iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grilling on the 4th has gotten expensive

Started by 21incher, July 04, 2021, 07:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

We usually grill baby back ribs and chicken wings on the 4th of July. Last year the ribs were $2.99 a pound at Costco and wings about $2.50 a pound. Went to Costco for ribs last week and they were $5.99  :o a pound and wings $4.99  :o. Needless to say I refuse to pay $10.00 for a 2x4 and those prices for the meat. Well we went with Sausage, pepper, and onion sandwiches on the grill instead. Some peppers were from the garden.

I thought they said it would only cost  16 cents for your holiday celebration. If I bought what we have always eaten in the past it would have been over $30.00 more. With sausage it actually was less not counting the gas to go buy it.  digin1
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

Looking pretty dang tasty!

We had hot dogs!  They were our first meal in a new place.  Don't tell anyone.  No CO yet but power is on and microwave is in.  We decided instead of camper try out the new digs.   ;D

Happy 4th!

thecfarm

We only had burgers and hot dogs. Wife gets a deal on hamburg, Buys at least 25 pounds to get a good price on hamburg. I can remember when hamburg meat was cheap.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Grocery prices have gotten out of hand. I don't eat a lot of meat anymore although I love it, can't afford it on my pension. Beef has gone stupid, pork and poultry can be had on sale. Don't eat fish I don't catch.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

we had hamburgers over wood fire along with roasted ear corn still in the husk and toasted buns (Kings Hawaiian).  in the house we cut up watermelon, and strawberries, and did stir fry of yellow and green squash, with onions and mushrooms.  my daughter helped.  my wife was off at 6 and home at ten after.  we ate and I showered and had to be at work by 7, so Georgia did the clean up.  was plenty stuffed and ready for whatever comes our way at work tonight.  it was good and I have no idea how much it cost.  The meat came from out beef quarter we keep in the freezer.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

Hopefully you have a quiet night tonight doc and not a lot of fireworks casualties. 

Joey got down 76 hotdogs today to set a new record.  He's one guy I would  be afraid  to invite to a barbecue. 

Quote from: samandothers on July 04, 2021, 08:26:07 PM
Looking pretty dang tasty!

We had hot dogs!  They were our first meal in a new place.  Don't tell anyone.  No CO yet but power is on and microwave is in.  We decided instead of camper try out the new digs.   ;D

Happy 4th!
Congratulations on moving  in. Happy 4th 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

21 incher, "I think we are going to need a bigger bun!"   :) musteat_1 sketti_1 scuba-smiley fishin-smiley sail_smiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Edvantage

I bought sirloin roasts today and sliced into steaks.  $1.50 per pound cheaper than sirloin steaks. And cheaper than good  hotdogs. The real money waster is potatoes chips. Bag of air with 6 oz chips for $2.99. Is roughly $8.00 + per pound.  Makes $5.00 a pound steak look like a good deal.  Can save a ton of money by avoiding junk food. And get better nutrition. We all tend to complain about the price of gas and than buy a bottle of water for $1.50. I've got nine kids to feed so have had to learn ways to save on grocerys

Raider Bill

Wings have got so expensive that around here in restaurants they sell them at "market" price just like fresh fish.
Had a interesting twist the other day, they deep-fried thighs and legs then tossed them in sauce just like wings. 

I am having the house tented so we are struggling along at a beach bungalow for 5 days.

Been sampling any fresh caught seafood I can.
Last night was grouper stuffed with crab and shrimp all fresh off the boat with a nice gravy on top.
Seafood omelets have been a breakfast staple.

Tomorrow when its all over I will be looking for a cure for the ginfluvirus.
The good thing is I'm pretty sure I won't be catching  malaria or scurvy anytime soon.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Ours was "in da drum" again.

Da charcoal is heatin' up while da chickin' is marinading.

Seasoned and hooked.

Hangin' around.

Just ah Smokin'.

Pulled apart and ready for da chow line.  food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

We had burgers and dogs. My son brought a brisket he had started at home and we finished it on my big pit along with the burgers. Had lots of burgers left so burgers for lunch today also. Have some old friends up from Texas, My son and his family came over and my daughter and her family too. It was a great get together. Had a small amount of fireworks, a campfire, and kids running around. Life is good.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Saturday we had chili and sour dough bread. Bells, jalapeno and fresh onions all from the garden went in. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

I like blackened chicken but hard to find here. I'm not an accomplished cook! :D

hamish

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 06, 2021, 03:25:13 PM
I like blackened chicken but hard to find here. I'm not an accomplished cook! :D
Just leave it on the grill longer!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

sawguy21

Last time I did that the NHL could have used it as a puck.

21incher

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 06, 2021, 03:25:13 PM
I think with the heat up buy you just put them in the sun in a black cast iron pan for 4 hours. Turn and flip after 2 hours.

HemlockKing

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 07, 2021, 05:15:55 PM
Speaking of NHL, Unfortunate turn of events for habs eh? 
A1

reride82

We had burgers from a half beef that we get from family every fall and elk/jalepeno keilbasa from a friend's 2020 elk. No pictures but it was great!

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Raider Bill

Quote from: HemlockKing on July 08, 2021, 04:40:54 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on July 07, 2021, 05:15:55 PM
How about that Tampa Bay team!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 09, 2021, 09:21:51 AM
Quote from: HemlockKing on July 08, 2021, 04:40:54 PM
How about that Tampa Bay team!
I haven't watched Hockey in a very long time, used to go to a lot of games in a previous life though. I came across game 5 and watched most of it. I found the play to be uninspired compared to previous 'game 5's' over the years. Power plays were lackluster in general. I rooted for Montreal just because I never got used to the new expansion teams. I'm old, so you will forgive me if I long for the players from the 80's and 90's that had real flair on the ice.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Raider Bill

To be honest I had no idea the local team was playing or even that it was even hockey season.
I found out this morning.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!