iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Alternator Mount Issue

Started by Ga Mtn Man, February 23, 2014, 07:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

I was checking the alternator belt tension on my LT40HD when I noticed the alternator had quite a bit of fore and aft movement.  Further investigation revealed that one of the two bolts that hold the alternator mounting bracket to the engine tilt plate weldment was missing.  To get better access to the bolts I removed the alternator and the mounting bracket and found this:

The bottom bolt is sheared off in the hole and if you look closely at the top hole you can see the shiny ring at the bottom of the hole caused by the bolt bottoming out.  I put the bracket back on with just the top bolt and confirmed my suspicion that the bolt bottomed out before tightening properly against the bracket.  Also you can see the pattern left behind by star washers that were placed between the bracket and weldment, I assume to help keep the bracket from moving.   Having the star washers in that location effectively creates a pivot point with the weight of the alternator and the vibrating pull of the belt  levering on that point.  This doesn't seem like a good idea to me and I suspect it is responsible for the bolt shearing off.  I extracted the broken bolt, used a shorter bolt for the top hole and left off the star washers and all is well again (assuming the bracket doesn't move). :)

Anyone else had a similar problem?

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Sixacresand

GMM,  You found the problem during an inspection and got it fixed before it broke down the job.  That's what you call preventative maintenance.  Good job.  I will watch out for that on my mill.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MartyParsons

Hello the star washer would be to help with grounding the alternator. I have never see this issue. I would think the hole should of been drilled through?
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Brucer

I had a similar problem with the box housing the EFI computer on my mill. There were two very long bolts running to the base of the engine, with star washers to cut through the paint and ground the unit. One of the bolts fatigue failed and it certainly looked as though the whole unit could rock on the star washers, causing excess vibration.

As it happens, my unit already had a separate ground wire so I got rid of the star washers. In your situation you could sand off the paint and apply a conductive grease to prevent the bare metal from corroding (IF grounding becomes an issue).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

backwoods sawyer

I have a different mount then yours but have had alternator bolts shear off and guards crack from vibration as well as holes waller out in the mounts. The Kubota is mounted solid to the head and the alternator gets a lot of vibration, I Keep the bolts tight and check regularly. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Brucer on February 23, 2014, 10:40:14 PM
I had a similar problem with the box housing the EFI computer on my mill. There were two very long bolts running to the base of the engine, with star washers to cut through the paint and ground the unit. One of the bolts fatigue failed and it certainly looked as though the whole unit could rock on the star washers, causing excess vibration.

As it happens, my unit already had a separate ground wire so I got rid of the star washers. In your situation you could sand off the paint and apply a conductive grease to prevent the bare metal from corroding (IF grounding becomes an issue).

The alternator does have a chassis grounding wire but think I will take your suggestion.  Can I find conductive grease at an auto parts store?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Nomad

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 24, 2014, 08:24:48 AM
Quote from: Brucer on February 23, 2014, 10:40:14 PM

The alternator does have a chassis grounding wire but think I will take your suggestion.  Can I find conductive grease at an auto parts store?

Yes, any Napa should have it.  Otherwise, try a boat shop or marina.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Jim H

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. I used a grade 5 bolt to replace the one that broke.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

sawman

Dad said this happened on ours today. Both bolts broke on him.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Sixacresand

Georgia Mountain Man.  Your ears should have been burning this morning.  Found this going on this morning before starting up.  Easy fix, gotta bring out the Metric tools.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ga Mtn Man

:o Did it fall off while you were running?

This is an assembly/design defect that WM needs to correct.  Anyone from Wood-Mizer reading this?

beenthere

Hard to draw any firm conclusions from the few facts that we know.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sixacresand

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on August 11, 2015, 09:48:09 AM
:o Did it fall off while you were running?
I really don't know how long the bolts have been broken.  Tbe tension bracket was keeping the alternator from falling off.  I noticed with the replacement bolt the top bolt bottomed out before compressing the lock washer so I added two spacers.  I saw this your in original post.  I did not remove the star washers but do not see any need for them either.  There is a ground cable attached.  The next time they break I will take them out. 
   Since it is still under warranty, I notified WM of the problem.  Hope it is a defect that WM can remedy easily.   Meantime they are sending me two new replacement bolts.

pineywoods

I have seen the exact same problem on a friends super.  Matter of fact, I welded up the broken parts for him and installed new bolts.  BUT, that was on a 97 mill with 7500+ hours on it. Problem seems more prevalent on mills with diesel power, they do shake and vibrate a bit more.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Would the cause of the breakage be from traveling and hitting pot holes, rough dirt roads, etc.

I'm probably wrong as usual, but I don't think that would happen on a stationary mill.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 11, 2015, 04:18:09 PM
Would the cause of the breakage be from traveling and hitting pot holes, rough dirt roads, etc.

I'm probably wrong as usual, but I don't think that would happen on a stationary mill.
Could be.  Mine is not stationary. 

Jim_Rogers

Today, one of my errands was to take my spare alternator to the repair shop to have it rebuilt.
They tested it and it worked fine.
The mounting bracket on the front cover had an oblong hole in it and they are going to replace the front cover.
Hopefully for only $30.
I was expecting to pay over $100 for a rebuild.
I'll let you know how I make out.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Cutting Edge

I've observed the same issue on an LT40 Super with a 38hp Kohler .

Bottom bolt broken off below flush, identical to the picture Ga Mtn Man posted.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Jim_Rogers

I picked up my alternator today, $40 for a new end including installing it.

Jim Rogers

mometal77

I found it harder and harder to find (rebuilt kits) for anything.  I did find a rebuilt kit for my cummins starter which was 70 bucks on craigslist a guy in utah sells them cheap.  Vs from the dealer a lot more money i was quoted almost 600. You take the serial and input it into e bay.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Jim_Rogers

Here is my spare alternator with a new end cap:

In spare parts box right now.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!