The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: How would you cut this one down?  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
    • Share Post
Re: How would you cut this one down?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »
The area this Balsam Fir is in got hit with some high winds that took down a few other trees a couple years ago.  It is also on the trail down to the stream that we use often and the reason why I have to drop it.  If it would be off the beaten path I'd leave it alone.  I cleaned up some of the other trees down last year and will finish cleanup in this area.  The chain idea wrapped up tight sounds good to me.  I'll have to re-evaluate when I get there on which cut to make. 
Lane Circle Mill
Homemade Bandmill

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 06:32:54 PM »
I like the tie them together idea. I have an oak that could work on. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline Woodhauler

• In Memoriam
  • Logging is in my blood!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »
I would drop that in a heartbeat! 75% of the fir i cut when i cut wood was rotten! I had many years growing up with a saw in my hands ! started in grammer school running skidder and by 8th grade summer vacation i was on the end of a saw everytime i wasn't in school!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
  • 36 yrs ago, cutting Ash saw logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 08:34:43 PM »
I would drop that in a heartbeat! 75% of the fir i cut when i cut wood was rotten! I had many years growing up with a saw in my hands ! started in grammer school running skidder and by 8th grade summer vacation i was on the end of a saw everytime i wasn't in school!
Most of the Balsum have a crack like that around here. I would have that tree on the ground in about 30 seconds.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Offline gjersy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 11:25:59 PM »
Some of these ideas sound good, but without being there to inspect it all i can say is be careful, have your saw sharp, and have someone there when you do it.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 04:32:53 AM »
The tree is probably not millable, at least the but end. Probably just a shell down there. But if there is no building near and it's leaning toward an opening I would just make a small wedge out of the lean side, but make the horizontal cut a bit deeper than the 45, then make the back cut. A lot of stuff to clean up if it lands on the trail, but if it's leaning and no dangers of damage, I don't work against gravity.  ;D

Been cleaning up a few blown over aspen this week. Hate trees hung up in others or walking under them. :D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter