The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Compound live edge slabs  (Read 742 times)

Offline DMcCoy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Compound live edge slabs
« on: July 24, 2021, 08:30:23 AM »
We are doing some logging and had a couple of Western Red Cedar trees blow apart due to heart rot and heavy bark intrusion.   WRC(thuja plicata- AKA Giant Arborvitae) is heavily buttressed at the stump extending 12-20' up the stem.  I'm surprised that mills will pay $2200 Mbf for this stuff but they must make it up somewhere.

I scratched my head trying to decide what if anything could get cut out of chunks like this one.  The idea of rolling this piece back and forth trying to get a board here and there was a giant pita
I settled on cutting through and through, top to bottom and would later edge boards out of the pieces.

Different log with the same issues.  I think I could sell these($$$) in Portland or Seattle to make tables.

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
Re: Compound live edge slabs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 08:47:46 AM »
I have a regular customer who is a logger and saves all the long butts. Anything over 6 gets trucked back to his house and awaits the orders to cut it to. Ive addressed my concerns about getting enough out of them to make it profitable for him and answers with it all pays the same

I have to admit, it gets awful frustrating when 3-4 of these logs his the mill in a row that wont make a board to go with the order.
Your slabs look very nice, I like your idea of selling them in Portland, as long as you dont have to deliver them. That place has took a turn for the worst. 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline DMcCoy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 09:33:23 AM »
Yeah, I have had the same concerns with my logger, but I think he will do fine, time will tell.  We had a lot of just junk trees so the cedar helps make up for clearing it out.

Portland(!)- have you driven through there lately?  !!!  I heard other cities are busing homeless people to Portland.  I-84 is just graffiti'ed.  The homeless trash piles are deep.  I used to have a dim view of the homeless until a saw a panhandler who must have been under 25, female, and an absolute skeleton, like those pictures of Auschwitz.  I thought of my own daughters who are doing great.  It's heart wrenching, I don't know what the answers are. 

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 09:21:11 PM »
Yeah, Ive been through there twice this year and it seems to be snowballing 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 10:06:29 PM »
I was in Eugene for a week last August to help my SIL.  It's all over the place there too.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 10:25:16 PM »
Thats sad, Eugene has always been a neat town. 

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • lets make some sawdust
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 08:41:36 PM »
Uh oh, I think I got bit by the cedar maggots. I had a guy that wanted to sell a cedar that he missed when he was selling a load for poles. The price seemed good at $700/1000. I ended up with 4 16 logs that Ill buck back to 8. Then he said I could have all the tops and long butts I wanted. Anyway, I ended up with about a dozen tops that Ill be able to get 8 out of and 4 long butts that are 4-6 long and have plenty of solid wood for me to use on some interior projects I have coming up in our shop/home. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
MC on live edge slabs

Started by xlogger on Drying and Processing

9 Replies
Last post July 26, 2017, 09:16:19 PM
by GeneWengert-WoodDoc
xx
Live Edge Slabs

Started by Weekend_Sawyer on Sawmills and Milling

17 Replies
Last post June 26, 2019, 03:09:12 PM
by florida