above ground swimming pool ladder.  A piece of 1¼" or so galvi tube in a nearly-180° bend.  Nice and tall so you don't have to bend over to drag it around.  I used a fixed caster in the front.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

doc henderson

I told him to get a leash to attach to the welder and a belt loop and it could follow him all over the shop.  it rolls nice and stable up right.  over gravel you can lean it back like a two wheel cart on the 10 inch tires.  they must be made to do this, but did not find a wheel and axle kit at TSC.

mike_belben

I was guilt/pity tripped into building this total piece of crap boxed shed from a million tuna can gauge pieces for wifes single mom friend.  It took 2 days just to get it assembled. Quite difficult alone with 5 hyper kids going insane.

It was so flimsy i knew it would need bracing inside or someone would just yank a wall open at any midpoint seam. Shes broke, gave me $40 and these 2x3s came out to $38!  I had to provide the screws and bread rack panelling for shelves. 

That sucked up a lot of gas money and every sunny day in an otherwise stormy week where all i got done was dishes and laundry on "spring break" [since covid they hardly even go to school anymore] while my own shed project waits and waits and waits.

Praise The Lord

doc henderson

hope it comes back to you ten fold Mike!  If the kids get along, maybe she can watch kids so you can get your stuff done someday.   :)

thecfarm

Should try putting a swing set together with 2 grandkids watching and the Grandmother all ready told the grandkids it won't take long to be together.  ::)  About 4-6 hours later, it's up and going.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

kids can play in the box.  probably on the slide as it lays on the ground.  in the summer it is the pool.  kids have goggles on and it is a 3 day set up and fill.

Old Greenhorn

Nice job Mike, no matter the cost to you (within reason) those things always work in your favor. If nothing else, when the frustration fades, you can at least say, 'yeah, I'm glad she's happy with it'.
 Doc I have a lincoln that looks exactly like your buddy's. My Dad did the exact same mod on it 25 years ago using the wheels off of Scotts fertilizer spreader. Works like a charm still. I should add the hooks for the cables, I have a 50' lead for the power and 25' of welding cable. Thats a lot of cable management.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: thecfarm on March 28, 2021, 11:06:54 AM
Should try putting a swing set together with 2 grandkids watching and the Grandmother all ready told the grandkids it won't take long to be together.  ::)  About 4-6 hours later, it's up and going.
And this (at least in my case) is why Dad's and Grandpa's are often referred to as 'grumpy'. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

Well.. There was a period where i was quite aggravated.  It started as "help" build a shed but turned into build a shed while the ladies go to dinner and watch her kids and mine.  Then at the end of day 1 its hurry back and finish tomorrow please because i really really want...

Then its hurry up and get the shelves done.  I had to lay down the law about how prime sunny weather to me is like a saturday night to you and im either charging you $100 a day or youre owing me 3 weekend overnights of babysitting so my wife and i can actually have some time together once every few years.  

The girl is a decent person, just was raised by a space cadet mother who doesnt know how to behave.. It was obvious once i met mom and had a few chats with her without my wife getting in the middle.  Theyre just quirky and a little self centered.. Or may not conscious of others.  Had to be reminded your shed isnt my problem, ive got my own. Now we have a clear understanding and were cool.  She appreciates it and my wife is happy that the two of us get along, as there was some issues there.
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

some people you help and they are falling all over themselves to repay the favor.  some cannot and some will not.  Maybe there is a reason she is a single mom. :o sounds mean, but it takes two to tango.  as a pediatrician I deal with it all the time.  most are amazing, but a few use it to there advantage.  we have a lesbian couple we are friends with (in my wife's running group).  My wife was always offering to let me do the jobs they could'nt (although they said they could).  My wife finally figured out when they called, they needed help with something.  OK hate me if you want.  I said not all moms are angels AND I used the word lesbian.   :) :) :)
I like helping people especially those who cannot help themselves.  I will not even start on family.   :D :D :D

barbender

Doc I'm not sure how to respond to that last post, so I won't 🤷🏽‍♂️🤪😂
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

prob. best if only one of us gets sent to the woodshed.  I try to tell it like I see it at least, not sure if that is every one else's reality.

doc henderson

ok back on track.  my friend Dr john Fan had young kids racing along his street and the 16 y/o who took his parents car, no license, and this is his third accident, lost control and hit his mailbox.  John and his son are involved in our troop. John was raised in China in re-education camps and never remembers not being hungry.  

new temp mailbox with ERC post.  he will apply spar and numbers.  it is our old mailbox.

Ljohnsaw

The road up to my street is a fairly steep hill and an S curve.  The bottom of the S is short and a big sweeping top before it goes back to the left and crests the hill.  Maybe 1/10 mile long.

Anyhow, halfway up the hill on the left side, someone racing up went wide and knocked over a mailbox (wood pole).  Had a temp box for maybe a year.  Built a  nice brick one like your friends.  Probably took a month to build.  About a month after completion, got wiped out.  I guess they got a settlement from the drive and a new river rock one was built by a contractor (I presume as it went up pretty fast).  Couple months go by, wiped out again.  Now they just have a box on a wood pole stuck in a cement block sitting next to the busted up one.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mike_belben

my mailbox is a treated pole in a 5 gallon bucket full of firewood and rainwater.  it has never fallen over, even when two barns were blown to pieces.. and is easy to move which has been required a few times to get get big rigs in the gate.  plus its sufficiently redneck and a good directional landmark.  look for the stupid mailbox in a bucket.
Praise The Lord

firefighter ontheside

One of the young guys at the firehouse is finishing his basement.  Me and the other guys at the house have been helping him along with advice, but he's pretty good with construction as it is.  Recently he was getting ready to rebuild the stairs to the basement.  He had bought a yellow pine premade stair tread that had bullnose and all.  I don't remember what the price was, but it was not cheap.  I told him he was going to have to rip it down to 10" and that since it was yellow pine why didn't he just buy some 2x10s and plane them and then route a bullnose.  He said he would do that.  I brought one of my planers to work the next week so he could plane his boards.  I suggested that he plane each piece on both sides and keep going until he got all treads to have a good side.  I think he ended  up with about 1 3/8" treads.  The following week he was going to do the bullnose and had brought a borrowed router and the 3/4" roundover bit he had bought.  He discovered the router had 1/4" shank and the bit was 1/2" which was not surprising for such a large bit.  He was bummed that he would not be able to get the treads done that day, so I suggested that he come to my house after work the next morning and use my router table to get it done.  He showed up about 9 and I put his bit in the router and showed him how to use it.  I watched him do a few to make sure he would be safe and then left him alone.  After he was done he said he had no use for the bit, so he gave me the bit.  The next time at work he showed me the stairs and he had done a very nice job staining and installing them.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Al_Smith

Mail boxes ,hmm .Seems to be great sport for country bumkin crowd to take target practice on with beverage bottles ,rocks and baseball bats .On top of that snow plows get their share of them too .I had a spare box set in a 5 gallon bucket full of stone for about 2 months because the ground was frozen and I could not drill a new hole .
The welder  ,Lincoln "tombstone " good machines .The older ones ,copper wound didn't even need a cooling fan ..I've got an antique Lincoln in my shop ,circa 1940 that has a movable core no fan .In my garage at the house a Marquette multi tap my dad had .No fan, might have came over on the Mayflower .Oldies but goodies just like me :)

doc henderson

teaching the woodworking merit badge at scouts last evening.

please note the use of safety equipment for teaching purposes including my original pair of Carhart suspenders.  Dr. John Fan was in attendance and took the pic.  @Skeans1 .  my wife is not a fan of me in suspenders, so I wear them most everyday, especially doing flooring and other jobs bending up and down.   :)

Tacotodd

Dang doc, I was just thinking to myself and I said "Self, that's only the 2nd thread that you've seen doc in without his beard that you've grown accustomed to seeing in his avatar, so you're going to have to mention it to him when the time is right." Well, this seems as good a time as any. 

Sorry about the derailment folks, it was bothering me. Boy, do I feel better. 
Trying harder everyday.

doc henderson

my threads tend to plow a wide girth.   yes I kept the avatar pic, but normally have a beard mid October to at least Jan.  and if camping in the winter, til latter Feb.

Thank You Sponsors!