iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New owner. New videos 07/23/2021

Started by Satamax, August 15, 2015, 03:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Results

And, while i was at it, i have sawn a big poplar. 

This is the biggest diameter log i have put on the saw, so far. A good 20 inches, or more. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

DDW_OR

great wood pattern
8)   
"let the machines do the work"

Satamax

Thanks a lot DDW. 

Everybody. 

Just a drying question. 

The ash has been outside for at least three years. How much drying time do you think i need before i can use it?  Would have it been dried, it would have been sold by now. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

Hello guys. 

Well, the new baby is home. Not in it's final spot, which needs clearing up. But it's here.   

The final spot will be where the tall stepladder is in the background. A friend insists on making a little concrete slab there. 

Satamax

Back on duty! 

Dang i look fat! 

VID 20190520 194103 - YouTube

The generator sounds far quieter than my old screaming jimmy. 

frazman

First time I see a mill that can give a ride while cutting. Very interesting and nice mill...

Satamax

CD has been making those since the late forties!  Mine is from the seventies i think. 

DDW_OR

Quote from: Satamax on November 10, 2018, 07:44:41 AM
Just a drying question.

The ash has been outside for at least three years. How much drying time do you think i need before i can use it?  Would have it been dried, it would have been sold by now.
use a moisture meter.
I do not know which one to use. do a search on the forum.

Satamax

Hi everybody. 

I have three electric claws, or log dogs. 

Spaced 9.5 fret appart. For 19 ft total clamped tree length. 

Do you think i need more? Bed is 40' useable length.

Thanks guys. 

DDW_OR

add one between the 9.5 foot clamps for short logs?
and one more 9.5 foot would be OK.

Satamax

Thanks DDW_OR. 

Well, for the moment, for short logs, i clamp one end, and i have four mobile rests, with holes  in them, for wooden stops. So it doesn't move too much. 

I will make myself a wired "remote control" for the claws.  I have scavenged a 6 hole box, for 6 knobs. Open-close. Times three. That will make my life easier when squaring. 

Satamax

Well, first destroyed blade! 

This one was doomed! 

I reversed without raising the head once too many! 

It caught the front guards etc. I also have lost the second gear. I can only go slow. 

Mind you, the corded remote control is "genius" for me. 

Satamax

My first cants., to make joists.

Satamax

Guys, i'm back on track. I have gotten rid of the cable above, and made a follower cable. A system loosely based on old cable drafting tables system. The cable is attached at saw's chariot base.Which goes to the end of the track on a pulley, returns back to the other end of the track Does a quater turn upwards, to reach another pulley attached to the shed's ceiling. And goes back to the top of the  raise and lower column of the saw. The electric cable is attached on this metal cable with little pulleys riding on it. And making dangling "loops" (is that the right word? It's the same arrangement as in the video above) 

I have changer the bearing polyethylene plates of the blade guide. Tuned it  tight at the beginning, on the tensionned blade. Only to discover after few cuts, that it had either loved, or it's been eaten by the blade. And i always have the problem of the blade doing a slight climbing cut on entry. For may be a foot.  As can be seen on the two pics bellow. And also it dips a tiny amount between that spot and the end of the log. Between 1/8th to 3/64th. 

Satamax

Not funny. I had bought a high density polyethylene ofcut to re make my blade guide. It is worth zilch! It is a right pain! Back to searching.

Satamax

Well, another type of pads. Pe hd again. Older, and may be harder. And a little lube modification. We'll see how it goes. 

nativewolf

Good luck with those.  Now that you're doing all this sawing, and the pics are great fun, maybe put up a thread in the sawing section because all the sawyers will see and maybe comments will be more..useful.  
Liking Walnut

Satamax

Quote from: nativewolf on July 23, 2021, 05:59:21 AM
Good luck with those.  Now that you're doing all this sawing, and the pics are great fun, maybe put up a thread in the sawing section because all the sawyers will see and maybe comments will be more..useful.  
Hi Nativewolf.
What do you mean by the sawing section? This thread is in sawmill and milling. I thought it was good enough.
Here a few vid of the "cable follower" for the power supply. You can sus the cables at the bottom tucked on the side of the rail. Attached at the bottom of the saw with few puleys. And attached at the top of the column.

Sawmill cable follower power supply 1 - YouTube

Samill cable follower 2 - YouTube

Sawmill cable follower 3 - YouTube

Sawmill cable follower 4 - YouTube

Satamax

Dang,  I touched two stones this morning. On a fresh'ish blade. I'll have to sharpen soon.

Do you think I should try to cut something out of that leftover bellow ?  

Cutting straight as an arrow, because of the stones! :( 

An hour and a half, to cut those two  beams, which are going to be transformed into 3"x 3" And three 10"x1" planks. Turning by hand without cant hook is a pain! Lifting one end without toe boards too! 

samandothers

Looking good! That is some big wood, maybe a modification in order for a turner and toe board!

Satamax

Quote from: samandothers on July 26, 2021, 07:33:41 AM
Looking good! That is some big wood, maybe a modification in order for a turner and toe board!
You bet mods are in order. May be not soon. But i want to do that. New electric cable. The actual one is 4 times too small. 
Chain or sprocket log turner. 

Hydraulic toe boards

And a debarker. 

Satamax

Some other wood i snatched for the sawmill. Swapping for the same volume in split firewood.

Satamax

Made myself a homemade cant hook or is it log turner?  At last!

Thank You Sponsors!