iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blackberry

Started by JAMES G, May 04, 2008, 09:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAMES G

made some peach icecream yesterday with some home made blackberry cobbler using berrys my two girls picked.it was Dan G good.Does any one else have recipies using black berries we are fixing to have a bumper crop in about a week.

Don P

Wow, ours aren't even blossomed yet. We're usually ready about 4th of July in the VA mountains. I hate the seeds, somewhere along the way my wife tried some in a Mouli (sp?) crank type seive. It works great for making jellies with all those seedy fruits.

Radar67

I made some Jelly from either Roxie or Patty's recipe on the Food board. It didn't use pectin or sure gel and turned out real good. I'll be having some is a few minutes.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Patty

I made blackberry jam just last week. YUM!

Our berries are hardly even budding out yet, I had to use frozen berries for the jam.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WildDog

Not sure if jams are made the same in other parts of the world but here's Nicky's recipe, its a hit in our house.

We have acres of Blackberries they're noxious and must by law be controlled but Nicky and my inlaws make sure I leave plenty to pick. ;)

2 cups fruit (blackberry, strawberry etc)
1 pound sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Wash fruit, place in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30minutes. Add lemon juice and warmed sugar. Stir until dissolved. Bring quickly to the boil and boil rapidly (approx 10minutes) until it jells on a cold saucer (plate). Stand for 5-10mins to disperse fruit. Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.

Nicky say's the lemon juice helps it to set when the natural pectin in the fruit is low due to riper fruit.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

limbrat

Me and two of the grandbabies came across some dew berry blackberries sunday and picked all most a 2 liter water cooler full. But by the time we got home alot had been eated. The ones left didnt last long after washing them. I had cobbler in mind but food dont last long around here when the kids and there familys come over for sunday dinner.
The huckleberrys are starting to ripen also.
ben

sawguy21

I was not familiar with blackberries until I moved to the wet coast. The locals spend a lot of time and effort keeping them cut back but they make very tasty jam and pies.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

iffy

Coupla weeks ago I read about a Mexican diplomat in trouble for stealing blackberries at the White House. Wondered what kind of strain they were growin' there to be ready this quick.
Finally figure out they were talking about the ones you play with your thumbs. At least I figured it out before I opened my mouth. Talk about generation gap!

ibseeker

I know what you mean iffy! At first I thought "who can get in trouble for stealing blackberries?"
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Thank You Sponsors!