iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need to but blades, going to try woodmaxx

Started by peterob, May 26, 2014, 12:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterob

there for a woodmizer lt28,  would you buy the 7  or 10  pitch,  there 158, 1.25   42  /45   new to sawing an want the best all around blade    thanks for the help   peter

ladylake

If sawing much hardwood go with the 7° as they will saw softwood just fine also.   You are talking about  °  not pitch.  Pitch is how far the teeth are spaced apart with 7/8" being the most common, I run 3/4" pitch for spruce now, also some run 1" pitch but I've never tried them.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

I like 7° blades for all around use, they seem to do better in difficult species. Go with the .045 thickness.
Too many irons in the fire

drobertson

Quote from: barbender on May 26, 2014, 03:54:31 PM
I like 7° blades for all around use, they seem to do better in difficult species. Go with the .045 thickness.
this is good advice,
got the sample a month or so ago, .045 7's not too shabby, in fact cut real good, pitchy pine, some with knots, no issues at all. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodNthings

I do agree! My 18HP mill is happiest in general with a 7° blade ;D
'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'80s Case rough terrain forklift
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

barbender

Please understand that I have only run 10°, in several brands, and the 7° in WM. I've heard that the 4° is good for difficult hardwoods, I had one to try but all I had to saw was knotty pine. It didn't do that well for that.
Too many irons in the fire

drobertson

the woodmax in what I sawed in knotty, pitchy pine did good, real good. 7 degree,045, conditions vary for sure, as do mills,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

slider

Ladylake ,let us know if you try the one in. pitch band I am curious how it performs .I don't cut much hardwood and 7/8 pitch works well in softwood for me.You hear much talk of hook angle and kerf settings but not much on different pitch .I know it's not a fair comparison but a while back I switched to a skip tooth chain over the standard one on my stihl and it was a big improvement.I guess the density is a big factor .

On a band mill I think horse power may have an influence on pitch ,could be wrong.I have heard the 7 degree wm bands turbo I think need a fair amount of power to perform well.Have not tried any yet.Al
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!