iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing for a Timber framer

Started by Bruno of NH, July 29, 2021, 03:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Do any of you folks charge more.
I'm sawing a frame now and wish I changed more. 
The handing and log selecting ect.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

Timbers should be priced according to grade, size, and length. A 16' pine 8x8 is not a big deal. A 36' 9x12 is a bit more involved.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bruno of NH

The over sized stuff is what I'm talking about .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crossroads

I don't know what his  pricing scale looks like , but I know of someone in my area that charged a contractor $12/bd ft for a 28' beam. If I remember correctly, it was 8x9x28' Doug fir.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

711ac

$2016 initially sounds like a bargain with advantech sub floor kissing $100 a sheet. 😖

Brad_bb

For bigger/longer timbers, it can be more difficult finding the right log that will meet specs.  You can mill a big log and find a defect within the log that can disqualify it for a tie beam or whatever.  You need to have alternate uses to mill for the rejects.  Usually as the size and length goes up the BF price goes up.  It's important to know where it's going in the frame.  A post can have a lot more "character" than a horizontal beam or a rafter.  
To effectively saw timbers, you also need access to a good supply of quality logs to mill them from.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!