Sponsors:

3000 or 6000 mile Oil Change

Started by red, January 08, 2012, 09:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

This week Calif started asking people Not to change their Oil early
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

bandmiller2

I can see it now getting pulled over and ticketed for having clean oil in your truck. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

tyb525

In all honesty, the 3000 mile oil change was needed back in the day, but with today's more advanced synthetic/semi-synthetic oils you can easily go 6000 miles and have no problems (as long as you check you oil level, which you should regardless of how many mile you go between oil changes).

Although passing a law for it is a bit ridiculous if you ask me ::)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ianab

The other thing is how long it takes to do 6,000miles. If you only do 3,000 miles in a year, you should probably change the oil after 12 months, no matter how many miles on the clock. Might be a lot of round town, stop start driving on a cold engine, not so good for the oil.

If you do 6,000 in 3 months, that suggests a lot of open road driving on a warm engine, and it probably fine for at least 6,000miles.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

I'm from the old school. Yes,I know oils are better,motors too,but I still like to change at 3000. I can see why not too. Would save alot. I change the tractor we mow with at 50 hours. Gets alot of hot steady usage and high rpm too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

I'm from that same school.  What year did you graduate?

I used to change oil every 3000 miles.  I think one of the benefits of that schedule was that it was much less likely that you would ever run low on oil, just because you changed so often.  My mechanic has me backed off to every 5000 miles now.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ely

i try for the 3000 mark on my stuff. i know a man who was a diesel mechanic for most of his adult life who would use the drained oil out of school buses in his own trucks and equipment... you would think he was smarter than that.

also used to work with a guy that had a 1970 something lincoln continental, that never once had the oil changed in it. about twice a year he would screw a new filter on the engine and add enough oil to get the level back up... this was in 1989... he drove that car everyday for 6 years i worked with him around 100 mile round trip.  im pretty sure he drove it until 99.
if you stuck your finger down in the valve cover the sludge was like someone pumped the grease gun inside the engine.

my dad worked at a service station when he first married my mom, someplace in texas, said there was an oilman who had a filter system on his truck that had a place on it to drop in a roll of toilet paper. he would have dad change the roll twice a month and change the oil when it was called for. dad says the oil in that engine always looked brand new even when he drained it out. this was around 1958-60ish.

Larry

Kathy bought a new Honda CRV about 4 years ago.  It has one of those electronic gizmo's that I guess counts the engine revolutions and tells ya when its time to change.  Ok, I thought we will do it since it had a 100,000 mile warranty.  The gizmo tells us to change oil about every 10 or 11,000 miles which we do.  Actually, according to the gizmo, we are changing about 1 to 2 thousand early.

As of today it has some 70,000 miles on it, runs like a new one, and does not use a drop of oil.  Were debating on wether to keep it or trade...Kathy really likes it so we will probably keep it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SPIKER

back in the day I did mine 3K as well, but now it is more like 5K or 6K usually shoot for even 5K 10 K ect makes it easier to remember as I do my own.   rand into a deal at Menards for full synthetic and picked up 2 cases so last change was more like & or 8K on my Fords, was finally down to the ADD mark and I only fill them to half way up.   

the POS Honda Passport (Isuzu) needs a quart with the fill up I think it goes 5K but take 3  or 4 quarts in between that mileage.   My truck now leaks a bit with the aftermarket oil pan the 1st one was really rusty and getting moist so I had a new pan put on & now it leaks some at the rear main.

Mark

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Chuck White

I used to have my oil changed every 3,000 miles, then yesterday I was in for an oil change and the service attendant suggested that it wasn't really necessary.

He suggested I wait for the "Change engine oil" sign to come across the odometer.  That would be around 5,000 miles, depending on driving conditions!

By the way, I had him check the oil level before he drained it and he said it was right on the full mark.

Note: I change the oil & filter in my mill every 100 hours. ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Most of us today run multiviscosity oil,the additives have a life span.If you have a real oil pressure gauge there will come a time when the oil pressure will drop slightly be it three,four,five or more thousand miles thats the time to change.Myself I do it three to four thou.Air cooled engines like used on bandmills run hot and in a dirty area,best oil is a synthetic changed often,dosen't take that much and you will add usefull life to your engine. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Every 5K just makes it so easy to keep up with oil/filter changes.  Of course with the Lombardini Diesel on the sawmill, it's oil/filter every 125 hours.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

The Jetta diesel spec is every 10,000 mile.  The generator at the mill gets it once a month.  But, sometimes we miss that. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

OneWithWood

I change the oil in my Ford F350, 6.0 every 7500 miles.  Runs like a clock.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

OWW
That ticking doesn't bother you anymore?

:) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

submarinesailor

Check out this link:  http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/15/business/la-fi-autos-oil-change-20111215

It's an LA Times article about the 3,000 mile oil change.  Believe it or not I change out my oil every 20,000 miles and the filter every 10,000.  Admittedly it's AMSOIL rated for 25,000 and their Ea oil filter rated for 15,000.  Got 257,000 on this Super Duty diesel, so I'm doing something right.

Bruce

Piston

Same as Ron, every 10,000 on the Jetta TDI as per V dubb's recommendation.  I go with every 5,000 on the f350 diesel just to make it easy to remember, i like nice round numbers.  :D

That reminds me though, I am due for an oil change on the tractor.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

TreeWinder

Change oil and filter every 5K, just easy to remember on my end.
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

sandhills

I guess I'm really old school then, I try for every 2000 on the cars/trucks and 150 hrs on the tractors  ::).  Still cheaper than an overhaul I guess.

Magicman

:)  Today's oil has graduated from the old school to a new school.  Really, you can push at least twice that on the autos and still prevent overhauls.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

This what I do and its because, engines and there componets are made of better materials than they were years ago. Gas engines are injected so the engine runs leaner and cleaner. You dont have cylinders getting the oil washed out by excess fuel. Less wear. Tolerances are closer. Oils have been made better which give you more mileage. Diesels are the same way. I cange oil on my Duramax at 10,000. At 5000 I change filter and top off oil Rotela 15w40. At 10,000 change all oil and filter. Repeat, Repeat. 150,000 so far. Not much for a diesel I know but I will drive it till it wears me out. Have a 2010 suv and I use the same oil change procedure for it. Supertech full synthetic 10w30. This may not be perfect but it will have to do. I have been doing this for about 15 years and so far so good. bg

plowboyswr

We've been changing the trucks and cars at 3000 miles. tractors and irrigation pumps at 100 hrs.  Dad's 686 international he bought new in '79 has 11000 hrs and still no overhaul.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Thank You Sponsors!