iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Surprise visitor

Started by sawguy21, May 27, 2021, 09:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I was sitting with my back to the living room window when I heard a noise behind me, turned around and was eyeball to eyeball with a black bear cub scratching at the glass. :o  It was gone by the time I got the camera out but neighbor says it is still hanging around so c/o has been called. It looks like a yearling but haven't seen the sow. I live in town but this is not uncommon.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

I thought it was going to be something scaly and slithery. Reminds me several years we took a trip to Yosimite and after about 5 days into our trip our daughter mentioned "You know we have not seen a bear this whole trip." That afternoon we were having a late lunch at the foot of El Capitane when my daughter looked up and said "Oh my God. Its a bear!" She, my wife and our travel buddy ran to grab their cameras while I packed up the food. It was a young grizzly cub about 300 lbs or so with big fuzzy looking ears. I was waving at him and he was real tentative and stood and leaned on a nearby tree and sniffed the air and smelled food from a couple a couple hundred feet away. I didn't want to yell and scare the bear away so I was waving my arms till they saw me then I pointed to the bear headed their way and they jumped up and started packing too. He wasn't hurting anything but we knew if  he got too comfortable around people he would have to be relocated or destroyed so the best thing to do was keep the food away and try to scare him off. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

That is my concern about this one. A habituated bear is a dead bear. I once worked in a national park, a bear was trapped and relocated after tearing up a tent. The wardens stopped for lunch on the way back, by the time they returned it was at the campground so had to be put down.
Our scaly and slithery neighbors are garter snakes and bull snakes which are quite harmless. Further down the valley they get the northern Pacific rattler which normally leave people alone, their most frequent encounters are with nosy dogs.

Southside

My first home sat on a lake about 1/2 mile off the road, no neighbors - absolutely loved it there.  The bathroom was off the kitchen and being a bachelor I walked into the kitchen one day after taking a shower while towling off.  Turned around and right there in the kitchen window was a mature cow moose with her nose through the opening.  Not sure which of us jumped higher!!   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

I've came across 3 bears in different locations so far this spring. None much over 200 lbs. Haven't seen any cubs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

I haven't seen any bears this year and I'm deep in the middle of nowhere. Sightings are somewhat frequent here. Haven't heard coyotes yapping in the night for awhile either, I see lots of deer though, I can almost walk up to one, same with the rabbits(snowshoe hares) here, actually I was wheel barrelling dirt around yesterday and one ran right up to me and got on his rear legs and sniffed the dirt I had in the wheel barrel  :D , figure I must be active enough with the sounds of saws, machinery, boulders smashing etc that they keep their distance from my area. I do have frequent bobcats 
A1

SwampDonkey

I get frequent neighbor's barn cats. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 28, 2021, 05:02:57 AM
I get frequent neighbor's barn cats. :D
We use to get a barn cat show up, he was a hard old fella, parts of ears missing, bobtail, his name was lard ass  :D . I believe he is long gone now, hasn't been around since 2010.
A1

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 27, 2021, 10:29:12 PM
That is my concern about this one. A habituated bear is a dead bear. I once worked in a national park, a bear was trapped and relocated after tearing up a tent. The wardens stopped for lunch on the way back, by the time they returned it was at the campground so had to be put down.
Anybody know this book?   Talk about a habituated bear!  Wasn't the warden who was supposed to put him down. Different times.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tacotodd

The warden most likely should have.
Trying harder everyday.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

Since we are talking about bears did you know a bear is one of the ultimate omnivores? He will eat meat, fish, berries, nuts, grass, honey, most planted row crops, and anything he can find in your trash can. In the northern regions they fatten up so they can hibernate during the coldest parts of the winter but in the warmer areas of the south they hibernate little if any and remain active during the winter.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

metalspinner

Omnivores. 
Bears make the news all the time here. But this story wasn't so cute and cuddly. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/5779398002
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sawguy21

My little guy was entertaining to watch but not all encounters end well for either party. A few years ago a couple were camping near Mackenzie BC and presumably he got into the adult libation a little too heavily. She went to bed leaving him sitting by the fire, came out in the morning to find what was left being guarded by a wolf and a bear.
Blacks are generally quite timid and will leave us alone unless cornered or guarding food or young. Grizzlies on the other hand can be quite aggressive and are best avoided unless one is well armed and knows how to use it. They are in this area but I have seen very few.

WV Sawmiller

I hate bears. One cost me a new hot water heater. There is a game trail crossing under my neighbor's fence and my natural gas line runs right under it. Several years ago we started having problems with the gas hot water heater and replaced the thermocouple. That did not fix the problem so we bought a new gas hot water heater. It did the same things so we called the gas company to check the meter. The first thing he did was ask if we had any shutoff valves between the meter and the house. "Yeah, there is one over there under the fence. There is a orange stake beside it to keep the road department from mowing into it." He went out and came back laughing. Evidently a bear had walked under the fence and stepped on the gate valve to the gas line and shut it about 3/4 shut reducing the flow. He opened it back up and there were no other problems. I went out and duct tapped it open to prevent a recurrence. So I figure that bear cost me the price of my new water heater.

Actually, I don't hate bears and don't hunt or let anybody else hunt them on my place.
Howard Green

Southside

He was just trying to help you conserve energy!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

He better not try it again or I may decide instead of gas heat I can just wear a heavy bearskin coat and hat! :D
Howard Green

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 28, 2021, 04:06:51 PM
  He better not try it again or I may decide instead of gas heat I can just wear a heavy bearskin coat and hat! :D
I would not suggest "a heavy bearskin coat and hat" as proper outdoor wear during hunting season.
You might be the recipient of a high speed telegram.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

How about if I wear the hair side in? ;) I can wear my orange collar as a hatband too.
Howard Green

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 28, 2021, 05:56:51 PM
  How about if I wear the hair side in? ;) I can wear my orange collar as a hatband too.
Mr. Green it's you're safety so do as you wish.
Suggestion: make sure your will is up to date, just in case.
Remember where you are.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Peter Drouin

Never any problem in 66 years with them.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

You must not have any exposed gas line valves. :D :D
Howard Green

sawguy21

The cat doesn't look the least bit concerned.

Old saw fixer

I wouldn't be too sure of that, @sawguy21.  The cat's ears bent back and the fluffed tail tell a different tale, at least to me.  But I could be wrong. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

HemlockKing

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 29, 2021, 06:59:34 AM

Never any problem in 66 years with them.
Fella in the last photo smiles for camera!  :D
A1

Thank You Sponsors!