iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone own a DHC2000 gas torch?

Started by Brad_S., December 12, 2006, 12:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

You fabricators among us will probably roll their eyes at this, but I'm welding challenged and thinking of getting one of these torches for an upcoming project.
http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/index.htm
I need to weld a lot of thin sheet metal. I warp the metal too much with a standard torch and I just can't get the hang of MIG welding, or more specifically, the welding helmet. I just can't see what the heck I'm doing and end up wandering off my weld seam. While I realize the demonstrator is a highly skilled, well practiced professional, this torch sure makes welding sheet metal look easy. Too much to pay to end up finding out it's no better than a standard torch. Feedback appreciated. Thanks.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

TexasTimbers

Man I can't help ya on the feedback but I am interested in knowing more about it too. "Cut like a plasma, weld like a tig"? You betchya!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

pineywoods

I've had one for several years, it's a good tool in the right hands, but truthfully most of the amazing demos you see are the user, not the torch. You can do just as well with a regular torch IF the tip is small enough. Warped sheet metal is mostly the result of too much heat spread over too wide an area. For the money, I'd rather have a small wire welder with an argon bottle. Never could get the hang of cutting with the henrob, I usually wind up going back to my old victor.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fstedy

Brad
If you use a MIG outfit just try spot welds spaced several inches apart and keep spotting along your seam until the weld is all filled in and then grind it smooth. Thats how my buddy that owns a body shop does it and the heat is really controlled. You can get away without using a helmet if you shield the arc from your eyes with a gloved hand. You might also try one of the automatic helmets that goes dark as soon as the arc is struck. I've used both methods and they work well.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

scsmith42

Brad, I echo fstedy and pineywoods comments. 

Get a good, auto-darkening helmet, that allows you to adjust the amount of darkening.

FYI - there are different levels of filters available for standard helmets, and the helmet that you're using may have a filter that's too dark for the amount of weld arc being produced, thus restricting your visibility.

Hopefully Quinton (Qweaver) will chime in - he's a retired welding professional and knows his stuff.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Weekend_Sawyer

I am not a professional but I MIG, Gas and Arc weld. I have an auto darkening helmet and I love it. I also find it easy to wander. I do like fstedy says, stop, skip and restart, then go back and fill in. You will need to clean the previous weld area with a wire brush between welds.

If you are running a bead and using an auto dark, you can stop for a second the helmet will unshade and you get an Idea where you are again. I really like my MIG for thin stuff. I have welded on 55 gal drums and stove pipe with no problems.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

Oh yea, the only way to get good at welding. Read the book, watch the video (mine came with a video) and Practise, pracitse, practise. Play with the feed rate and amp settings on your MIG till it sounds just like bacon cooking, nice and constant.

Mmmmm Bacon.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Chris Burchfield

I'll echo all the above. Auto darkening helmet at Harbor Freight 49.99. Hey it's not heavy duty, your not making a living with it but it works. Spot weld with the wire feed, I've done it on autobody aftermarket panels. 1 1/2" apart. Keep skipping to the next spot, takes time but you'll get her done. Then grind it careful not to stay in one spot too long. The grinder will heat it up and warp the sheet metal too. Practice and patience are needed. You try to lay a bead and the sheet will get hot and warp.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

slowzuki

Da bomb as they say for sheet metal is MIG with thin wire, running gas and a auto darken helmet.  The only way to improve warping is to go TIG and get lots of practice.  Don't bother buying a MIG without getting an auto darken helmet, its a waste of time.

I've laid about 30 lb of 0.023 wire ( thats a fair amount for MIG ) into rusty japanese cars and it can't be beat compared to other welding as far as speed and ease of learning.   The torch even with the finest tips is just not good for thin sheet metal, at least I can't be fast enough to keep from warping.

Murf

Quote from: Brad_S. on December 12, 2006, 12:02:26 AM
I warp the metal too much with a standard torch and I just can't get the hang of MIG welding, or more specifically, the welding helmet.

Three words........ practice, practice, practice.

Nobody's born a welder, they just keep trying till they get to the point where boo-boo's stop exceeding the good beads.......

:D  :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Brad_S.

Thank you all for the input, you've saved me $400. I already own a Hobart Handler and a HF auto-darkening helmet. Guess I'll just have to take the advice from most of you who said "practice, Practice, PRACTICE!." Patience is not one of my virtues. :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Don_Papenburg

I prefer the TIG for sheet steel .  Also weld  from both ends  and back weld . That is say start in two inches and weld back one inch then repeat moving to the center from both ends.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Sprucegum

I don't have the torch in question but I do have an opinion  ;) Learning to weld takes a lot of practice, where did I hear that before?

If you don't enjoy it enough to do the practice you maybe ought to farm out your welding jobs and try your hand at .....wood cutting or something  :D

sjh

One way to practice is take some scrap and lay a bead on it. After some practice you should be able to lay a straight bead.The way I learned was to lay one on the outside of the practice block.then one next to it and so forth. I'm in Webster every day if you need any help.
Scott

Thank You Sponsors!