iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power outage well pump solution

Started by DMcCoy, November 21, 2014, 08:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

i was at the saw shop yesterday and saw a flier on these hand pumps.  Connects into house water system.
Clever!
http://www.simplepump.com/ 

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JJ

the full installation is $1600
Pump list price: HAND-OPERATED SIMPLE PUMP   $1,510

I will stick with my $400 6KW generator.

JJ

Ljohnsaw

I bought a Simple Pump and installed it last summer.  Right now, I have the hand lever on it.  Four strokes and the water is coming out.  Fifteen strokes to the gallon :D  Filling a 5 gallon can take a bit (was doing cement work).  I will be off-grid so my plan is to buy their 24v DC powerhead and run from solar to fill a holding tank (cistern) in my basement when I finish my cabin.

The only issue I've had is the top gland was leaking as you pumped.  Probably a teaspoon of water with each stroke.  They sent me a replacement part and seals.  Apparently the top part was a smidge too big and didn't compress the seals around the shaft quite enough.  Now it just weeps a little (didn't swap the seals but probably will when I go solar).  Overall a well made product.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

luvmexfood

My sister and BIL used to live right beside me in a mobile home. They moved and are now about 700 ft away from me and uphill some. Maybe 60 ft in elevation. Anyway, they drilled a well and came up with pure muddy water.

So we had a large enough pump that we could boost the pressure on and pump to them. Ran a one inch line and put a pressure reducer to my house. Don't know how much water that line stores but if we loose power I have yet to run out of water. Six days has been the longest and I try and be extremly thrifty with it. Pee in the yard as much as possible. Can't shower because no hot water.

Long story short you might want to look into a similiar arangement if you have a hill behind your house. Bury a line to enough elevation gain and you could just bury a roll of black plastic pipe. The larger the size the more storage and pressure you get. The line going up to it does not have to be that big.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

John Mc

Great! If the power goes out, I can pump water half way up out of my well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Quote from: JJ on November 21, 2014, 11:36:04 AM

JJ
That would be my prefered option also . ;D

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: JJ on November 21, 2014, 11:36:04 AM

JJ

But if you don't have a pump installed at all - what does an A/C submersiable pump cost these days?  Last one I bought came with my new drilled well (330') 25 years ago and that ran me $5,000 ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Al_Smith

As far as a pump most likely a 1/2 HP Goulds around $400 give or take retail .Of course I haven't bought retail for decades unless I have to . ;)

A well 17-20 bucks a foot .Not terrible.The water around here is 100-120 feet

Then again if it were the high plateus in Nebraska or Colorado it might be half way to China .

enigmaT120

Quote from: John Mc on November 22, 2014, 07:21:26 PM
Great! If the power goes out, I can pump water half way up out of my well.

At least you would keep warm!  I have a spring-fed cistern, so when my power goes out and I want water, I fill up buckets or jugs from the cistern's overflow.  I'll haul water in buckets up from the creek to flush the toilets or even bathe.  So far the longest I've been without electricity has been about 1 1/2 weeks, I think.  I don't think I would bother installing either of those pumps. 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

shinnlinger

I helped a neighbor install the Bison hand pump a few years ago.   It works very well and he is well pleased as they say.   
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

DDDfarmer

Just got a quote on a drilled well.

$44 per foot 6" case 100' min
$1500 testing/grouting
$100 6" cap
$300 for the drill bit.

Travel included ( I'm within their ok travel range)
sand screen and fracturing extra

Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Kbeitz

Just a lift pump... Just a small part of my collection.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

r.man

Kbeitz any double piston pumps in there?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Paul_H

We installed a Bison deep well pump today and it went pretty good with Carla helping. Start to finish was 2 hours to install six 8' lengths of pipe and sucker rods. The well casing was oblong on top so I had to make some mods with a hammer and a bit of work with a pocket knife to make the top seal fit the still somewhat oblong opening.

Our well is 90' and static level is around 15'. It's really well built and is 7 pumps to the gallon. We have a wood cookstove for heat and cooking and adequate food but water has been a concern when there are power failures and although we have a good backup generator that takes a couple minutes to setup,we've gone days without power and people, animals and gardens need water. In 2003 we were cutoff a week from the rest of the world by a flood and remained comfortable with six of us as well as an extra neighbour and ice storms have left us without electricity innumerable times.

Fitting the pump to the first section of pipe

A cool tool to hold the pipe while connecting the sucker rods then the pipe

The pump head hooked up and the safety rope tied to the cap then the sealing rubber under the cap is lowered into the casing then tightened down.

Easy to pump and can be connected to the pressure tank and feed the house if needed
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Walnut Beast

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I take it that works in plastic casing also

Paul_H

SwampDonkey

In my grandfather's day, she was all hand pumped. When we moved into great grandfather's old house 50 years ago, it was a hand pump and dad put in an electric and ran the line in. These days in new house, I just use the generator on backup, same old well. All my gardens are watered from creek water and Honda water pump, 60 gallon tank. Of course that isn't watering 5 acres. ;D  I never water from well water, and would not think of watering 5 acres from a well. Good drinking water is too precious. My well is 80 feet and has taken 4 very dry summers in a row. Never drained her in 50 years. :) I like my generator set up. Clip a switch on the breaker, turn a key to crank up the generator. We have a lot of outages here, Arthur was a week long, but most are 2 hours long. You don't have to run a generator all day anyway, you can recharge your holding tank every once in a while and recharge the freezer and fridge every so often, so maybe 4hr on 4hr off. Waste of fuel, to run one all day in a crisis situation if you don't need all that power all the time. But people will run them through the whole marathon. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Just as general info during a over load situation usually during the hot summer months the power company can regulate the voltage in sections .By driving the voltage level low things like freezers will not cycle .What they do is stagger sections to go to full voltage about 20 minutes every two hours .
They claim if the refridgerators are not open and shut often this will prevent food spoilage .

Paul_H

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 31, 2021, 06:21:19 AM
 You don't have to run a generator all day anyway, you can recharge your holding tank every once in a while and recharge the freezer and fridge every so often, so maybe 4hr on 4hr off. Waste of fuel, to run one all day in a crisis situation if you don't need all that power all the time. But people will run them through the whole marathon. :)
When we flooded in 03 the railway and highway bridges were washed out and it was over a week before any fuel or groceries could come in the valley and the lineups were long. I keep 15 gals of gasoline for the generator plus the truck and tractor are always above 3/4 tank. The nearest potable surface water here is around 3 miles away and standing in line is not my favourite pastime. We were without power in the heat of August for 3 days a few years ago and we kept the fridge and freezers going with the generator twice a day while our neighbour covered his freezer with sleeping bags and blankets and that worked well for him. 
I always tried to teach our kids to be prepared to be a help and not helpless in times of trouble and let resources be used for those that need them most and that was because my dad would often say how thankful he was to not have to look on helplessly while his children starved.

Al_Smith

Since 1996 I've only been on an extended time of 4 days without power .That happened during  the largest ice storm in the country in over 100 years  and Lima Ohio was the epicenter of it .That one took down100 plus feet oak trees over 200 years old .One inch of ice broke them like tooth picks .
During that time I ran on  a 5000 watt gasoline generator that used about 5 gallons in 9 hours .We had water, two refridgeraters ,Television and computers plus the fan for the wood stove insert  .Coffee pot and used a hot plate instead of  the kitchen range .Warm as toast with plumbing and cold beer and hot food,it wasn't that bad .I went through a bunch of gasoline which was around a dollar a gallon but I didn't freeze any pipes .

SwampDonkey

Good thing about my forced air furnace is it takes very little power in case of an outtage and in need of generator. Of course better is an efficient stove in the middle of the house if you don't want forced air. But you build a house with some kind of fall back plan. So forced air works for me. I can use convection all day long, and if sunny don't need any fire at all, zip. In 1998 ice storm all we had was a forced air furnace on convection, no generator. I think that was a 5 day deal. Down at the barn we had water on gravity fed spring, fill the cream cans. I stayed as a kid at a lady's house (1970's), she hauled all her water in cream cans from her mother's house. I been around the hauling drinking water gig and I'm not old, yet. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!