iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paul Harvey

Started by TexasTimbers, September 12, 2008, 11:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I have been hearing him doing Husqvarna commercials lately. He pronounces it "Husk-varna" with no "a" as I have always heard it pronounced. I have also been seeing Husky commercials lately and the announcer also pronounces it the same way. Is this how the Swedes pronounce it?

Swede, if you see this I hope you'll fill us in. I have been hearing it "Huska-varna" ever since I first introduced to the name when I rode a friends dirt bike in 1975 or 76.

I think I remember Paul Harvey saying one time he only endorses products he has used or researched. I wonder how many chords he has cut? :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ely

i am not sure, but while you got the swedes on the phone ask them how they pronounce "protien" for me. that crazy paul has made me wonder about him and angel more than a few times. the way he wordsmiths some of that stuff out. :D

TexasTimbers

Swede is a member here ely, sorry I should have made that clear for everyone who might not know that.

I don't think I have heard Paul say protien spell it out fuh-net-ick-lee so we can all hear him say it. 

thedeeredude

Hmm.  I always said husk-varna but the guys I work with say huska-varna.  Theres no a after the q though.  HUSQ-VARNA or HUSQA-VARNA.  I dont know its just the way Ive said it forever.

WildDog

Husk varna down here, sometimes Husk vunna or Husk vaaaarna
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

We say it the same way that you say it,TT.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rocky_J

3 syllables, not 4. There is no A between the Q and the V. Husk-Var-Na. The extra A just gets added in through laziness because that combination of sounds does not exist in English words. We are used to having vowels in between that many constanant sounds.  :D

rfalk

Spent a lot of time in Sweden....I believe the Swedish pronunciation is "hoosk-varna". No "a" At least, that's how I always heard it said.
Wood engineer, woodworker, chainsaw miller, bandsaw miller, all around lover of wood.
Stihl 026, 361, 076 AV

Dale Hatfield

Thats how all the sweeds Ive been around said it . Hoosk varna
The sweeds would be Soren and  some fowarder reps  and a couple of carving frends from across the big pond.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

bandmiller2

Guess thats why we all just callem Huskys
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Warbird

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 21, 2008, 08:39:21 AM
Guess thats why we all just callem Huskys

The only Swede I know who owns a Huksy calls it just that!

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine that has a swedish grandfather said it is pronounced "hoos varn" with only a little a at the end of "varn", not a full "varn-UH". Confused now? I, too, call them Husky's mostly.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TexasTimbers

I never even heard it any other way except how us lazy Texans say it. We don't just put an "a" in t it, it's where we put the emphasis.

husk-uh-varr-nuh.

If those Swede's want to mispronounce things who are we to care. ;D

LorenB

While we're on the subject, does anyone else here care that there is no "X" in "espresso"? 

How about "nuke-lee-ar" versus "nuk-you-lar"? 

Does "potato" have an "E" at the end?  Is it "potatoe"? 

Does it really matter if Dan Quayle can't spell it?  I'd vote for him anyway. 

Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Tom

The only thing that bothers me of those is potatoe.  It makes my eyes hurt, even though I find myself putting an "e" on it too.  Then I study it, knowing something is wrong.

I never got the chance to know Dan Quale very good.  The media always had him wrapped up in spelling contests or some inane "gotcha", acting like the tattle tale in elementary school. :)

LorenB

Quote from: Tom on October 13, 2008, 09:36:36 AM
The only thing that bothers me of those is potatoe.  It makes my eyes hurt, even though I find myself putting an "e" on it too.  Then I study it, knowing something is wrong.

I never got the chance to know Dan Quale very good.  The media always had him wrapped up in spelling contests or some inane "gotcha", acting like the tattle tale in elementary school. :)

Tom,

I'm with you.  There are lots of words that I recognize as misspelled that I still can't spell correctly.  The misspelled word just makes my eyes hurt.  (I never heard it phrased quite that way, but it's a good turn of a phrase.)  For years I couldn't spell worth a hoot.  Then I got a computer and much more of my communication was written.  A good spell checker nagged me for so long that I finally started to remember not to put an "E" at the end of "potato". 

As a coffee nut (as opposed to a coffee bean), I don't like to hear people talk about an "expresso".  I see that there's another forum member who roasts his own coffee.  I'm glad to know that I'm not totally alone in my search for the perfect cup of coffee. 

Dan Quayle is from Indiana, so I sort of paid attention when the media picked on him.  Now they're picking on Sarah Palin, although I haven't heard them make fun of the way she says "nuk-you-lar" instead of the correct pronunciation. 

I always liked what I heard Dan Quayle saying.  I actually WOULD vote for him. 

Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Tom

I guess I'm one of those "nuts" that says expresso.  I'll have to work on that.  Not being an espresso drinker, it has never been an important word in my vocabulary.  I do consume large amounts of cougheigh though.  ;D

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Tom on October 13, 2008, 11:05:52 AMI do consume large amounts of cougheigh though.  ;D

Cougheigh sounds like esspensive stuff. ;D

Tom

It's grown in Scotland.  :D  It's really especial :D :D

John Mc

Quote from: LorenB on October 13, 2008, 09:59:34 AM
Now they're picking on Sarah Palin, although I haven't heard them make fun of the way she says "nuk-you-lar" instead of the correct pronunciation. 

Nuke-you-lar is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. How you get that from Nuclear is beyond me. Though I think most of our recent presidents have pronounced it "nuke-you-lar", and someone once told me that's the Navy's way of referring to their nuclear subs. Maybe if we have a current or former Navy guy on here they can tell us if that's true. (I wonder if that started from one president having trouble with the pronunciation and the Navy deciding to go along with it?)

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

LorenB

John Mc,

I'm a former Navy guy, but I never served on any nuclear ships.  I made six landings on the Enterprise (a nuke) and took a tour of a couple of submarines while they were in port, but all my cruises were on conventional, oil-burning ships. 

There are plenty of sycophants (now isn't that a nicer word than the one usually used in this context?) in the Navy, but I doubt that they changed their pronunciations because of a higher-ranking officer, even extending to the president.  I certainly never would have, but I never would have made admiral either. 

I have heard, without verification, that your theory is why Spanish, as spoken on Spain's Mediterranean coast, has a lisp.  For gracias, they say "grathiath", while in Mexico it's pronounced "grasias".  I'm told that a few hundred years ago the king had a lisp and the courtiers started using one to save the king from embarrassment.  The commoners, hearing the nobility speak with a lisp, imitated them and it became the norm. 

I don't think I believe that story though.  Listen to the speech of the late William F. Buckley and compare that to the speech of most American "commoners", from, say Kentucky or Tennessee.  If we commoners did actually imitate those higher-class speakers, we'd be doing it by now. 

All the different speech patterns in England also tend to support the theory that people don't follow their leaders in pronunciation. 

In the end, it boils down to the pronunciation used by educated, literate people in the area in question.  I guess those requirements eliminate most politicians. 

Loren

John Mc

Thanks for the info, Loren. I figured that may have been a stretch. I do know that both President Bushes, as well as Presidents Clinton and Carter said "Nuke-you-lar".

Do you remember how it was pronounced when you were in the Navy?

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

LorenB

Quote from: John Mc on October 15, 2008, 12:11:35 PM
Do you remember how it was pronounced when you were in the Navy?

John

John,

I always pronounced it "nuke-lee-ar", but the Navy is a big outfit.  I'm sure there were lots of guys who said "nuke-you-lar".  I didn't really pay any attention to it. 

Aside: I know the following is political, but it relates to naval aviation, so here it is:
This pretty much puts things in their proper perspective:  Barack Obama has put out an ad that simple minded John McCain cannot use a computer.  Well guess what; Barack cannot land a jet plane on an aircraft carrier at night. 

Aside on the above Aside: Supposedly the reason McCain can't use a computer is that he can't type due to his war injuries; same reason he can't raise his arms above his head.  If there really is such an ad, then somebody slipped up big time at Obama headquarters. 

Loren
Loren

submarinesailor

Us nuclear weapons guys just say "nuc'em until they glow." ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

TexasTimbers

The only two three ways I've ever said it was

Nukes

Nuke-leer

Vaporize them

Thank You Sponsors!