iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

helping out a buddy.

Started by doc henderson, March 27, 2021, 01:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

Doc, I just saw this welder modification and I am going to borrow it for my older version of the same welder if you don't mind. You lots of "good works" there btw.

doc henderson

you bet.  it was not my idea, but installed on an old buzz box that was given to me.  it appears they are made to do that.  tractor supply 2 inch front swivel caster with a 3/8th inch bolt.  back wheels with 1/2 inch axle and hole size, with 10 inch wheels.  got the axle caps in the same hardware isle.  handle out of sucker rod.  go for it!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Mine had little wheels maybe from a maybe a small kids wagon either way they were way too light the little tires came off and the axle bowed as well.  I took them off.  It would be nice sometimes  if it was more  mobile. 

doc henderson

take some measurements and figure the difference from the front with a caster vs the radius of a wheel on an axle.  take a tape measure to the store.  lol
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Would a 2 wheeler, dolly do it too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

that is a good idea.  you would have to tip it, and this can follow being pulled by the leads, (prob. not the best idea).

Al_Smith

Much could be said about the Lincoln "tombstones " .The really old ones were a multi tap ,no selector switch .Followed  by the copper wound with a  switch  and then later aluminum  wound .If I'm not mistaken one variation had a rectifier and thus the option of DC but at a reduced heat range . Lincoln must have made millions of them .

Magicman

My "Cabin" Lincoln "tombstone" is permanently ratchet strapped to a two wheel dolly.  I attached a tool tray on the back to hold stuff like c-clamps, chipping hammer, wire brush, etc.  A screwtop welding rod canister is zip tied to an upright.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

I've burned a lot of rod with those tombstones. They'll lay a better quality bead than me🤷🏽‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Aluminum is a cheaper copper replacement that seems to have come about as a consequence of wartime shortage or atleast diversion of copper.  The issue is a thermal one.  Copper is more stable tham aluminum so as the machine runs on and on a copper wound unit will have a more consistent arc from first strike to last than an aluminum one. 

Aluminum wound welders need tweaking to stay steady as they get hot and cool.  So say the pipeliners.. And hence the fabled SA-200's fame.  Its copper wound and is a direct DC generator.. Not an AC rectifier.  Really its a huge starter motor with an AC exciter piggybacked on the shaft to generate the field. 
Praise The Lord

Remle

Quote from: doc henderson on March 28, 2021, 08:01:45 PM
ok back on track.  my friend Dr john Fan had young kids racing along his street and the 16 y/o who took his parents car, no license, and this is his third accident, lost control and hit his mailbox.  John and his son are involved in our troop. John was raised in China in re-education camps and never remembers not being hungry.  

new temp mailbox with ERC post.  he will apply spar and numbers.  it is our old mailbox.

Doc
I struggled with this since I read your post as to whether I should even comment on it or not. And my conscience has finally won out, so here goes. I presume you gave him the wooden post, great job !! Not only have you presented a nice gift, you have also brought up a very good point. I don't know the laws in other states, but in NYS it is illegal to put a DFO ( Deadly Fixed Object ) in the highway for a very good reason, your pictures explain it very good. Imagine if, instead of falling in front of the vehicle what the results would have been if the separated portion of the concrete structure had slid up the hood of the vehicle in to the car, serious injury or even the death of the driver/passengers if their were any. Please encourage him to keep the wooden post and get rid of the DFO.. While it's natural to want to protect one's property, is it worth the gamble of taking some one's life because of an error in judgment.. I think not.. now I'm not down playing the drivers actions, but I sure would not want anyone to die because I may have to fix my mail box.

doc henderson

your insight and comments are taken in the spirit intended.  I agree.  not sure about the law, but in this subdivision with lots of nice homes, they are majority masonry mailboxes.  this is a residential street.  So it appears that what ever ordinance allows this.  they are at a stand still waiting on insurance.  but the mailbox is about half built up.  good advice, and I am trying to help them as they are Chinese and do not fully comprehend building stuff, and insurance ect.  the mason has built many of the homes and mailboxes in this area, so hopefully he is aware.  glad no one died.  I remember some folks after several issues with people hitting mailboxes (intentionally) they reinforced them to do damage to the cars.  I had a friend who had people run up in the front yard at night and spin tires, ruin lawn.  so his dad mad a board with nails sticking up and painted it green.  they did find the car a block away and figured out who was doing it.  Thanks for the concern @Remle 

farmfromkansas

My house is along a state highway, and used to have my mail box hit often.  At first was considering putting a large diameter pipe, filled with concrete to mount my box on, then talked to a deputy, and he said that putting something tough along the highway would cause me to have huge liability, if someone hit it and it killed or injured them.  So put a pivot on a pipe mounted about 3 feet off the road, so if someone hit the box it just spun around a ways.  Worked pretty well, but finally saw where folks were mounting their mail boxes about 10' off the road, and the highway dept would widen the pavement there so the mail man as well as the patron could pull off the lane of traffic to use the mail box.  Asked the local highway man, and he said no.  So talked my neighbor into setting the mail boxes off the road anyway.  Just carried a few buckets of gravel to fill the ruts from pulling up to the mail box.  Neighbor moved away, but both mail boxes are still in the same place, and it is safer for us and the mail man.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Ianab

Quote from: farmfromkansas on May 17, 2021, 11:22:31 PMbut both mail boxes are still in the same place, and it is safer for us and the mail man.

On the local mail runs, if the driver can't get completely off the road when they stop at the box, you aren't getting any mail. Many have them mounted in the driveway, which means pulling in and backing out, but at least it's clear of the traffic. Others have various pull in bays.  On the quieter back roads it's not so critical, as long as it's in a safe place to stop. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

samandothers

I must add a mail box on a 1.5 lane gravel road that has a bank on the side of the of the road where the mail box would be located.  I had considered adding dirt and gravel across the road so the mail person could pull off the road to place the mail in the box.  Not sure that is a good idea as it would almost appear as if the mailbox was sitting in the middle of the road or wide place in the road.  :o

Don P

I'd stop in at the local PO and ask them what they would like. On our roads the ROW is a good bit wider than the road, they might ask the DOT guys to have a little grader incident to make it work better.

Tacotodd

Quote from: Don P on May 18, 2021, 06:07:29 PM
I'd stop in at the local PO and ask them what they would like. On our roads the ROW is a good bit wider than the road, they might ask the DOT guys to have a little grader incident to make it work better.

Don't do this as any thing that might have to go through any sort of "committee", just wait until you see the road crew out and offer them "something"  ;) to help make it expedited. Otherwise it's going to be a week from never  :( and that's a bad way to go no matter what, because nobody wins & everyone loses, well, almost everyone. I'll not get into further for knowing that it'll become political.
Trying harder everyday.

doc henderson

insurance is finally settled.  got some money for my retired friend that helped clean up and dispose of the old brick chunk.   I think his wife knows what she want and should be completed soon.  nearly every house on their street and in the subdivision, has a masonry mailbox.

Thank You Sponsors!