iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First silviculture class...

Started by VTLogSlayer, January 27, 2009, 03:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTLogSlayer

Today was the first day of my silviculture class of the semester.  Already loaded right down with work.   :P  From what i have heard this class is very tough!  im up to the challenge  ;D  Should be a good semester.  Going outside to visit some old growth next week! should be a good time.  Back to reading my Positive Impact Forestry book that needs to be read for next week! :D
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

beenthere

Good to hear from you.    Enjoy the class.
If you need some tutoring, or anything, give a holler. I'm bettin someone here would be glad to help (or to confuse), whichever the case may be...we might learn something too.. ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodtroll

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

WDH

Old Growth is when you put on a few pounds as you age :).

Way to go VTLogSlayer!  That brings back old memories when I did not have as much old growth :D. 

Keep us informed as to how things are progressing.  I, for one, am keenly interested.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

VTLogSlayer

Attended the first lab today with my good friend and FF member VTbuckslayer! 4 hours a fun  :D  Counted some White pine and black cherry seeds and weight them to determine the number of clean seeds per pound.  I now have 50 Pine and 26 Cherry seeds in my desk drawer...waiting for them to germinate.  And of course a 2 page paper due in a few weeks.  :P  Well its snowing like crazy up here...finishing some work and having a few beers with some of my boys.  Headed out for a late night snowshoe in the blizzard later! should be a great time! 

Beenthere:  I will let you guys know if i need some help.  Im sure i will  :D
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

chevytaHOE5674

I remember Silviculture class, twas a few years back. But its one of the useful classes I remember taking. Luckly mine was in the Fall so there wasn't too much snow until just before semester/Christmas break.

Ron Scott

A must have class for the forester.
~Ron

BrandonTN

Much more fun than forest mensuration class...(in my humble opinion.   ;)).

I'm in my hotel room at the Kentucky-Tennessee SAF meeting in TN right now. Our forestry club has come out for the convention. About to go watch some foresters make fools of themselves in the hotel bar. Cheers!!  ;D 8)
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

WDH

You should be studying (but I wouldn't be either ;D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

VTLogSlayer

Just reporting back from round two of snoshoeing! made a nice fire  and had a great time. ;D  WDH- studying is definitly the top priority ;) not on a thursday night though!  :D BrandonTN- Let me know how the SAF meeting goes.  My silvi teacher was out of class today and yesterday at the NY state SAF meeting.....been thinkin about joining?  ???  But dont really no what it is about. 
- Kyle
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

VT_Forestry

I was down in Newport News, VA for the Appalachian SAF meeting.  Great time, get to meet and talk to some great people not only in the industry but from other schools as well.  And of course you can't forget about the alumni socials  ;)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Clark

Oh silviculture!  The cornerstone of any good forester's career.  You'll learn lots in that class.  I'll have to admit two things though:  I enjoyed Regional Silviculture much more and I never really understood silviculture until I got a job working in the field all the time and could see the ideas in action.  Enjoy your time and ask lots of questions, you're paying for it!

Clark

SAF Certified Forester

John Mc

Quote from: VTLogSlayer on January 27, 2009, 03:48:47 PM
Back to reading my Positive Impact Forestry book that needs to be read for next week! :D

Is that the book by Thom McEvoy. I've run into him a few times over the years, and attended a 3-day seminar he gave based on the book. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ID4ster

I remember taking the silviculture class that you're taking now.  I was a pre-pro student and so had to get a special waiver from the dean to take the class. It was one of the best decisions, educational wise, that I ever made. The Paul Smith's course, at that time (mid '70's), was real hands on. We were assigned a plot and had to do everything to bring it into management from the initial cruising and measuring to marking to cutting the trees and getting them ready to take out of the woods. It was a great course. The first labs had us following the legendary Gould Hoyt arond the woods on snowshoes. He put most of us in the ground the first couple of labs. Enjoy it!! Its a real beneficial course I wish that I could come back to participate in a lab or two. What silviculture text are you using now?   
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

VTLogSlayer

Yeah Thom did write the book.  I will surly let you know how i like it.  Seems like a decent book so far....only 10 pages in  :D  One of the reqirements today in silvi say to have snowshoes! lots of woods time which will be awesome ;D  Last spring semester a few friends took the class and plot work was still a big thing, like you said ID4ster they did all the plot work.  THe course was re-written this year so i will let you know if we do any of that.  I text we use is called Silviculture : Concepts and Applications by Nylund. Last yeat the class used The practice of Silviculture, but she went with Nylunds book due to price and the fact that they stopped printing the other one.  I decided to buy the other one as well...its on its way to school for me.
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

SwampDonkey

Practice of Silviculture is what we used, I think it had a blue and white cover. I think it was one of those Wiley publications and they tend to be pricey.

The 2nd Edition Forestry Handbook published by Wiley was $120.00 16 years ago.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fkarcha

My favourite assignment was when we used BDq calculations to normalize an uneven aged stand. 

Thank You Sponsors!