iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-Classic water temperature problem

Started by trebor64, February 05, 2009, 04:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trebor64

Hi all,

This morning i went to load my e-classic, water temperature (of the e-classic) showed 145. I was surprised since i did load it the prior night and it usually last long enough to have my water temp at around 165-175 the next morning. I figured it may have been because of the wood's type or/and an unusual heat demand. Anyway, I loaded the e-classic again and went back a few hours later, to discover water temp was 133!!!.... but fire was raging in the firebox at high burn. This situation prevails still as of now. Obviously I'm having problem bringing my e-classic's water temperature up. Anyone had this problem? I read from proir posts that some had similar problem while using green wood but I'm using seasoned wood. I'm pretty much a rookie with OWB (I've been running mine for 2 weeks now) and it's the first time i have this problem. Thanks for any info. -Trebor

Hackberry

Trebor,

The same thing happened to me in my first two weeks till I learned to clean it every 8-10 days.  Give it a good cleaning and it will be fine.

Hackberry

MudBud

Too funny you mention this mine did the same thing last night.  Of course you always think of it bridging, clean out the reaction chamber and should be good to go. Well it sat 8 hours today and got home, wood burning a little and temp at 139.  Checked all the air holes even the hole to the reaction chamber, loaded it up and nothing higher than a degree.  Leave the damper open and go inside, temp jumps up to 155.  Close damper and temp hovers, open again and temp climbs to 166....now waiting to see what happens.  Every so often this happens for no reason why.  It doesnt matter of the wood I use.  I even shut off the heat to the attic to get the temp to rise, no luck. 

Its just one of those things that happens for some reason.  Temps here last night and today range from -9 to +18. 

MudBud

Finally it took approx. 2 hours to get it back to 185.  After watching it for some time, I go right back to the problem of the side air induction points having a little too much ash in the way. Scraped both sides away and that made a huge difference.

trebor64

Ok, e-classic back on track. Emptied it, cleaned and working great now. Amazing how sensitive these are!! Thanks for the inputs./Trebor

leeallen

I have had almost 11 months operating my eclassic- possibly the most in the Northeast.
Keeping the reaction chamber cleaned out  and the air holes free of ash and creosote are major keys.From experience - to jump the water temp 20 degrees - keep the reaction chamber cleaned out, hole open on the bottom of the burn chamber( I have taken out all 3 metal rods), and burn DRY split wood (small in nature) and you will be happy. The eclassic is a finicky unit  - the old classic was bullet proof - new technology requires a new set of standards. Good luck!!!!!!!

mikey

I have the same problem with my e-classic keeping the temp up is always a problem. keeping clean does help , I thought about taking the rods out of the bottom , will that void the warranty?
Mike

leeallen

My dealer told me to take out one , two , or all 3. It allows the coals to drop more easily into the reaction chamber. The new Eclassic's are coming thru with only two installed.

mikey

Leeallen,thanks I'll try that. I have a hard time keeping it up to 170 , but it is keeping everything warm at that temp so I just set it at that
Mike
P.S. it is going to be near 50 here in cental Iowa today it should have no problem keeping up

MudBud

My dealer also said to keep one out as he does.  After a month they both were gone and much better.  I burn way too much wood with nails, staples and other metal odds n ends and I like to form a nice pile in the reaction chamber.  I must clean out each week otherwise the temp wont keep up.  Free wood for a little extra work beats $8k in oil.

JJ

On my e-classic, the lable on front says to clean every day.
Dealer says every 2 weeks.

I find if I go more than 10 days, I also have trouble keeping hot (long runs on high burn).
at 14 days, reaction chamber is almost completly plugged.

I clean reaction chamber every week now, and it works much better.
I still have both rods in bottom, but I make sure air holes and grate is clear of ash when I am cleaning it out.

JJ

smlkdl

Regarding problems keeping the temp up.  I had the same problem, even after cleaning the fire box and reaction chamber.  Try shutting it down and pulling off the upper solenoid in back  (two hose clamps, pretty easy).  I found mine chock full of creosote.  Once I cleaned it out, she worked like a charm.

kenkressin

I had accidentally left the reaction chamber door off - and when I closed the loading door I heard a roaring sound.  I looked inside the reaction chamber and the sight was wonderful - a nice, clean, roaring, huge, torch-like flame coming down and and about one third of the way into the reaction chamber.  This might be a good test if you are having burn problems.  Another test might be to open the front door after the blower has been running for 15 minutes.  If you do not soon have flames licking out the top of the door opening, then I think your wood is too wet.  Of course, it matters how long your wood has been in and the outside temperature.  Remember that wet wood is typically "ice" wood - need to melt the ice, THEN burn off the water.  I clean the reaction chamber twice a week (or more) and stir the coals after each cleaning.  If you run a week without this cleaning, I would bet the system is getting pretty plugged up, depending on wood use.  I have had no problems with the eClassic going quickly up to full temperature.   I have never had the fan come on high except when I ran out of wood.  This, after a pretty harsh winter in MN.     

trebor64

My case has been resolve with a weekly cleaning and a close watch on bridging. Since then, I had no problem with temperature. I had to use a lot a green wood, so i cut it into smaller size and mix it with a little bit of seasonned. Need to prepare better for next winter though.

JJ

Hi,
I talk with wood dealer who was delivering 13 cord for next year burning.
He also has E-classic and mentioned that he had problem with holding temp and found that the upper air intake, was clogged where the tube exited the water tank.  I did not think that smoke could backfeed through air intake, but it must happen.

It looks easy to take apart to clean, as elbow to intake solonoid is held together with only hose clamps.

Wonder why central boiler fails to mention this area for anual cleaning.

JJ

Thank You Sponsors!