iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40HD muffler

Started by jdtuttle, August 25, 2009, 07:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtuttle

I have a 92 LT40 HD & it's time to replace the muffler. I had it welded once & patched a couple times with muffler tape. The problem is the replacement muffler is $260.00. I was thinking about cutting the exhaust pipes off where they enter the muffler & attaching two small mufflers. I can do this for $20.00. Anyone ever do this? Am I creating any potential problems?
Thanks,
jim
Have a great day

Chuck White

I would think that installing a stack on each cylinder would work very well.

In-fact, my FIL's 92 manual LT40 has a couple of small holes in it's muffler and he intends to replace it soon with 2 stacks going straight up with a flipper on the top of each!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Captain

25 hp Kohler??  I may have a used one around somewhere....

Captain

jdtuttle

Thanks Captain but it's the 24hp onan. I picked up the parts this morning for $36.00.
Jim
Have a great day

backwoods sawyer

The local forest protective association, out here likes the fact that woodmizer has both the turbo and the spark arrester which lowers the amount of fire protection that I am required to have on site when the mill is running. Cheaper is not always the best rout to go. I do not know how much portable milling you do but there always seems to be a dry field, or some low hanging branches that could light up very quickly with a hot spark to assist them.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

jdtuttle

Thanks for the info. I don't do alot of portable milling now but will if the opportunity comes. It never occured to me that I could be creating a potential fire hazard. At home there is alot of sawdust around the mill & an errant spark is the last thing I want. I'll have to save up the $260.00 for the new muffler. Safe is always cheaper in the long run.
Thanks,
Jim
Have a great day

jdtuttle

Just ordered the new muffler for 236.00 :'(
Have a great day

Thank You Sponsors!