The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Practicality of wood gas electricity.  (Read 7602 times)

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
    • Share Post
Re: Practicality of wood gas electricity.
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2021, 10:45:21 AM »
Engines run well on wood or charcoal gas and the use of them during WWII saved thousands of lives and over a million woodgasifiers were built by companies such as Electrolux. Without fossil fuels for agriculture and transport starvation would have occurred on a massive scale.

The present day wood gasifiers are far better at producing clean gas than the Imbert style from WWII and they would make perfect sense today in an emergency situation. Presently there are many woodgas and charcoal vehicles built and driven in the US and worldwide. In remote flycamps where wood fuel is available  woodgas would make more sense than flying in barrels of fuel over long distances.

I like my gasoline but driving on woodgas is fun and handy to have if needed. I've driven a couple thousand woodgas miles on my 82 F150

Charcoal gasifiers that produce clean engine gas can be built in a day if the materials are on hand. We run a 12HP garden tractor with it and pulls quite well. Making a 1/3 of a barrel of charcoal takes little time to load but longer to grind and sort.

Here is a video showing the diversity of the wood gas vehicles from WWII

eg  tregar  meste  på  Tulla, for  ho  var  krulla  i  ulla.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2021, 11:37:20 AM »
neat.  that makes you and puffergas for the only two ive encountered who have done it.  most are just talk and internet links. 
Isaiah 48:10

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=8539  Member Ron has built a woodgas truck and a farm tractor and him and his family have hosted a few woodgas large gatherings.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=57556.msg906294#msg906294

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2021, 01:27:38 PM »
It's all related to what you want to do regarding a lot of alternatives ..You  could build a spring house instead of paying the power company for electrical power to run a refrigerator  if you wanted to ..I just would not want to walk a quarter mile  to the spring when my cold beer is in my garage 20 feet from where I'm sitting typing away with one finger .--Besides that I don't have a spring ----
Plus you could cut firewood with a bow saw ,I have one .I also have 40 or 50 chainsaws .I'll never wear out my bow saw . :)

Offline Paul_H

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2021, 03:18:19 PM »
Each to his own,I heard of one crazy begger that made a cylinder sleeve for chainsaw :D ;D

Offline Joe Hillmann

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »
I would say wood gas is only useful for making electric in fairly rare conditions.  I build a wood gas generator for a 5 hp engine.  It worked but cleaning the gas and the need for bone dry wood of the right size made it very difficult to use.  If the wood had a tiny bit too much moisture, or the gasafier was running too cool it would gum up the intake valve with tar and the engine would have to be taken apart after the run to clean it.

I assume charcoal would solve that problem but then you have to make the charcoal.  If you can make charcoal and harvest the heat from making it to heat your home it would make it more worthwhile.

If you want power for a large number of hours the maintenance, and wear on the engine and gasafier will be high enough that you will soon decide you are better off using some other method to produce your electricity.  Solar is cheap.  Wind works in some locations.  Moving water has lots of power.  Battery storage is where things get expensive.  Reducing your power consumption and timing your power use at times of peak production will allow you to use a much smaller battery bank than what you need at first glance.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2021, 06:30:30 PM »
Have to wonder if a Sterling cycle engine wouldn't be more practical as a generator?

You have a wood fire going to produce heat / hot water, and use some of the heat to power a small Sterling engine connected to an alternator / battery etc. You aren't worried so much about the efficiency as the rest of the heat is being used for other things. 

Like Joe says, if you are off grid you want to minimise your electricity usage. The essential things like lighting and electronics can be made fairly low draw. The heating / cooking / hot water are the high load things, so take them out of your electric system. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2021, 10:31:23 PM »
Each to his own,I heard of one crazy begger that made a cylinder sleeve for chainsaw :D ;D
guilty as charged  :D

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2021, 09:45:56 AM »
Scroll down to Ron57's wood burning truck:  LINK

I wish that there was a video. :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2021, 02:52:35 PM »
i built a small wood gasifier using 2 old propane tanks. The idea was to use wood gas to run a generator for standby power. Then had one of them "aha moments" why can't we store woodgas or convert it to something that would be long-term storeable. There is a nearby chemical plant that uses natural gas (similar to wood gas) as feed stock to produce several different products some of which are flameable liquids. So ran my idea past an engineer there. Turns out the germans developed such a process during ww2 to produce diesel fuel from coal. Requires pressures above 2500 degrees at temps above 1000 psi in the presence of catalysts. Definitely not suitable as a back-yard project. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline peakbagger

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2021, 05:24:01 PM »
Fischer Tropsch process.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2021, 09:33:06 AM »
I'd imagine about anything in raw crude oil would be in coal, peat, wood .It's just the method of extraction as to  what you might get out of it .Good exercise in the fields  of physics and chemistry .Interesting subject for certain  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
wood to electricity

Started by JimMartin9999 on Alternative methods and solutions

11 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 12:12:57 PM
by Warbird
xx
Generating electricity from wood waste

Started by Kansas on Alternative methods and solutions

84 Replies
Last post November 04, 2011, 10:57:28 AM
by jpgreen
xx
Wood fired, steam/electricity generator.

Started by robdunn on Alternative methods and solutions

13 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 04:53:52 AM
by Meadows Miller
xx
Practicality of steam power generation

Started by Paul_H on Alternative methods and solutions

20 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 11:25:38 AM
by Gary_C