What do these do?

Started by 711ac, November 19, 2022, 04:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

711ac

What are these dangling metal "bars" for?

I can't figure out their purpose and nothing about them on the WM site.
They swing both directions of head travel, I can't see it as a broken blade catcher or any OSHA type safety device. 
I'll probably be embarrassed by the answer and have been tempted to ask since they added them,but for the life of me I can't see any purpose in them. 

Ljohnsaw

They are part of the drag-back system.  They keep the board running straight when the drag-back catches the end of the board as you return the head.  Maybe the other part has been removed?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

YellowHammer

Yes, they guide the board back to keep it relatively straight during the drag back cycle.  Without them, there is a chance of the leading edge of the board swinging left or right, and it if veers inboard, and you are using a command control console, there is a real chance of it breaking your leg.  Some people that don't have them will use their hand on the sawn board to stabilize it during the dragback cycle.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

711ac

Thanks guys!
That had crossed my mind but I figured that there would be more of them to keep it real straight. Yh's "relatively straight"
made me smile, that's why it was eliminated in my little brain as the purpose. 😄
I'm a subscriber and watch (and like) them all.👍

barbender

That was absolutely mesmerizing, Southside😂
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

That's @Percy video. I say it needs the Herbie Hancock "Rock-it" playing to it.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows