iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not the Pump

Started by Magicman, October 05, 2015, 06:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

While sawing I noticed that the clamp seemed slow.  Maybe my imagination but I will look closer next time.  Yup, slower, so how about the loader?  Yup, much slower, but the hydraulic motors were rebuilt last year.  Open the cover and sure enough, hydraulic fluid coming out or the non-working pump.

No voltage from the solenoid to the pump, so I go to the toolbox for a replacement solenoid.

It was a relatively quick fix.  New solenoid and the pump is drawing ~90 amps. 

The customer is impressed and we finished sawing the job.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm glad someone else knows how I felt the other week.  :D

Glad you're up and running Lynn. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

Magic,
You are a sawmill fixing machine!  Especially with the customer breathing down your neck, which even makes it more difficult.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

During these years of sawing, I have pulled off several "fixes" such as this with the customer watching.  I take advantage of the situation and impress upon them that they not only hired the sawyer that would produce the best lumber, but also one that knows his sawmill inside and out and knows how to analyze and keep the sawmill in tip top shape. 

That is taking a breakdown and turning it into an advertising situation.  If you are gonna blow a horn, it might as well be your own.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jemclimber

Thanks for sharing the many scenarios and fixes you encounter. Lots of people read and learn without ever saying anything, myself often being in this category.
lt15

canadianwoodworks

Nice fix, feels good to get it fixed, understand what's going on then keep on milling!

Seaman

MM, nice fix ! Have you posted a list of the spare parts you carry to the job with you? Being new at this I would love to see it .
Thanks, Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

hackberry jake

I purchased a similar volt meter last week to use at work. It was $5 at the local hardware store in the discount bin. I have a $200 Fluke I use at home, but the little cheapie gets the job done and it hasn't walked off yet.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

slider

I just go to Custom sawyers when i need a part quick. It's closer than Newnan and i can always weasel him out of a free beer.
al glenn

Magicman

Quote from: Seaman on October 07, 2015, 07:04:22 AM
MM, nice fix ! Have you posted a list of the spare parts you carry to the job with you? Being new at this I would love to see it .
I carry very few spare parts, but that solenoid is a must.  I also have a microswitch for the hydraulics, a couple of blade guide rollers, and a repair kit for the blade guide motor.  There are probably a few other odds & ends, but nothing major. 

Sixacresand

Good job, MM.  If it had been me, I probably would have limped back to the house and called WM to tell me what to do.  Or call MagicMan. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!