iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turbosaw Weekend Warrior

Started by TractorBoy78, February 20, 2014, 03:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TractorBoy78

Currently slabbing on my middle TN farm with a granberg mill but lusting for a practical truly portable mill that can go to the stump.  Anybody out there using a turbosaw weekend warrior?  Like the concept but wondering about reality.

Thanks-

TractorBoy78

firecord

There fairly new. I havent heard of one being used around here.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, TractorBoy78.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

I saw one in action today at the oregon logging conference.
It would be handy for trimming over sized logs down to fit on the mill,
They are out of spokane wa.
the larger one is under $10,000
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF TractorBoy78

I too have been interested in hearing more about the Turbosaw myself.

maybe a swingmill would suit your needs??

DGDrls

54Dutchman

I have the saw (weekend warrior) have not made chips yet ::) bit cold in my area.  Not a portable as I would like, the main beam is large and not light.
Will be doing set-up as the weather improves.
This not a tried and true product, but is being upgraded as they gain experience.

dgdrls

Quote from: 54Dutchman on February 21, 2014, 08:48:28 AM
I have the saw (weekend warrior) have not made chips yet ::) bit cold in my area.  Not a portable as I would like, the main beam is large and not light.
Will be doing set-up as the weather improves.
This not a tried and true product, but is being upgraded as they gain experience.

We will look forward to your report ;) 

Best
DGDrls

Ianab

Quotemaybe a swingmill would suit your needs??

It is a swingmill, just a smallish one that uses a chainsaw powerhead to drive a circle blade. Advantage then is that you can tilt the whole engine and blade together, no gearbox needed, just a drive belt to get the blade rpm correct.

I haven't seen one in action, but I've cut a lot of wood with an older Peterson chainsaw powered mill, so I know the idea works pretty well. Also, although the Turbosaw name is pretty new, the guys behind it have a LOT of experience in the Swingblade sawmill business. I'm confident if they are selling it, it will work.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dgdrls

Quote from: Ianab on February 21, 2014, 07:23:02 PM
Quotemaybe a swingmill would suit your needs??

It is a swingmill, just a smallish one that uses a chainsaw powerhead to drive a circle blade. Advantage then is that you can tilt the whole engine and blade together, no gearbox needed, just a drive belt to get the blade rpm correct.

I haven't seen one in action, but I've cut a lot of wood with an older Peterson chainsaw powered mill, so I know the idea works pretty well. Also, although the Turbosaw name is pretty new, the guys behind it have a LOT of experience in the Swingblade sawmill business. I'm confident if they are selling it, it will work.

Ian

Right on Ianab,  I was thinking a swinger on high rails the size of a Lucas or Peterson 

DGDrls

TractorBoy78

Thanks for the input.  Used to work with CAT and have done manufacturing.  Came to fixate on the unit for several reasons.   Follow a tractor-trailer down the road.  Body flexes and the doors do not.  Such twisting may also apply to a traditional band saw. Wood-Miser and TimberKing owners have complained about wear and tear of transporting mills.  Limiting log moving reduces machinery and conceptually improving safety?  Single beam may well be a bear to tote.  Single beam seems like the next generation swing blade machine.  Those Peterson boys have it going on!  They have an incredible story of perseverance.  Lesson to us all.  I just need to rob my IRA and quit yacking.  Life is short and what is worthy of our time?

thecfarm

TractorBoy78,welcome to the forum. Yes,do things when you are young enough to enjoy the toys and yourself. I have seen some plan for a good life in later years and the later years only last for about 5 years or they never come at all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Ianab on February 21, 2014, 07:23:02 PM
although the Turbosaw name is pretty new, the guys behind it have a LOT of experience in the Swingblade sawmill business. I'm confident if they are selling it, it will work.

Ian

The 42 hp deisel version that can cut 40' is an impressive unit, even has a MM seat :D
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ianab

QuoteThe 42 hp deisel version that can cut 40' is an impressive unit, even has a MM seat

Yes, it's has a certain resemblance to the local Mahoe mills, which are a "twin saw" with a comparable beam and end stand setup. So that's another idea that's pretty well proven. Combined with the swingblade it's a good mill.

But with an all up weight of over ton, it's not exactly as portable as the smaller mills.  ;) But for real heavy duty work, it would be pretty cool.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

marcusthgault

Having virtually decided which bandsaw I was for buying ;D.
I realized that at about $8000.00 (plus electric powerhead or big saw)
The Weekend Warrior might suffice for my needs.
Cutting mostly constructional type timbers and posts/beams etc from Sitka Spruce.
Since the trees can be "set in" the same as they can be set on a bandsaw bed.
i.e. the saw can be left set up, rather than having to build a frame around the tree.
Plus not concerned about the kerf wastage.
regards,
Marcus
Theres nathing as wouldnay werk better fer been teighn asundry furst.

longtime lurker

Quote from: Ianab on February 22, 2014, 03:31:45 AM
QuoteThe 42 hp deisel version that can cut 40' is an impressive unit, even has a MM seat

Yes, it's has a certain resemblance to the local Mahoe mills, which are a "twin saw" with a comparable beam and end stand setup. So that's another idea that's pretty well proven. Combined with the swingblade it's a good mill.

But with an all up weight of over ton, it's not exactly as portable as the smaller mills.  ;) But for real heavy duty work, it would be pretty cool.

Ian

I keep going back to look at the big turbosaw. There's no such thing as an off the shelf perfect mill... but in terms of  operating principal I see it as best meeting my needs when it comes to big log capacity.

My problem is I think it's too small: needs more grunt and it's far too light to drive it hard. If they'd only beef it up to 5 tonne or so... ;D ;D ;D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

marcusthgault

Buy a scrap overhead/gantry crane from a factory.
(A 5 tonne ;D capacity model)
Mount nearer the ground and hang a big diesel driven saw offen it.
OR
Take a Gladiator, mount the beam rigid back to a wall or reinforcing frame.
So the saw blade follows a rigidly proscribed line.
Then with a hydraulic powered support trolly, move the tree, up and down, and fore and aft.
That should be the optimium set-up 8).
Perhaps clearer in my head than I can describe.

just a thought ;)
m
Theres nathing as wouldnay werk better fer been teighn asundry furst.

longtime lurker

Take one standard model Gladiator. (with the PLC upgrade etc)

Over engineer it along the lines of a Duncan Beam Saw...

http://www.diw.ca/Products.page?CategoryID=0&CurrentPage=1&ItemID=157222

weight gives stiffness for accurate high speed cutting, and means things don't break off at the first bad road.

Give it about ten more teeth and the grunt to make them bite so it can cut fast in heavy dense timbers, and enough HP left over to run a seriously fast hydraulic turner and clamp system.

Mount it permanently to the bed of a float, or lowboy as you guys call them.
Add a hydraulicly lowering infeed and outfeed system, kinda like Meadows Miller has on that Laimet of his.

Steal Meadows Millers Laimet for a high speed resaw, and for doing the little 'uns :D

Tow with Kenworth.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

TractorBoy78

Really glad to prompt flow of ideas.  Spent the afternoon ripping stickers on my WoodMaster.  Would be cool to come up with a common source design for a swing blade using readily available components. 

backwoods sawyer

JAG

What is the price for the weekend warrior 6" and 8" models?
Lucas 6-18, MS046, MS660, MS390,

54Dutchman

be careful when talking price-be sure it is delivered price!!
(ask me how I know)

firecord

Acording to emails ( I checked several months ago) price is delivered to your door.  The have a suplier here in the states. If you pm me i will give you his number. Susposedly he has some of last years models at a reduced price.

backwoods sawyer

Jake Peterson posted a 17 min video on u-tube under "MODEL 8" WARRIOR" The video shows the mill in action at the Eugene logging cofference, and covers milling 1x8 8x8 and 2x16, simple operation ;) smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!