iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problem with 028 Sthil chainsaw

Started by lmbeachy, April 13, 2006, 10:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbeachy

I have an old 028 Sthil, probably 15 to 20 years old. Not sure, bought the saw used. The saw ran good, with good power, but suddenly started breaking up under load. Saw starts good, and runs fine at high idle or idle, but breaks up bad under load. Had the local shop work on it, cost me $60.00 to check carb. and plug but didn't help any. Anybody have anything like this.
hotfoot

sawguy21

Get the ignition module tested, sounds like it may be breaking down from heat.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bill

I agree with sawguy21. When we used to run those solid lifter chevies they'd frequently break up if anything in the ignition was marginal.

Good Luck

dozerdan

Hi
  The newer 028s had electronic ignition if its an old 028 it may still use the points style ignition system. Also check the small wires that attach to the kill switch. I have seen them brake and also rub the insulation off of them.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

sawguy21

If the breaker style ignition, check that the points are in good condition and properly gapped. This is critical to good performance. I have also seen poor soldered connections on the condenser on the early Bosch ignitions.

lmbeachy

Thanks for your thoghts, I'm not sure if it is electronic or not, but as old as it is, I would think not. I'll try to make time to check it. In the mean time I have purchased a new 390. It cut like crazy.
hotfoot

mike_van

I have one with points in it, there's a wacky way to set them, because the lobe is on the flywheel, when you remove it, the lobe is not there. What a pain. I guessed at mine, trial & error - 2 years ago, still running good today. StihlDoc probably knows the procedure to do it right, you need a meter hooked somewhere but I can't remember. ???
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sawguy21

It is awkward. I cheated and removed the cam from a junk flywheel. You can also hook a meter or better yet, a buzz box to the switch wire and ground. Advance the cam and lock it in position with a pin through the opening in the flywheel. Now, rotate the flywheel and watch the meter or listen for the change in pitch from the box. The timing marks should be lined up

Thank You Sponsors!